IP5 Individual Plan Seeker, Offered Unlimited Plan Need Help in Making A Tough Choice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Oct 14, 2012.

?

Should I go for my friends offer?

1. Stick with Tmobile, wait , get the unsubsidized iPhone 5 when its available in my area.

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Accept my friends offer and get unlimited data from Verizon individual plan, pay full $ for iP5

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. Stick with tmobile, wait for whenever the iPhone is available for tmobile at subsidized proce

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jump to Verizon, pay extra for share everything plan, but get subsidized price on iPhone 5

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Starfyre, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

I am on Tmobile. A friend of mine is going to the UK for long term business trip 2+ years, he's on Verizon and asked me if I wanted to take over his data plan through something called an "AOL" process, which apparently means that I would take over his contract which has 1 year remaining, and I could use it as my own, use my own number, etc. all with the catch that I would have to buy my own phone...

I realize that the cost of an unsubsized phone is ridiculously high... and Tmobile USA is still revamping their network. I had the intention of waiting for tmobile to refarm and get the Verizon iPhone unlocked to use with it.. now I am presented with a tough decision...

I am an individual, and maybe years down the road will want to get on a family plan. I dont talk too much so 450 mins should be okay, but texting is a must... and I would like to hotspot occasionally

Please help me decide.. what would you do?

1st option is: Wait for refarm.

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

It's a no brainer accept his offer and get unlimited data:D

3. Gooberton macrumors 65816

If you can keep it forever, then yes def do it

4. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

I would probaly be able to keep it as long as I'd like, though I would officially have to pay unsubsidized forever as well, not sure if its worth the cost. And pay 30 bucks for tethering.

5. iAi macrumors 6502

Accept your friend's offer and keep saving for the next unsubsidized phone of your choice.

I am seeing myself (unless my iP5 Verizon totally breaks down or I'll lose it) using mine for at least 3 years and that I will purchase outright again the next ones. Take note next ones as I may have multiple smartphones on different OS in the next few years.

I have unlimited AT&T on an unlock iP5 Verizon but am leaving AT&T once my contract expires next year. I'll just do Verizon for a few months only off contract then will be mostly with T-Mobile or Straight Talk or ... Let's see what will happen next year!

Yeah, for me screw AT&T & Verizon, they can kiss each others' ________. :D

6. Holoshed macrumors regular

It is not AOL it is TOL, which stands for Transfer Of Liability. This means you become the account owner of everything he currently has.

In other words, take it.

7. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

If you don't mind the price of the Verizon plan, go for it. If it's an issue then just wait it out a few more months with T-Mobile.

8. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

does your friend have any intention of re-taking his plan (with the unlimited data) when he returns after 2 years?

9. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

If you can keep his plan forever then I would go for it.

400 min $40
    250 SMS $5
    Data $30
    Tether $30

Total is $105 a month

Is that worth it to you?

10. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

being that people charge stupid amounts to do this on ebay i say take it!!!:D

have a better network and unlimited data....i really hate not having unlimited anymore :(

11. sdfu93 macrumors newbie

Agree -- unlimited is why I'm going back to AT&T (grandfathered). I was testing out Verizon's network and had to constantly to watch my data use. I found my self always asking, "Do I want to pay $10 for another GB to stream this?" If Verizon worked better in my area (falls back to 2G a lot), I would have bought one of the grandfathered plans off of eBay.

12. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Indeed the Verizon plan does cost more than my current Tmobile plan, my data usage is typically close to 2GB so I wouldnt consider myself a heavy data user, though I would like at the bare minimum 3G speeds as opposed to edge.

Its really a tough choice for me as the Verizon does have a more solid network, though tmobile is refarming their 3G spectrum and is expecting 4G down the road.

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Have you checked with Verizon to see if you can even do it? I swear when they announced the Share plans they said you could not TOL unlimited data. The recipient of the plan would have to choose a new data package. I could be mistaken but I would call Verizon before I stressed to much over whether to do the deal or not. That said, I'd do it if you can.

14. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

One thing to note is that I am paying 20 bucks less than even the unlimited data plan on my friend's Verizon plan... but I get unlimited data on it as well, but only edge speeds at the moment in my area.