IP5 - Scratched out of the box - AMEX Purchase Protection

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robbiejd, Oct 31, 2012.

1. robbiejd macrumors newbie

I'm aware this is a known problem.

Damage:
    The top left of the iphone bezel has a black mark that can be seen and felt when you graze your finger along it. It appears to have been dropped in the factory.

I noticed it immediately upon opening up the phone today. White phone with black scratch/mark is very easy to spot.
    [​IMG]
    I paid retail for the phone so I could retain my verizon unlimited data plan. Is this something that American Express Purchase Protection would reimburse for? I feel bad because I've used the AMEX purchase protection recently on a pair of broken headphones.

I guess i expected more from apple for $700 spent.

Any similar experiences using AMEX to cover cost of phone as apple cannot replace phones at this time due to low-no stock?

2. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

You're past the return period for just getting your money back the old fashioned way?

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That makes no sense. It's the manufacturer's responsibility to replace predamaged products, including iPhones. Get it swapped, no purchase protection needed.

4. richmds macrumors regular

You can try Apple store for replacement.
    But just a side note I received a flawless black phone but after one week of use I managed to get something similar to your scratch from normal use. something to think about if you go through the hassle. I didnt drop it but it might have happened rubbing on a zipper on the bag I carry or banging around my cupholder while driving.

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You could try to swap at Apple, but if they don't, you cold probably live with it. Maybe try one of those magic eraser sponges. They remove almost anything.

6. 617aircav Suspended

They wont replace a device because of cosmetic damage.

7. ercsliberty macrumors 6502