iPad – Jump Now or Wait For 2g

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GMsrgr8, Oct 11, 2010.

1. GMsrgr8 macrumors newbie

I am seriously thinking about getting an iPad, but I'm getting that feeling I always get before purchasing an Apple product – I'm going to buy what I think is a great product, and a month later, they will update it to something so much better.
    Any iPad owners out there, are there enough features missing on the current iPad for me to want to wait until maybe next April for the 2g, or is it a great enough product as it is?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

At this point I would wait. The iPad is a great product but if you are on here asking this question then up-to-date specs matter to you--like they do to most here.

After owning mine since launch, I'd expect the next iPad to have more ram, a front facing camera, and a higher resolution screen.

3. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's mostly the better screen that bugging me, cos that would be much better for text/web/games/everything.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ You clearly have not seen the iPad screen in person. It's stunning. No one gave two poops about retina until the iPhone 4.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

April is hardly next month ;)

I think it is an awesome product and I love using mine!
    You can buy now and sell for the next generation and get the enjoyment
    If the new release doesn't have features you need, you don't have to replace

I am not sure the newer features I have heard rumored are worth the wait for me
    I have the 64 GB 3G right now, and I am enjoying it

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

We are a good 4 months if not more away. If the cheapest model would suit your needs, buy now and then sell it for a small loss if the new model is more desirable. More RAM is really all I want.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think a screen improvement will be the first priority--it would make using the iPad as an e-reader a richer experience along with the other things you mentioned. If Apple doesn't update the screen for some reason, I'd even go so far as to say the next revision would be a no go, no matter what other updates they may make.

8. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I suspect this is probably a wise option. It seems you owners want more RAM – I thought the iPad was pretty quick anyway?

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It is but certain apps like atomic browser give low memory warnings when gobbling up too much RAM.

10. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

You should probably wait at this point. I know exactly what you mean as years ago, I would tend to buy Apple products around the holiday season and kept getting burned by product revisions which were announced in Q1 of the following year. Took a while for me to get an idea of Apple's product revision schedule.

I expect we'll know about the next iPad within the next four months, and a release is probably less than 6 months out. The iPad is a pretty cool device (although you should try and divorce yourself from the hype and really make yourself aware of it's limitations so you don't regret not buying a laptop instead), but I imagine there will be some notable improvements. I expect improved processor speed and memory, along with the addition of one or two cameras. Maybe stereo speakers as well. Enough to make you regret not waiting a few extra months.

11. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

My main concern is that, being a 1g product, Apple are likely to make a significant revision to 2g, like they did with the iPhone. I can't see them just making a few tweaks.

12. gatearray macrumors 65816

Plus one.

All of the retina display screen whiners on these forums annoy the living **** out of me. It's funny how as time goes on, it has become a popular Internet meme and repeated ad nauseum as if surely we can all agree on this fact but the truth is, we don't all agree.

Short of my iP4, my iPad is the sharpest screen I own.

I will LMAO when rev2 is released with the same screen res as it has now. Then the complainers will need to find a new straw-man argument as to why they haven't bought an iPad yet, when in truth, they most likely couldn't/can't afford one so they feel the need to knock it, instead.

13. Touchstone64 macrumors regular

If you haven't already, get your hands on one asap. If, after half an hour or so, you're still wondering 'should I wait?', then you should probably wait.

Personally I couldn't be without mine. I've had it since launch day, and if the next revision came out today I wouldn't feel 'burned'. I've had more use out of it in a few months than I could have imagined.

14. Syk macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting till 2011 to see what Apple announces and the other tablets. I don't have one and can wait and see.

I know some people will say if you wait you'll always be waiting. That's true to a point. Technology is already out of date when u buy it. My rule is, if something is about to come out I will wait and buy it within a month or two of release(except for gaming consoles, they don't update yearly) that way I get the most use out of it before the next release.

I'd say you have a few more weeks to decide to buy or not otherwise wait it out.

It really depends on what Apple announces and the price point on how much you'd get for selling your iPad 1g. Your best time to sell maybe right after the announcement. I don't sell my old stuff which is another reason I'm waiting. I normally give it to my son, brother or parents. I've waited this long I can wait a little longer.

ETA: What do you see yourself doing with it? Is it something you think you'll use everyday. I know I'm the hated minority here that hopes Apple also releases a 7" screen along with the 10". After seeing the Galaxy Tab(Looks exactly like a iPad copy to me) hands on on youtube, that size would be perfect for my needs

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

This is exactly how I feel about it too.

16. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got myself into this kind of rut with the iPod Touch. I don't mind missing feature updates that you don't know you need until they are announced – I just don't want to miss anything that should have been on 1g.

17. Syk macrumors 6502a

Well I can almost bet you it'll be faster, more ram, storage and a camera and more than likely the base model will have the same price as the 16gb wifi. When I bought my iphone 3G 8GB it was $199, my iphone 4 16GB was $199.

If the money isn't burning a hole in your pocket. It sounds to me like you should just wait and make a day1 or soon after purchase of the 2g. If at worst the 2g doesn't offer anything you like you should be able to get a deal on a used 1g iPad.

Like a poster mentioned, go to BestBuy/Apple Store and toy around with one.

18. mstout macrumors member

Nothing wrong with waiting, but I think the screen on my iPad is stunning. It's unreal. Beautiful. Wonderful. I love my iPad as well. One of THE coolest features is reading books for research and being able to highlight things on the screen. A lot easier than doing it physically in a book and then having to flip back through it. Other than wishing it was a bit lighter in weight, I find it to be an amazing device. I'm sure the next gen will be even more wonderful. But if you're one of those people who are worried about buying in to a current product, just remember that the moment you buy the 2g, yours will eventually not be the new version on the block either.

19. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hoping to in the next week or so - they're like candy shops, really!

20. Syk macrumors 6502a

Yeah I said pretty much the same thing except it's a lot easier to stomach buying something when it's towards the beginning of it's life cycle vs when it's coming to an end.

21. hippo206 macrumors 6502

You can buy now, and then sell your 1'st gen for 70% of what you bought it for (if Apple keeps with the current pricing scheme).

I do this every 2 years. I take like a 500-700 hit on MBP's but always stay current. One thing to remember is that the holidays are coming up, and although you might not get a price break on the ipad itself, sometimes places like BB or fry's bundle stuff, and you might get one hell of a deal if you just wait a month or so.

22. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Actually, now is a GREAT time to buy an iPad. Considering that this is a first gen product it has been remarkably defect-free. I think that there is going to be a greater likelihood of defects in the 2nd gen units...if for no other reason, the added complexity of the device. (similar to the iPod Touch 4G where many people are complaining about light-leaks and clicking sounds in the recorded audio.)

23. 226896 Guest

Buy now and enjoy it, then sell it and get the 2G. Apple products hold resale value excellently.

That's what I'm doing anyway; the iPad is too amazing to not own.

24. rdstoll macrumors 6502

Wait for 2G. You're going to have to wait 5-6 months so be prepared, but having purchased and iPad only to have it stolen, I can't say I miss it all that much other than for book reading. It has to be able to do more than the current version does. iOS 4 will help whenever that comes out for the iPad (probably November 30) but as it stands it needs to do more to warrant the $$ you're going to spend for it.

25. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

waiting

seems like a very good idea, for the reasons others have mentioned.

I'm waiting for specific screenwriting apps, sync etc. I would like a better screen, but not if it will be similiar to high resolution on Macbook Pros/iMacs and will cost more out of pocket.