iPad 1 crashes/slowdowns

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Maziar, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Maziar macrumors 6502

Hey guys
    Since upgrading to iOS 5 I'm having some serious issues.

1)Overall,the UI feels more sluggish than 4.3.3. opening apps and switching between them takes notably more time.

2)It takes a lot of time to play a music from the task bar. When I hit the play button,it easily takes around 10 seconds to play it.

3)Lots of crashes in Safari(which I posted a topic about it before)

4)Safari rendering is terrible. Sometimes it doesn't load a page properly. (shows blank screen and I have to slide over the right part of the screen to see its contents)

I never had such issues with 4.3.3 or with my iPhone 4(which has the same OS as my iPad)

I also have tried restoring it,but nothing changed.

Do any of you guys experience anything like this ? if so,have you managed to fix it ?

Thanks

2. Maziar thread starter macrumors 6502

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

No idea if there are others but we have 2 of the original iPads, both updated to the latest version iOS and they're both perfectly fine. There' something else going on.

4. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

Same problem here, try turning off icloud, and notification centre, that'll help a little bit. Very annoying that we cant downgrade.

5. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

My iPad1 is running fine with ios5.01... sounds like something got mucked in your upgrade...

Try Settings/ general/ reset/ reset all. It has helped me and others.

If an App is crashing, delete and redownload for free.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

7. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Mine crashes on Infinite Blade 1 as well as when using Safari. A reboot fixes IB but if I use the iPad for anything else after playing the game I'll experience a crash every time.

As for Safari, it's not a common occurrence... it just happens every so often.

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

similar issues. no fix. restoring didn't help.

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

The performance of my iPad 1st gen. greatly improved when upgrading from iOS 4.* to iOS 5.

10. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

I swear my safari, mail and music loaded faster in iOS4... There are a few seconds of blank screen before filling in. Music coverflow has serious slowdown not only in graphics but in touch response. One of the reasons that I'm considering upgrading to iPad3.

11. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

My iPad 1 is on iOS 5 and i am not having any slow downs / crashes. I did however have them when i jail broke the unit.

it was that bad the unit was practically unusable. So it got restored.

12. penfan82 macrumors regular

I have some game apps that crash I just assumed they work on 2 other than that mine is fine

13. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

Your not the only one having issues with iOS 5 on the original iPad. I upgraded a few weeks ago and can attest that the overall UI is just more... sluggish. It was the same case between iOS 3.2 and iOS 4 as well. It's most pronounced in the music app, where its gone to the point of near unusable. iOS 5.0.1 alleviated some of the sluggishness in the general UI, probably due to the need to optimise from the multitouch gestures that were reintroduced.

14. ArchPreston macrumors newbie

ArchPreston

Mine, if anything seems faster since the upgrade?

15. sers macrumors regular

No issues with iOs 5 on my iPad 1, other than the well documented safari crashes.

16. darster Suspended

It was definitely more laggy for me as well after update. Got fed up with it, sold it and got a iPad 2 3G. iPad 2 is much quicker than the iPad 1, even before I had problems.

17. Maziar thread starter macrumors 6502

I've already turned off iCloud but can't turn off Notifications because I need it.
    No.

----------

Wish I could do the same. But I was quite happy with my iPad until I upgraded to iOS 5

18. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

I am having a lot of trouble with my iPad1 as well. Safari crashes a lot. Sometimes Safari just loads a white page. Twitter, email and various other programs crash. Even clicking on "Settings" is very slow. It takes a while, sometimes the screen/view doesn't load.

I have done a hard reset. No help. I will turn off Notifications, but the problems have been much worse over the week or so than they were immediately after the uprade.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Backup to iTunes
    2. Restore firmware
    3. Test

4. Restore iPad backup
    5. Test

20. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

Thanks!

21. Maziar thread starter macrumors 6502

I've already done this and it didn't help

22. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Same problem here

My iPad has been crashing a lot too. I tried restoring it twice in the last week, but nothing seems to help. I noticed in Diagnostic & Usage, many crashes with Safari, a few of my other apps, and lots of Low Memory errors.
    This last update hasn't been good at all, and I personally think its just too demanding for the little bit of ram installed. With ram prices so cheap, one has to ask Why Apple? Needless to say I'm not a happy camper.

I've also noticed sometimes when I'm trying to scroll a page, it causes Safari to crash, and when it tries to switch to a You Tube video for some reason. I hope they fix this issue soon, before I run out and grab a netbook to replace it. :eek:

23. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

since ios 5.0.1 is already out

>itunes
    >restore to 5.0.1
    >set up as new device, do not back up from original

that should work

24. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm at my wits' end with my iPad 1 since upgrading to iOS 5.

It has slowed down to a complete crawl. Opening up apps and getting the device to return to app screen after hitting the home button often takes several seconds...always a delay.

Plus, I've been having syncing issues. This morning I tried to add several new TV shows that I purchased from iTunes. I checked them in iTunes, hit sync, and it simply refuses to put them on there. Rebooted the iPad, restarted iTunes...nothing. No error message, but just refuses to do it! And yes, plenty of free space on the iPad.

I've already done a restore from backup, hoping that would help. I guess my next step is a factory restore, which I REALLY don't want to do, but at this point it appears to be the only thing that will help. I'm kind of holding out hope the upcoming 5.0.2 update will fix some of this nonsense, but at this point who knows.

25. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

My iPad 1 has been noticeably slower and crashes a decent amount of times since upgrading to iOS 5. I assume there is something in the update to make my experience less pleasant so I look at buying iPad 2.