iPad 1 crashes/slowdowns

Maziar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Hey guys
Since upgrading to iOS 5 I'm having some serious issues.

1)Overall,the UI feels more sluggish than 4.3.3. opening apps and switching between them takes notably more time.

2)It takes a lot of time to play a music from the task bar. When I hit the play button,it easily takes around 10 seconds to play it.

3)Lots of crashes in Safari(which I posted a topic about it before)

4)Safari rendering is terrible. Sometimes it doesn't load a page properly. (shows blank screen and I have to slide over the right part of the screen to see its contents)

I never had such issues with 4.3.3 or with my iPhone 4(which has the same OS as my iPad)

I also have tried restoring it,but nothing changed.

Do any of you guys experience anything like this ? if so,have you managed to fix it ?

Thanks

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Guess I'm the only one having this issues :/
No idea if there are others but we have 2 of the original iPads, both updated to the latest version iOS and they're both perfectly fine. There' something else going on.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Same problem here, try turning off icloud, and notification centre, that'll help a little bit. Very annoying that we cant downgrade.

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
My iPad1 is running fine with ios5.01... sounds like something got mucked in your upgrade...

Try Settings/ general/ reset/ reset all. It has helped me and others.

If an App is crashing, delete and redownload for free.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Guess I'm the only one having this issues :/
Mine crashes on Infinite Blade 1 as well as when using Safari. A reboot fixes IB but if I use the iPad for anything else after playing the game I'll experience a crash every time.

As for Safari, it's not a common occurrence... it just happens every so often.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
1)Overall,the UI feels more sluggish than 4.3.3. opening apps and switching between them takes notably more time.

2)It takes a lot of time to play a music from the task bar. When I hit the play button,it easily takes around 10 seconds to play it.

3)Lots of crashes in Safari(which I posted a topic about it before)

4)Safari rendering is terrible. Sometimes it doesn't load a page properly. (shows blank screen and I have to slide over the right part of the screen to see its contents)

Thanks
similar issues. no fix. restoring didn't help.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I swear my safari, mail and music loaded faster in iOS4... There are a few seconds of blank screen before filling in. Music coverflow has serious slowdown not only in graphics but in touch response. One of the reasons that I'm considering upgrading to iPad3.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
My iPad 1 is on iOS 5 and i am not having any slow downs / crashes. I did however have them when i jail broke the unit.

it was that bad the unit was practically unusable. So it got restored.

penfan82

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I have some game apps that crash I just assumed they work on 2 other than that mine is fine

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Your not the only one having issues with iOS 5 on the original iPad. I upgraded a few weeks ago and can attest that the overall UI is just more... sluggish. It was the same case between iOS 3.2 and iOS 4 as well. It's most pronounced in the music app, where its gone to the point of near unusable. iOS 5.0.1 alleviated some of the sluggishness in the general UI, probably due to the need to optimise from the multitouch gestures that were reintroduced.

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
No issues with iOs 5 on my iPad 1, other than the well documented safari crashes.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
It was definitely more laggy for me as well after update. Got fed up with it, sold it and got a iPad 2 3G. iPad 2 is much quicker than the iPad 1, even before I had problems.

Maziar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Same problem here, try turning off icloud, and notification centre, that'll help a little bit. Very annoying that we cant downgrade.
I've already turned off iCloud but can't turn off Notifications because I need it.
Is it jailbroken?
No.

----------

It was definitely more laggy for me as well after update. Got fed up with it, sold it and got a iPad 2 3G. iPad 2 is much quicker than the iPad 1, even before I had problems.
Wish I could do the same. But I was quite happy with my iPad until I upgraded to iOS 5

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Hey guys
Since upgrading to iOS 5 I'm having some serious issues.

Do any of you guys experience anything like this ? if so,have you managed to fix it ?

Thanks
I am having a lot of trouble with my iPad1 as well. Safari crashes a lot. Sometimes Safari just loads a white page. Twitter, email and various other programs crash. Even clicking on "Settings" is very slow. It takes a while, sometimes the screen/view doesn't load.

I have done a hard reset. No help. I will turn off Notifications, but the problems have been much worse over the week or so than they were immediately after the uprade.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Same problem here

My iPad has been crashing a lot too. I tried restoring it twice in the last week, but nothing seems to help. I noticed in Diagnostic & Usage, many crashes with Safari, a few of my other apps, and lots of Low Memory errors.
This last update hasn't been good at all, and I personally think its just too demanding for the little bit of ram installed. With ram prices so cheap, one has to ask Why Apple? Needless to say I'm not a happy camper.

I've also noticed sometimes when I'm trying to scroll a page, it causes Safari to crash, and when it tries to switch to a You Tube video for some reason. I hope they fix this issue soon, before I run out and grab a netbook to replace it. :eek:

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
since ios 5.0.1 is already out

>itunes
>restore to 5.0.1
>set up as new device, do not back up from original

that should work

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I'm at my wits' end with my iPad 1 since upgrading to iOS 5.

It has slowed down to a complete crawl. Opening up apps and getting the device to return to app screen after hitting the home button often takes several seconds...always a delay.

Plus, I've been having syncing issues. This morning I tried to add several new TV shows that I purchased from iTunes. I checked them in iTunes, hit sync, and it simply refuses to put them on there. Rebooted the iPad, restarted iTunes...nothing. No error message, but just refuses to do it! And yes, plenty of free space on the iPad.

I've already done a restore from backup, hoping that would help. I guess my next step is a factory restore, which I REALLY don't want to do, but at this point it appears to be the only thing that will help. I'm kind of holding out hope the upcoming 5.0.2 update will fix some of this nonsense, but at this point who knows.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
My iPad 1 has been noticeably slower and crashes a decent amount of times since upgrading to iOS 5. I assume there is something in the update to make my experience less pleasant so I look at buying iPad 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.