iPad 1 Crashing regardless of the app that's running

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sgear, Feb 26, 2012.

1. sgear macrumors newbie

To any iPad 1 users. I've been plagued more and more with my iPad 1 crashing, to the point that it's almost unusable. The crashes occur regardless of the app that's open.

I've taken most of the steps talked about in the forums (cleaning it up, setting back to factory defaults etc.) The only thing I haven't done is take it to an apple store.

Is anyone else having the same issues, and what recourse do we have for a product that now barely works?

Any suggestions (aside from buying a 2 or 3 when it comes out) would be most appreciated.

----------
    iPad 1 3G (AT&T)
    Ver. 5.0.1 (9A405)
    Cap. 32 GB
    Avail. 15.2 GB

2. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Try factory resetting it, but if that doesn't work, the first generation is just too "old" as it only has a single core processor and 256MB RAM.

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Does it work OK in "factory" condition with no apps added? If not you can use it as a pizza stone or a hot-plate because you can be sure, unless it is still under warranty, that Apple won't replace it for free.

If you've done a factory restore there isn't much else you can do. If it is 1 app causing the whole thing to crash you might simply add apps back 1 at a time until it starts failing.

4. GeoFan49, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

GeoFan49 macrumors member

GeoFan49

Silicon Valley, SF Bay Area, California, USA
    iPad crashes wtoo often.

*way too often

My iPad 1 crashes about twice per hour. Usually, Mail or AppStore is running a background process when the web browser running in the foreground crashes.

Sometimes, there are only one or two tabs open in the browser when it crashes. It also seems to depend on what web pages are in those tabs. More complex pages, more likely the crashes.

The crashes seemed to get more frequent after the iOS 5.0.1 update. :apple:

I've tried different web browsers, and they all crash. Same for other apps.

All I can do is hope that Apple got all my automated crash report logs and will fix this severe problem.

Update:

About 40% of iPads sold to date are iPad 1. {Apple, don't leave us behind.}

I do a hard-reset daily. Does not seem to help. Crashes occur even right after the reboot.

I joined MacRumors so I could post this.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

That's why it's called beta, for developers and not live systems.
    It's good that your letting the crash logs get submitted.

For the OP, I know many with iPad 1's and iOS5 working well. I assume you have rebooted it? hard reset? That would be first thing. Beyond that, I second/third the factory reset and try starting fresh.