iPad (1) left outside in snow and a little rain by 7 year old granddaughter.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jacy401, Dec 17, 2011.

1. jacy401 macrumors newbie

We decided that since she is barely 7 years old, we would not tell her about it this time, because she would be absolutely devistated if she knew about it. She's just so precious and thoughtful. (I had to put that in. Sorry.) There will be plenty of time to make sure that she learns lessons about responsibility, etc., but in the future. She has been completely forgiven, as I can always purchase another iPad or use Apple's replacement option. Anyway, we did not try to turn it on, but, instead, completely covered it in rice in a sealed cake pan with a tight fitting lid for about 6 full days. It had a Otterbox defender cover on it, but we felt that it might still be wet due to the length of time it was left outside. You know that, since we live in West Texas, we are certainly not used to snow and we got several inches at our home. Heck, lately we haven't been used to getting any rain since we are in what they call an exceptional drought. However, after the snow, it warmed up to a little above freezing and we had several days of drizzle. Enough rambling, and after we removed the iPad from the rice, I shook it close to my ear and couldn't hear any water inside. Does anyone have any idea about when we could connect it to the charger in order to eventually turn it on. Thanks for putting up with my rambling. I appreciate your input very much.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it's been in rice for a week you might as well try to plug it in now. Drying it out longer probably won't do much at this point.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree. And shaking to hear if there's water sloshing inside is beside the point, I once spilled tea over my desk and a little splash of it got on my iPod touch, nowhere near enough water to slosh around inside, and it still shorted the screen. (Apple genius was nice enough to replace it) If you turn it on and it doesn't work, try taking it to the apple store, maybe you'll get lucky like I did.

4. SporkLover macrumors 6502

hopefully the otterbox protected it well enough!

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

these are the times when having warranty is a godsent, i would plug it in now but i do hope that you did tell her in some indirect and non-agressive way to always check if all of her toys are inside the house before going in or something along the lines.

6. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Under current Apple replacement policy they may not replace an iPad or iPhone because of the moisture detector located inside the iDevice.

7. danahn17 macrumors 6502

8. TjeuV macrumors 6502

I aswell think it's time to give it a try
    Please, let us know how it turned out !

9. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

am not sure what "apple replacement option" you mean, Apple won't replace things which have been broken on purpose. But I am sorry to hear about your tragic loss.

10. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Keep us posted, hopefully it's still working!
    Good to hear you were smart enough to get it in the rice before trying to turn it on.