IPad 1, Now £329 plus 15% student discount

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DryEyez, Mar 5, 2011.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

The iPad one comes out, with me being a student, at £279.65. Now the iPad 2 has just come out, but at £279.65 vs the guess of the new iPad 2 being £429 as it was previously, leans me towards buying an iPad one before the week is out.

Anyone else in the same boat, I just bought my lovely new 2011 macbook pro, and I'd be thrilled with an iPad 2 to compliment it, but with the huge price difference...anyone else thinking iPad 1?

2. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I have an iPad 1, works just great. I don't really need to upgrade, they haven't changed that much. Plus £280 is a great price, I'd go with that.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I guess it comes down to whether think £150 is worth the difference or if you think it would be better spent on other things.

The reality is when you buy an iPad, you often spend more than the base cost price because you will likely invest in a few accessories. VGA cable, camera connection kit, a nice case, screen protector, a messenger bag etc... It's all extra and that £150 would go a long way.

4. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

I pretty much agree, plus, for £150.00, I could buy a damn nice standalone camera. ;) iPad one it is. I'm curious though, anyone else out there buying an iPad one at the reduced price right before the iPad 2 comes out?

5. Simbazz macrumors regular

Quick questin, seeing as it was mentioned here I think we're ok, but does the iPad come under the student discount at Apple? I was always under the impression of it not doing.

6. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I'm pretty sure all their products are discounted for students. I'm not sure about accessories though, ive never checked.

7. Simbazz macrumors regular

Ah, I was always under the impression it wasn't available for the iPad. If it is, I'm happy as larry!

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

In the US it is not eligible for a student discount.

9. Spartizan macrumors newbie

how are you planning on getting this student discount? Apple doesnt have a student discount for iPad's.. Atleast not yet.

10. Biolizard macrumors 6502

From memory, I don't think it is; I remember checking when it first came out last year. Certainly iPods aren't covered. It usually only applies to Macs and accessories from experience.

Would rather not be proven wrong as I purchased my iPad 1 on Thursday ;-)

11. Simbazz macrumors regular

Had a look around on the internet, looks like its a mixed bag of responses.

OP, apologies for hijacking your thread :p

12. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

I did check over this beforehand. It seems there are varying reports. As far as I'm aware, online there isn't one. (I can't check this very second as I'm not on a university computer I'm at home). I've heard from many many people though, that they did receive a student discount on the iPad from in store, whether this is a mistake by geniuses, who knows, but it seems it's very possible to get a discount. Also yes you do get a discount on accessories, at least again, in store you do, since I purchased my 2011 mbp in store and a few other items, all received the discount.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is it possible it is at the 'discretion' of the store?

14. Spartizan macrumors newbie

too clear this for you, there is no possible way to get a student discount on an iPad at this time. I was told by a Apple Store manager on thursday that this was the case.

15. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Student discount is not available in the UK for iPods, iPads or iPhones. Sorry!