iPad 2 • UK Proxy/VPN • UK App Store Access

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by bigkidfallsdown, May 11, 2011.

1. bigkidfallsdown macrumors newbie

I'm trying to access the UK App store from the US so that I may download the BBC iPlayer app and just kind of check out what they have.

I am able connect to a UK proxy server and a UK VPN successfully but the app store still defaults to the US app store.

Any thoughts?

2. Anup2104 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

You don't need a proxy/VPN you just need a UK iTunes login. I use the US app store here all the time, all you have to do is Log out of your current account and log into the foreign one at which point a message will come up saying this account is only valid for the (US/UK) store and then default to that store

3. edk macrumors regular

he will need a VPN to make use of the BBC app though

4. Anup2104 macrumors newbie

That's true

5. bigkidfallsdown thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you create a US account from the UK? Do you have a US bank account?

I was reading you could create an account using a redemption code if you don't have a bank account. I searched for a while last night to find UK iTunes Redemption codes to no avail.

6. anthdci macrumors 6502

slightly off topic, but to save starting a new thread.
    I'm planning on buying an iPad2 when I go over to Vegas in June. Will I be able to access the UK appstore whilst I'm over there to download some apps, or is it better I pre-download them in the UK to iTunes on my laptop before I go to sync them when I get it?

7. bigkidfallsdown thread starter macrumors newbie

for those who want the answer to my question

- so you log out of your US account
    - switch from the US to the UK there at the lower right
    - find the free* App you want
    - download it
    - create an account
    - pick None for the payment option
    - plug in an address that works for the UK
    - presto change-o world-wide App-o

for Apps you want to purchase from the UK you must procure an iTunes gift card from the UK

anthdci:

you could download them prior to coming but if you currently have a UK iTunes account you would just sign in as you normall would to download Apps from the UK. If you want US apps follow the instructions above.

I love Vegas.

8. Anup2104 macrumors newbie

And to answer the above question this works the other way around too (i.e. for a UK based person to make a US account. Theres a guide somewhere on the net for a more detailed guide but that covers it.

For the credit, as stated above you need to get US$ gift cards which is quite easy..

9. Anup2104 macrumors newbie

Vegas is awesome but the tax is not! If you're going elsewhere in the US see if you're anywhere near Delaware where there is no tax. It's FARRR from Vegas but just thought I'd mention on the off chance you're going up that way. And yes the UK account will work just fine, I used it in January from Vegas

10. bigkidfallsdown thread starter macrumors newbie

Anup2104

Know of any photographers in need of assistants? I would love to move to London.

11. Anup2104 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol sorry buddy I don't..not my line of work!

12. anthdci macrumors 6502

I thought Vegas was pretty good for tax. how much will the 32 or 64gb wifi only versions cost after tax?

13. Anelly macrumors newbie

have u deleted cookies and cache? you could also use a different VPN service. ibVPN is cheap and has good UK servers.

14. donnaw macrumors 65816

Sales tax in Vegas is 8.1% so just add that to the amount of the iPad.

I go to Vegas about 4 times a year. Even if you don't gamble you can find more to do than you can even imagine. Have fun!