iPad 2 32GB or 64GB?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dtrivi, Mar 7, 2011.

1. dtrivi macrumors newbie

Hello there maclovers!

I am torn, I plan on ordering my new iPad the exact minute it gets released but I am unsure as to what capacity I should choose...I am altogehter very indecisive about the whole thing. 32GB or 64GB, black or white, red leather smart cover or pink polyurethane....yeah well who knows what I'll choose :eek:!!!!!!!!!!

Here is my most important question. Should I get the 32GB or the 64GB?? I don't have a huge library of music, I take a good amount of photos, I love to watch tv and movies and read books, I will be using the pad for school and papers and notes. I surf the web alll the time, everytime I need to know something I grab my iphone 4....my ipad will be my new go to computer.

So what is your honest opinion....with reasons please?

Thanks so much for all of your input!!!

2. ozred macrumors 6502

I always order the least capacity, since I never load it up. I have my libraries of music videos etc, all backed up. Besides I'm not keeping it more than a year anyway. If that. I like to upgrade.

3. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Just think how often would you use your iPad away from home, and if it's the latter, for how long. If not that often, iOS 4.3 will have iTunes Home Sharing so you don't really need the larger capacity as you can always stream you content via wifi. If you're going to use your iPad away from home, think for how long you'll actually be away. I doubt you'll be consuming 32/64GB worth of contents at once in a day before going back home and re-syncing with iTunes.

4. fishcube macrumors 6502

Not sure why people think everyone wants to go home and sync on itunes all the time. Reason we buy 64GB so we don't have to sync all the time. If I am using an Ipad I don't care to hook up to a PC/laptop often.

I also don't want to homeshare and stream with wifi all the time. I want all my STUFF with me :)

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

are you going to use it for business at all? I am using it for pdf's and power points and am glad I have the larger 64gb version.

6. Rockymthi macrumors newbie

IPAD uses 4 times GB than IPHONE for same photos

When you are deciding on how much memory on the IPAD, be aware that photos take a lot more space. I have 8,800 photos on my Iphone 3gs and it uses 3.2gb and on my Ipad, it takes up 11.3! Same photos but of course, higher resolution on the IPAD.

7. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I am getting 32GB, thats only cause I want to save money. I filled up my 16GB iPhone 4 and will probably do the same to iPad 2.

8. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I had a 32GB and will be getting a 64GB this time. I agree that I can stream stuff but I'd like to have some more movies and tv shows with me all the time when I'm out and about. Plus, I have alot of photos and did find myself having to pick and choose which photos to load up. 64GB will let me have all my photos with me, all the time.

9. ATC macrumors 6502a

I've pretty much narrowed down my choice to the black wifi-only iPad 2 either in 32GB or 64GB.

I know they're two different things but I have an iPhone 4 16GB and even with my music, tons of apps and a few videos and video podcasts that I subscribe to, I still have 8GB free. And with Apple's rumoured push for cloud-based services and streaming (MobileMe and iTunes etc...) in the coming year I'm almost leaning towards 32GB. Still not quite sure which to choose but a $100 bucks is a $100 bucks.

10. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I think 32gb is enough space unless you have a huge video library that youll be keeping on the ipad all the time!

11. melman101 macrumors 68030

Don't forget, you will potentially be creating content on this. iMovie, Garageband, plus your library. I think it's a no-brainer to go for 64GB.

12. dtrivi thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in agreement about the syncing thing...the whole thing with the iPad is to replace my need for my computer on most occasions so having to come home to sync everything to maintain memory is not good for me...so does that mean 64 gb will be what i need...i am going into the service industry and plan on using it to book appointments and use it as a portfolio....i am also using it for college...papers and notes and such

13. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

It depends if your going to get a 3G model or not. I don't have a large music library at all. I rarely used the iPod App on my 32GB 3G iPad. I just used Pandora, which worked like a charm. You could pay the $36/year for "Pandora One" instead of the $100 storage upgrade, and remove the ads, and skip all you want. I also use Netflix, ABC, and PBS rather than actually copying movies over to my iPad. It's more convenient for me. I had my iPad since day 1 and just sold it this weekend. I used about 75% of my storage.

So if you're getting the 3G model, just go with 32GB. Everything can be streamed these days. If you're sticking with WiFi, I would go for 64GB, so you can store everything on the device.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I can tell you guys this. You THINK its dumb to take videos with a tablet, but once you start you wont be able to stop. :D And then you will wish you had 128GB...

15. Fireworld macrumors member

Well, I'm taking mine overseas on vacation for 5 months so I'll be getting the 64 gig 3g model.
    Even while I use it here, I don't wanna have to pick and choose what content to load it up with. Yeah when I leave the house and use my iPad, I have plenty videos and music to choose from, but the worst thing is when you decide you want to watch "that movie" and you didn't load it up. Just get the 64 gig model, fill it up and not worry about "I shoulda bought..."

You never know what you'll be in the mood for when you hit the road. :cool:

16. Maaz macrumors 6502a

its just a $100 difference. i dont care im getting the 64

17. Brian3 macrumors newbie

iPad2 32GB or 64GB?

I changed my order from a 32GB iPad2 to a 64GB iPad2 after noticing the size of some of the programs for the iPad2. I've seen games that are 700Mb in size. Most programs that have High Definition graphics will be large in size and in time more programs for the iPad2 are likely to be in High resolution. You can have over 2000 programs stored on the iPad2. Also recording video on the iPad2 will use up memory space.
    I could off-load programs on the computer using iTunes when I don't need them to make space for other iPad2 programs but it's extra work and when I suddenly need a program then it might not be on the iPad2
    I have a 32GB iPod Touch but as it has a smaller lower resolution screen so the programs for the iPod touch are not large.

This this is worth considering when ordering an iPad2.

18. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

If you have the budget for 64Gb, I'd go for it. It's a lot more convenient to load it up with more stuff (movies, etc) less often, especially if you travel.

19. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

My iPad was 64gb. My iPad 2 is 16gb and it's working out great for me. I wound up spending 200 bucks less than I expected and realized I did not need all that space after all.

20. genexrocket macrumors regular

Go with 32GB, everything will potentially be stored in iCloud anyways, so you could even save yourself more money by going with the 16GB like me. I have way more than 16GB in music alone and I do fine with my 16GB.

21. tombubi macrumors regular

If budget is not your concern, definitely go for 64GB.

22. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I'm still rocking my original 64GB model and glad I decided on the largest model for a number of reasons. Many apps, games (especially), and photos take up a lot more space than I expected.

Having the extra room for movies and other content has also been a road trip blessing with a headphone splitter. I can drive in peace!

Now with the many rumors of a "retina" display for the iPad 3, I hope a 128GB model makes the show as my photos will look wonderful on such a display (and eat up twice the storage that they do on my current iPad).

I can't wait.

Long story short, I would go for the 64Gig. Higher resale and less time swapping files in and out fighting for space. ;)