iPad 2: 32gb WiFi or 16gb 3G+WiFi...which would YOU rather have?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dmk1974, Nov 18, 2011.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

For roughly the same price, which would YOU rather have?

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

32g
    Then get a 4g hotspot if 4g is available in you area. Nothing better an wifi speed where ever you go.

3. codencis macrumors newbie

I made this mistake. I got the 16GB 3G. Now I hardly ever use 3G and am running out of room.

iPad 3 = 32GB for me :)

4. pingfan59 macrumors member

I was initially looking hard at the 3G models, then came across the sprint2boost thread for unlimited data at $15 a month. So grabbed the 32gb wifi.

If you are running out of room, I would look into that Seagate Go Flex Satellite portable HD. If I start running out of room, I will pick that up.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm in the same dilemma. I'd rather have a 16GB 3G iPad

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, this is going to be my dilemma when the next generation iPad (hopefully with retina display) arrives.

Currently, I own a 32 GB + 3G first generation iPad. When the iPad 3 arrives, I don't want to spend another $699 again, but at most $599.

I just need that 32 GB because I'm afraid I will not have enough space when I go for the 16 GB, but if you keep things organized (delete things you don't use anymore), than 16 GB is sufficient.

I have found that 3G connectivity is extremely useful, especially when going on holiday. I just put in a SIM card and I can immediately browse the web on the nice 9.7" display. If I own a wifi-only version, that's not possible. I can't create a wifi signal from a 3G signal for my iPad so that's a problem. I also found that the extra GPS chip is extremely useful: last year around Christmas we were in Germany and the roads are terrible over there (when it's snowing and freezing). Certain areas were flooded as well and it was just very unclear where to go. The iPad helped out because I opened up Google Maps and everybody could clearly look at the map because of the bright IPS display. GPS obviously helped a lot.

So, that's why I am in a dilemma. At this point, I wouldn't know what I would do. A 16 GB + 3G (4G?) + GPS iPad 3, or a 32 GB WiFi only iPad 3.

I hope Apple decides to bump up the storage:
    $399 - iPad 2 16 GB (budget model)
    $499 - iPad 3 32 GB
    $599 - iPad 3 64 GB, iPad 3 32 GB + GPS + 3G (4G?)
    $699 - iPad 3 128 GB, iPad 3 64 GB + GPS + 3G (4G?)
    $799 - iPad 3 128 GB + GPS + 3G (4G?)

In that case, I would definitely go for a 32 GB + 3G model. If they keep the same pricing as they have right now, it will be either the 32 GB wifi only model or the 16 GB + 3G model.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

i had an ipad1 16gb wifi, now i have an ipad2 32gb wifi, and iplan to get an ipad3 16gb wifi.

the wifi vs. 3g thing is entirely up to the individual. whatever you do, i think you'll want to have access to the internet, so as long as you got that, you'll be fine. when i don't have a connection (in the car, for example), i can always use my phone.

the memory thing is tougher. i manage my memory pretty well and know how i want to use it (i don't store tv shows and movies in it, for example), so i don't really need 32. with the cloud services, the memory is even less interesting to me. it just isn't worth the extra 100 dollars.

8. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Pretty close poll! I think I am going to go with keeping the 32gb WiFi though. I am tempted to add the tethering plan to my 4S, but I don't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited plan (even though I have never gone near 4gb of usage...yet).

----------

This is an interesting option...is it still working well for people though?

9. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I have a 16 gb wifi, and I notice the lack of 3G FAR more than the lack of space. I have yet to fill it up, and anyhow I JB so I can use external storage.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

i'd use a hotspot or tethering myself, because that way it works for everything (ipod, ipad, computer, etc.). i did that last year and loved it.

11. Captjlucpicard macrumors newbie

Ipad 2 32GB wifi + Sprint hotspot here. Works like a dream :)

12. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

32GB iPad.
    There are literally wifi hotspots everywhere now.

13. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

A tablet's worthless without 3G... Get the 3G one. A mobile hotspot will be burdensome

14. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

The places I frequent don't always have wifi, so any discussion regarding an idevice must start with "3g";)

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

lol. i guess a lot of us have worthless devices then. frog in a well...

a tablet is quite hobbled without internet access. if you don't have constant wifi access at home, work, and/or school, you should think about 3g or a mobile hotspot. i'd go with the hotspot, for various reasons. in many cases it is actually considerably faster than 3g.i wouldn'tdepend on free hotspots. they are dwindling these days.

16. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Well I disagree with that statement as my experience with a Verizon hotspot has been far from a burden.

17. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Neither. My 16GB WiFi iPad 2 is an ideal secondary use device for me. I upgrade at every new iPad release, therefore it's a complete waste of money to buy more than I need.

I'm not one to invest my time in reselling my devices, I'd rather give them to family members each time I upgrade. Therefore resale value has no meaning to me.

Finally since I have a robust home network which stores my vast iTunes collection, I don't store anything on my iPad other that what I'm currently using.

18. kbt1020 macrumors regular

Well... cross your fingers and hopefully there'll be an SD card slot for the iPad 3 :rolleyes:

19. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

the cloud + 3g > 32gb

however, you have to pay for the 3g service

20. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Well, my sway of the day is now in favor of the 3G 16gb. I bought one today on Craigslist for $530 cash (brand new and sealed). I just registered it and full 1-yr warranty...just seemed too good to pass up, right? I'm only using 9-10 GB so far anyway. I don't plan on activating the 3G service, but at least it's there if I need to.

21. txjeep macrumors member

No way I would own an iPad without 3G.

Edit: just saw you bought one. Good choice!

22. donnaw macrumors 65816

Neither. I have a 32 gig + 3G and I now know two things:
    1). I really use the 3G so it's a must for me
    2). I wish I had bought the 64 gig storage model. I thought 32 would be enough but have found that when I travel I really need more storage for movies. So guess I either get a GoFlex or just upgrade to a 64 on my next purchase. My usual rule of thumb is to buy the biggest storage available but i broke the rule this time and have been regretting it since. Although an SD card slot would be the best solution I have no hopes of that ever happening. While I like my iPad the lack of expandable storage is the biggest drawback for me.

23. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Well, I took back the 32GB WiFi iPad 2. The 3G iPad 2 16gb is here to stay (for now)!