iPad 2 available locally, but I'm waiting weeks just to save $84.97 in sales tax

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kiersten, May 27, 2011.

1. Kiersten macrumors newbie

My local BestBuy always have a few 3G AT&T ipads in stock. (but only the 64GB black ones) In fact, my next-next-door neighbor's grandson is the MOD over there. He told me that it's the same two iPads that they've had for over a month. Apparently nobody in my area wants the black 64GB 3G AT&T iPad 2. Most of their customers want the 32GB(cheaper) 3G AT&T version.

I, on the other hand, do want that 64GB 3G AT&T iPad2 in black. However, I never bought it from BestBuy. In fact, I've placed an order with B&H Photo of NYC a few weeks ago, but it is still on backorder. (same $829 price tag as local BestBuy)

You may be wondering why? Well.... I'm a cheapskate and want to save the $84.97 in sales tax. (which B&H doesn't collect) :D :D :D I don't need the iPad 2 right away and I feel the wait is worth $84.97..... :) I already have two iPads(old generation) at home.

Am I the only one order from out-of-state just to save on sales tax?

(correction... it's $84.97.... it's $84.97 in taxs at my home address, but $72.50 at BestBuy, because it's in another county)

2. nwbusa macrumors regular

Nope.

3. LDTaylor85 macrumors member

I waited for B&H...it's worth it, you can spend the 80 bucks on accessories!

4. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

as long as you can admit it

5. Kiersten thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a cheapskate and proud of it! :) Besides, I think the 10+ percent
    state/county sales tax is just plain ridiculous. :mad:

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yikes. Where is that?

I bought mine from Target, used Target RedCard and saved 5%... which offset nearly all of the 6% sales tax here.

Just sayin...

7. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

I always laugh when our American neighbours to the south complain about their sales tax....usually the same people that want paved roads, and health care as well, and lower crime rate

Everywhere, except Alberta, in Canada, tax is about 12-15%, and has been for a long time now. Cost of living here is much higher as well, and everyone has no complaints...at least for what we get in return....that is, compared to our neighbours down south :)

8. gmans46 macrumors regular

im a republican our crime rate is fine i dont want universal healthcare and if my taxes were 12-15% i would hate my country so cool beans bro

USA

9. Kiersten thread starter macrumors newbie

Without the USA, the world wouldn't have iPods, iPhones, iPads, MacBooks..... :D :D :D

Oh wait a minutes, let me put my foot in my mouth... the Communist leaders of the People's Republic can say the exact same thing! :D (just substitue the "USA" with "China" in my sentence above)

10. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

saving almost $85 bucks doesn't make you a cheapskate. that's enough to buy a case/cover, or some extra accessories, or about a one work-week of free lunches. that's not what a cheapskate is.

now if the difference was something really small like $5, and if you kept on b******* & complaining how you really wanted an ipad2 and hated to keep waiting and waiting, but that you don't want to pay that extra $5, that's much closer to the definition of a cheapskate. :D

11. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Hey, you're not a cheapskate IMHO. Every penny counts. :) I would humbly think that most people in their "right frame of mind" would seek to save as much money as they can while buying stuff. I mean paying $84.97 less is still going to get you the same exact item, no? :confused:

12. svenn macrumors 6502

Imagine how much you'll save if you wait a whole year!!

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I bought mine locally since I got it at launch and I wanted it THAT day. I paid extra for that and I got to play with an iPad (which is used daily at my house) for many months while others waited.

But if I were to buy an iPad today, I definitely would look online for a tax-free way to do it. $80 is a lot of apps you can buy, and iPad apps ain't always cheap.

How would I spend $85? I'd get some iTunes credit (stays on your account, that way you don't have to fret about buying apps or music when you really want to since its already paid for).

With apps, I'd start with the basics:

- GarageBand ($5)
    - iMovie ($5)
    - Pages, Numbers, and Keynote ($30)

That's already $40.... then a few more must haves IMO:

- Lifelike Craig ($3)
    - Angry Birds (Original, Rio, and Seasons) ($10)

That brings it up to $53...

And you still got $32 left over for other apps and music.

I'd recommend buying two Dredg albums, "The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion" and "Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy" :)

Enjoy the savings. All the haters need to realize that not all of us are so rich we can just throw money away and $85 is not a small amount of money when spent on the App store or iTunes.

If you think about it, just the apps it could buy could transform the OP from just iPad owner to VERY HAPPY iPad owner! He's waited this long (3 months since original release) so another couple of weeks won't be a big deal and the compensation in terms of extra apps he can buy with the savings is going to be worth it.

For current owners, 2 weeks without your iPad might be torture. I know it would be for me since I don't have a laptop anymore and use the iPad as my primary surfing device. But since the OP doesn't have it yet, well, you can't miss what you don't have!

14. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

Im still patiently waiting for my iPad 2 to ship from out of state just to save on tax too! :-D

15. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree with this thread and OP and would usually do the same, only reason I'm not though is because the whole "BACKLIGHT BLEED" crap and theres no way im sending mine in the mail back to b&h if it's effected by it.....