Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky today issued a new report sharing his expectation that Apple will handily beat market expectations for its quarterly earnings report set for next week. Citing strong sales of the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, as well as very strong iPad sales, Abramsky expects Apple to post revenue of $24 billion and earnings per share of $5.75 for the quarter.

165905-rbc_mar11_ipad_demand.jpg

The research note also included the results of a proprietary survey of over 2000 respondents in the United States conducted March 14-23, interestingly revealing 40% higher demand for the iPad 2 than in a similar survey conducted for the first-generation models in May 2010. According to the survey, 28% of respondents are either "very likely" or "somewhat likely" to purchase an iPad 2, up from 20% for the first-generation iPad last May.

The survey also demonstrates a shift in the "sweet spot" for customer demand when it comes to Wi-Fi-only models. A February 2010 survey ahead of the launch of the original iPad saw the low-end 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad registering as most popular among those planning to purchase an iPad, with the 32 GB model in second place and the 64 GB model in third place. The new survey for the iPad 2 shows that customers are finding the greatest affinity for the mid-range 32 GB model among the Wi-Fi options, followed by the 16 GB model and finally the 64 GB model. 3G-capable models follow the same trend seen in last year's survey, with those customers looking most frequently to the top-end 64 GB model.

165904-rbc_mar11_ipad_carriers.jpg

Carrier preferences for 3G iPad 2 customers

With Apple now offering both GSM (AT&T) and CDMA (Verizon) 3G models of the iPad 2, it is also interesting to look at the balance in customer demand between the carriers. According to the new RBC survey, 46% of 3G iPad 2 customers plan to use a Verizon iPad while only 30% of customers plan to utilize AT&T's service.

Article Link: iPad 2 Demand Outstrips Original iPad by 40%, Verizon Preferred Over AT&T for 3G

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The research note also included the results of a proprietary survey of over 2000 respondents in the United States conducted March 14-23, interestingly revealing 40% higher demand for the iPad 2 than in a similar survey conducted for the first-generation models in May 2010. According to the survey, 28% of respondents are either "very likely" or "somewhat likely" to purchase an iPad 2, up from 20% for the first-generation iPad last May.

No need for iPad 3 this year..........

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Here is the thing about Verizon iPad 2's versus AT&T iPad 2's. The AT&T version is not restricted to AT&T and can be bought by a visitor for use in another country on a local carrier whereas the Verizon will only work on Verizon.

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Right now in NYC you can walk in the Apple store anytime and get the Verizon iPad. ATT models are extremely hard to find.

So how is it that Verizon is preferred???... (I know why but I'll let you guess...:))

Eye4Desyn

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
U, S, and A
I still prefer the nation's fastest network (AT&T) over the most reliable (VZW) any day. Not to mention my GSM 32GB iPad 1 can be used internationally as well. Besides, in my neck of the woods, AT&T service has been very reliable for data consumption. No complaints here.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
I wonder why everywhere I go ATT is sold out...

I was lucky enough to buy 16GB ATT this morning. :D

lgutie20

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
Colombia
The 3G graph just shows how ignorant people are when choosing between ATT and Verizon.

ATT has the fastest 3G network
ATT has GSM, the standard chipset around the globe

Dropped calls and data plan are not the same thing

All this equals that people are ignorant

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Will all the resellers buying all the AT&T versions I call BS on those stats.

Go to a store and I guarantee you can't buy an at&t model, but vzw are in stock everywhere.

There is NO way Vzw is outselling AT&T version, NO way, it's impossible.

My guess is maybe people in the mid-west would PREFER vzw, but they'll never buy one anyway...

ivan2002

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Right now in NYC you can walk in the Apple store anytime and get the Verizon iPad. ATT models are extremely hard to find.

So how is it that Verizon is preferred???... (I know why but I'll let you guess...:))

The survey is flawed if it's estimating US sales by polling only US buyers.

cyper2002

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
I'll take Verizon's slower speeds and larger 3g coverage area any day. AT&T has such a small 3G footprint and Edge speeds are unbearable and unusable in many rural areas. The superior 3G technology is meaningless if you can't get coverage. CDMA coverage is far more prevalent and reliable in the US and that's important to many people, especially those who travel.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
I'm holding off on the ipad. I really like it and I'm not waiting for some future specs. I just am not sure I have enough need for it to spend that kind of cash. I have a three year old laptop and I think I'd rather save a little more money and get a new laptop than add an ipad to my collection. And I think the needs of an ipad are not that great for me right now.

I think if I were to buy one it would be as a gift for my parents. You know these are ideal for people in the family who do not really need a full computer but you'd like to have the ability to interact with on-line. You can set it up with your own computer and occasionally update it for them. It looks to be a lot less of a headache to manage for someone who is not tech savvy than a full computer.

thebubbatex

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
Will all the resellers buying all the AT&T versions I call BS on those stats.

Go to a store and I guarantee you can't buy an at&t model, but vzw are in stock everywhere.

There is NO way Vzw is outselling AT&T version, NO way, it's impossible.

My guess is maybe people in the mid-west would PREFER vzw, but they'll never buy one anyway...

Does not say anything about what is SELLING right now - this is a survey about intentions to buy.

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well people prefer to buy AT&T right now, hence out of stock and goin for much more on ebay, soo the stats are wrong...
They obviously polled people in non-AT&T markets, who live in the mid-west, who wouldn't buy one anyway.

krnboy503

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I think the survey people were drunk and were confused lol

Clearly, AT&T 3G models are selling like hot cakes while Verizon models are in stock wherever i go lol

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Not a good survey. The stats seem wrong based on what I'm seeing everywhere else. 2000 people is not a large enough sample set. And although the 40% higher demand makes sense given the full year that took place between introduction of "tablets" as a concept versus as an established product, it means very little. These Apple speculator people need real jobs.

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
Not a good survey. The stats seem wrong based on what I'm seeing everywhere else. 2000 people is not a large enough sample set. And although the 40% higher demand makes sense given the full year that took place between introduction of "tablets" as a concept versus as an established product, it means very little.
Why do you say 2000 people is not a large enough sample? Do you know statistical sampling methods?

I'm not saying this survey isn't flawed... just sample size doesn't have to be that large.

ivan2002

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
The 3G graph just shows how ignorant people are when choosing between ATT and Verizon.

ATT has the fastest 3G network
ATT has GSM, the standard chipset around the globe

Dropped calls and data plan are not the same thing

All this equals that people are ignorant

You seem to be... ahem... unaware of the fact that Verizon has a much wider 3G coverage than AT&T, and that real world network speeds depend on the use of the network at a given location (especially in densely populated areas) which hurts AT&T network more (as it is the more popular carrier for all the smartphones everyone has).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.