iPad 2 the future of notebooks : i sold my macbook air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TreRep, May 4, 2011.

1. TreRep macrumors regular

TreRep

After using for a while my iPad 2, I sold my late 2010 macbook air 13.

I was not using it anymore

With an iPad in the house i'll defer to my Windows 7 Dell if I need to do any real heavy lifting.

I use iTunes only for upgrading the firmware, i have mobileMe ant the cloud for storing all my data.

i think iPad 2 is the future of notebooks. :apple:

2. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

I'm kinda on my way to where you are mate, my MacBook pro only gets used for uni work and I have it set up plugged into a monitor all the time so I never use it as a "notebook"

Thinking about selling it, getting a cheap iMac and maybe buying another iPad cause I totally hog this one which is my partners haha

The computing world is changing ... and I like it :D

3. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Not until the iPad is autonomous, and they don't need to be plugged in to any PC or Mac for that matter.

4. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

since getting the iPad 2, my macbook has been relegated to "girlfriend" duties.

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I sold my laptop over the weekend. After I got my iPhone 4 I used it about once a week. I figure with the iPad 2 in the house, I will never need it again. I have a tower if I really need a full blown computer.

6. Gomff macrumors 6502a

For just consumption, the iPad is 90% or so there, and makes laptops redundant in most scenarios.

Try building a website, or writing an app on an iPad though. Both of these tasks can be achieved on a desktop, but sometimes a laptop is the best way, especially if you're a freelancer and you need to work on the road.

7. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I agree, for some people an iPad is all they need.

But for others it's an extra. So it can serve in that way too.

Currently its a novelty to some and that also has its purpose.

For computing, it's not going to replace anything overnight.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Thats just the point. The average person doesnt do real work on a laptop. They youtube, play games, surf the web, download music, and occasionally send e-mails.

Unless you have a job that rewquires you take take work home or are in school, you are pretty much are a consumer, not a creator.

9. Skika macrumors 68030

If generalizing atleast say iPad, if not tablet computer, because iPad 2 is the present and not the future of anything.

10. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Brilliantly said.

For my grandma, it's all she'll most likely ever need considering she doesn't even use a computer now. For iPad1, I saw mine as an extra and something to carry instead of the MBP. I agree its not for computing, which immediately prevents me from selling my MBP, though obviously one day i'd like exclusively use an iPad. (A 1TB iPad 3 would be ideal :eek:)

I've been in China for these past 2 months and have realized I could've easily gotten by with my iPad instead of bringing my MBP for the ride instead.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I use my iPad for 90+% of my mobile computing. It even allows me to run a significant percentage of my Keynote presentations on the projector at work. The main thing I still require my 13" aluminum MacBook for is for the more sophisticated Keynote/PowerPoint presentations that I do (multiple animations, looping video) and situations where I need full-speed Windows functionality (when Citrix or other remote desktop apps are too slow) to run a specific app for work.

So I can't quite get rid of my laptop yet... though I'd love to replace my 13" aluminum MacBook with an 11" MacBook Air, since that'll do everything I otherwise need a full-on laptop for (at less than half the size). Trouble is I don't use the laptop enough to justify the cost of replacing it.

For the heavy-duty stuff (and acting as the home iTunes & AppleTV server), my 2010 Core i7 iMac is ample.

I can't see ever needing a Mac Pro again (the '10 i7 iMac replaced an '06 Mac Pro).

12. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

13. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I'm about to still my macbook too. I like my thinkpad better and can use that the 3% of the time when the iPad can't do something.

14. peled macrumors member

peled

And how can you download books and magazines to be shown on the iPad ?

15. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I don't care.

My Kindle is far Superior

16. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Huh, that's funny. Exact opposite of how I feel about my Kindle. Feels terribly outdated with its long screen refresh and lack of a touch screen interface. I also love how you I can't read with it in a dim room unless I get a bulky and awkward add-on light that doesn't even evenly light the screen.

17. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Yes it is funny, I didn't expect my iPad to be such a poor reading device.

But then again my new Kindle is much improved over the original. For me it ends up that I need both.

Nothing beats the iPad for great web browsing.

18. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

maybe when the macbook air 11inch, gets a better battery... For right now, i'll stick with the ipad..

19. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

The fact is no matter what anyone says, most people outside of most tech fields do not need a computer.

20. madat42 macrumors regular

21. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I sold my new iPad. When I. Bought the 11.6MBA then missedit so much returned the MBA and bought a replacement, then sold that and bought the iPad 2. Lol

22. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I don't agree that the iPad 2 is enough for the average user. I have the 11" Air and the iPad 2, but would give up my iPad 2 if I had to choose. The Air is basically the size of an iPad but more versatile because of OSX and the built in keyboard. I can dual boot to Windows or use Parallels to access both OS's at the same time and I can play more complex games. I think each device has a unique place in an average person's usage.

23. TreRep thread starter macrumors regular

TreRep

24. newdeal macrumors 68020

When i got my first ipad i sold my macbook pro because it was just sitting in our kitchen where my wife would use it so I replaced it with a 21.5" iMac instead. That was a far better decision. Then i had remorse of not having a full laptop, anf sold the ipad and went through a series of computers. Had a 2010 air which i returned and bought a used macbook pro which i later sold in order to buy the ipad 2. While the ipad 1 wasnt really a great laptop replacement due to the speed being a bit laggy the ioad 2 does wonderfully as it has much less lag on the keyboard etc. Also now that i have splashtop i can watch flash videos over the network from my imac so really it is the perfect computer for me

25. newdeal macrumors 68020

Only thing is that the battery life in the air sucks compared to the ipad. You are probobly lucky to get 4 hours with everyday useage (games, web etc) where the ipad gets 10 no matter what