iPad 2 + wireless router - will ipad benefit from dual band airport extreme?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by glitch44, Mar 10, 2011.

1. glitch44, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

glitch44 macrumors 65816

My dad wants an iPad and a wireless router. He has a small place so probably doesn't need the range of wireless N. Will the iPad actually see any "real world" bandwidth benefits with the airport extreme or should I just go with something cheaper like the (wireless G only) WRT54GL with Tomato on it?

2. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I'm almost positive that any normal router will give him the same speed as the apple extreme. I personally have one and even though it works great, I feel like it is overpriced.

3. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I can't think of any "real world" reason. I have both the iPad 3G and an Airport Extreme.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Do your dad a favor and get the AEBS. The extra cost is worth it for the USB port and the management software that is MUCH EASIER TO USE THAN THE CRAPPY BROWSER-BASED TRASH ON THE OTHERS.

You really won't see any speed benefit because the speed difference between G and N is way above the average broadband connection in the US. The only time you would see it is if you're downloading stuff from somewhere else on the same LAN. If Apple were to put wireless sync over WiFi in the iOS 5 upgrade, then it will be a HUGE deal. I think 802.11n tops out at about 300Mbps, which is six times faster than 802.11g. It's a very big deal.

5. VivaV macrumors member

I don't know the answer to your question - but I am just posting in case you are unaware that the apple store has some good prices on refurb airport devices

I would have thought that on price the airport express @$69 would beat the - WRT54GL because you can connect a printer and stream music to a stereo - but I don't know about the technical stuff.

Anyway that is what I got for my Dad...

(Also - I have had a few routers over the years - and definitely the apple ones have been easier to set up - esp. with a mac. I imagine that it will be the same with an ipad...I