IPad 3 16gb WI-FI 4G and Mac mini i5 or MacBook Air 11"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by YouriAB, Mar 10, 2012.

1. YouriAB macrumors newbie

Guys which would you prefer a new iPad 3 16gb WI-FI 4G and a Mac mini (2.3 i5, 2gb ram, 500gb hard drive) or a MacBook Air 11" (1.6 i5, 4gb ram, 128 ssd) if i buy the iPad and mac mini Im also buying a smart cover and a bluetooth keyboard, I already have a Samsung 22" LED HDTV as a monitor and a magic mouse, Im going to college next fall so help me choose, thank you,

2. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

mba 11"

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

mini plus ipad. several reasons. among them, i'd rather have two devices over one. having a mac mini would give me extra storage (i find the 128gb ssd in the air to be a bit too small), a computer to sync the ipad to. sure, you lose the ability to take a laptop to classes, but quick notes can be typed up on the ipad just fine. a regular pen and notebook combo would work well, too.

4. Patos46 macrumors newbie

A Nba is good , I had one and I sold it because of the iPad1, now I have a Mb pro, waiting for the IPad3, I think that the best choice is mini Mac and IPad, because apple is going to make it better days after days, you will not use of your computer often.

5. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Last year I replaced my 2007 Macbook Pro with an iPad 2 + Mac mini (i5, 8 GB ram, 500 GB HD). I say Mini + iPad. It's such a lovely combo. Good luck and enjoy!

6. shoelessone macrumors 6502

iPad and mini, unless you need to type a lot on the go. Unless you are using the computer very casually I don't really see the 11" a great form factor with the smaller keyboard.

7. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I sold my MacBook and and ordered the new iPad. I'm also going to be purchasing a Mac mini as well. It's the best of both worlds IMO.

8. jc3 macrumors newbie

iPad and Mac Mini! If you want a laptop I find the MBP line of laptops to be the best laptops available. After having various Dells, HPs, Gateways, Acers, and other laptops the MBP is just thrashing the competition The 13" MBP is small and light enough to carry around, but can be configured with the power of a real computer.

P.S. I really hope the MBP line gets upgraded to retina displays next refresh. I find it hard to believe that my 13" MPB with real computer specs is out done by my iPad 3rd Gen. I am defiantly due for an upgrade to. Got a April 2010 13" MBP that I want to get i5 an retina.

9. Aksta macrumors regular

what smaller keyboard?

anyways i would go for an mba if you need to do a lot of typing and also a cable to attach it to you samsung screen when at home. it will also save from moving files about.

if you aren't typing too much then iPad and a mini is a good choice and the added fun of an iPad.

10. lief macrumors newbie

I have a ipod touch 4G and it is great with all my apps, handy on-the-go device that takes great video and does everything an iPad can do already

When I web surf and type I use a netbook. Great for bed/class.

I only rarely use my mac mini to edit my HD video and pictures.

But since you have a screen already...you can hook up the mac book air whenever you want a bigger display at home. Don't worry about space(external hard drive).

It all come down to your budget as well.

11. rosemary1 macrumors regular

For college you will definitely want to go with the MBA and iPad.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Have had a MBA and iPad for a while now, but if I could only have one it would be my MBA. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad, but I need my MBA.

13. mikepro macrumors 6502

Secret option #3:

- Refurbished MBA
    - Refurbished iPad 2.

You can get these for about the same price as a new MBA. (Although you probably get an education discount...). You definitely need the MBA for school. Mobility is good. Consider adding a refurb iPad 2 into your mix for ~$350.