iPad iPad 3 model MD943LL/A??? about to buy but can't find any info

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CWSounds, Jul 10, 2013.

1. CWSounds macrumors newbie

I am about to buy an Ipad 3 retina 32 GB... the model number on the box is MD943LL/A. Googling that model number doesn't show me very many results? Is there something wrong with this model? It just doesn't seem very common.

Thanks

2. Bear macrumors G3

Most people don't bother posting the Model number. Nothing wrong with it. Do check Apples refurbished prices against whatever price you're being asked.

3. CWSounds thread starter macrumors newbie

But this particular model number seems very rare. Why would that be?

4. Bear macrumors G3

Rare compared to what? Maybe most people just bought 16GB or 64GB. There's nothing wrong with the model.

5. SkippyThorson, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

This discussion took a turn to nowhere fast.

The model number is likely rare online because just as soon as the iPad 3 came out, it was replaced by the iPad 4. The 3rd generation iPad was the one of the shortest Apple product lifespans at only 7 months.

The iPad 4 is basically an iPad 3 with a new chip, new front camera, and new Lightning connector. There are few results for the iPad 3 online because the iPad 2 has been around since launch, and the iPad 4 took over the iPad 3's spot in the lineup. Not many were around because of the sheer limited availability.

That doesn't make it any less of a device, though. I just bought one for a relative, and I'm now on the hunt for one myself. It's price and features are ideal to someone who doesn't need the latest and greatest. For example, I have no Lightning cables or accessories, and no need to spend a premium to lose my beloved 30-Pin.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

maybe this model number is fake? Would you buy it? :apple:

7. CWSounds thread starter macrumors newbie

But the guy that's selling it to me says it comes with the lightning pin to connect to the computer and everthing... So maybe it's a 4 in a different box? Did the three have the lightning port instead of the 30 pin?

And thank you for your replies! I am going to get him to take a screenshot of the model number with the software in the ipad. And I will be meeting him for this transaction anyway so its not like I won't be able to take a look at it before the purchase.

8. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

The 3rd gen had the 30 pin dock connector.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The 4GB iPhone as that honor at three months till discontinued.

----------

If its full sized and has the lightning connector, then it's the 4th gen.

10. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Really, I never realized that. Now that's a lifecycle!

11. Bear macrumors G3

A couple of things to remember about buying an iPad from a random person. The warranty started when it was bought from Apple or an Authorized reseller.

Have you compared the price the person wants to what Apple is charging for refurbished iPads which include a full warranty?

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yet you never heard those owners whining bout how it was the red headed stepchild like some iPad 3 owners do.