Ipad 4 hopefully better? What new Ipad should have been this year..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Mar 29, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I think we all know a retina display is great but there's so many downsides so far I'm reading like

Heavier and thicker and longer charge time. I'm starting to think I'd have preferred them to hold off retina until next year until that size could come down further.

Ipad 3 with Siri, 8MP camera, voice dictation, HD front facing camera may have been better to be honest.

If the above happened we would have a slimmer Ipad like the second generation one. I suspect it will be mixed debate whether retina is better or other features but most say the Ipad 2 had a good screen anyway.

So maybe going Retina came one year early?

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

You're right. They should have rested on their laurels and not innovated at all until they knew you would be satisfied. ;):rolleyes:

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well the rumours on why the Ipad 2 never had retina were:

*Would have probably been alot bigger than Ipad 1

*Would have cost too much

They have innovated at the cost of battery charge time and size same way the Iphone 4 was better as the battery lasted longer and the 4S drains quick.

I think they have into reviewers demanding retina now it's here they are criticizing the screen and colour and size difference.

4. bob.loblaw macrumors member

The 3rd gen would have been disappointing without a retina display.

5. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

Just don't understand people acting like the "battery charge time" is a big deal. I'm a relatively heavy user of my iPad, and I charge about every other day... and just leave it on charge when I go to bed. Why is that such a problem?

You do sleep, right? :D

Oh and for the record, the battery in my 4S lasts longer than in my 4

6. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not if they added Siri + HD front facing cameras.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No, if you bought one, IN YOUR OPINION, you bought 1 year early.

As for attacking the individual points of fail in the post, I'm sure someone else has more patience.

8. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hopeless if you want to charge it during the day though.

----------

Well you can bet Ipad 4 may even be slimmer than the Ipad 2.

9. jumpmandds macrumors regular

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I don't know what you all are complaining about and flooding these forums with threads whining like children. I've used my 3rd gen iPad during a heavy travel week days after I bought it and I consistently got 10-12 hours of battery life using 3G and GPS on top of no heat or screen issues. I charge it overnight. Is that not long enough for you people?

11. brentsg macrumors 68030

A couple of features many people won't care about.

Everyone can appreciate a nice screen.

12. theaudiobully macrumors newbie

Some people really do love a good moan about nothing. If the new iPad doesn't live up to your expectations, or meet your specific needs, there is one simple solution - Don't buy it!!!

Instead of wasting your time moaning on here about a few extra (and not really even that noticeable) pounds, or an extra bit of charging time, you could be out there researching a device that meets your exact needs to the tee.

13. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

Retina Display and LTE were the two single most important upgrades Apple could have made to the iPad. Significantly sharper screen and significantly faster download times over cell service. As an iPad 1 owner that passed on iPad 2 because it was essentially a cosmetic upgrade with a little more computing power, this version of the iPad was everything I was waiting for.

14. Blorzoga, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You obviously didn't get a new iPad and are just parroting all the overblown complaints that you read about. Thicker and heavier? Hardly. HD front facing camera? Why, so Facetime will be jittery and lagging? 8mp camera? Why, so you can take great pictures with your iPad while you're out and about? And Siri? Seriously? You really need Siri? Give me a break.

15. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

I own an iPhone 4S, I find iPad's voice didaction significantly more useful and accurate than Siri. I have probably used Siri under 10 times. It's not that useful

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I think Apple did just fine. Best new release they have had with lot of inventory to cover the demand.

I have no complaints except my usual want for a file system which Apple is not going to give us.

17. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I read a pretty good review on "Wired" which stated that the 3rd gen might be the one that matters most as Apple may not have a lot in the bag as far as improving what is already a brilliant device. The retina screen was a huge improvement to what is truly a viewing device. Most of the other upgrades were just housekeeping.

Sure it can get thinner, get a faster processor but for many users it's fast enough already. There are not a lot of WOW upgrades left that are going to make everyone happy. To be honest Apple is going to be hard pressed to keep innovating the iPad to a level that makes everyone happy. That's why to get the most bang for the buck, one should really upgrade every couple of years.

18. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Facetime lag? It's already blurry as the cameras are rubbish. Skype is better and you get the app for Ipad! :rolleyes:

No I'm not complaining I went from Ipad 2 to the new one so I can see for myself not read complaints.

Yeah yeah if they added Siri everybody would love it. Just because they never you get Apple fans saying we don't need it.

19. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Well, you still have time to return it. Go for it, if you're so unhappy with the upgrade.

20. spice weasel macrumors 65816

If Apple hadn't gone with the Retina display in this iteration, people would have revolted. Everyone expected it after the iPhone 4. Longer charging time? So what? - it's a bigger battery, one that is needed in order to power the huge jump in GPU power and the significant increase in CPU power. It's barely thicker or heavier than the iPad 2, so I don't know why anyone would complain there.

People have been complaining that this update is just meh, but what were they expecting? A holographic display coupled with a Siri voice assistant that launches a robot to follow your every command? The tablet market may not yet be mature, but the hardware form factor is shaping up that way. From here on out, expect relatively minor updates (although I will say that I don't think the addition of the Retina display only counts as a minor update).

Some people are just hard to please, I guess.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I think the above comment sums up the utter worthlessness of your hypothesis. Instead of substituting other people's anecdotal options as your hard evidence -- people who for all you know have a grind against Apple or unrealistic expectations or just louder than the millions of content, but silent, users -- go test and compare it against other iPads and tablets yourself.

There is also objective sales data out to disprove that the newest iPad is not desirable consumer product. If the new iPad's downsides made it that unusable sales numbers would be closer to Android tablets or worse, not selling millions -- probably 15-20m the quarter. This is a $500 to 900 device, not exactly disposable cash territory for most. People think long and hard before making a purchase of this type.

22. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

You've given me *three* of your downsides. And I don't see them as negatives, or don't notice them, or don't give a rat's a$$ about them. You would have preferred them to hold off Retina for another year? Fair enough; I'm glad I have it *now*. Sure I'd like Siri; we might get it, we might not. I can understand why they mioght not have included it, but oh well.

I got a faster iPad, a better screen, 2 cameras that I did not have before.

I think it should have included a USB 3.0 port, SDHC/XC card reader and a 40 hour battery life. But it didn't happen.

Tom
    \

23. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Why would you need to? Charge it while you sleep and you have 10 hours worth of use each day.

24. slicecom, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

slicecom macrumors 68020

I assume you're new to Apple. This is what Apple has always done, and it seems to be working pretty well for them. They release a more refined product every year, adding new features that keep them ahead of the competition. There's no need to revolutionize a product that is still in its infancy and selling incredibly well, possessing the vast majority of market share. Revolutionize, refine, refine, refine.