iPad 4 on iOS 7 stuck in recovery mode, don't want to update, and can't exit Recovery Mode.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FeliApple, Jun 10, 2018.

1. FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

A family member's iPad 4 activated recovery mode on its own. First, it was stuck on a boot loop and iTunes on my Mac didn't recognise it. Then, it did nothing, it didn't show the Apple logo or anything, even when I reset it with both buttons.
    Now, iTunes says it's in Recovery Mode and tells me to update. I don't want to. Apple told me there's nothing I can do. Do I have to forcibly restore it, or does anyone here knows of something that can be done to exit it and maintain the iOS version?

2. snow755 macrumors 65816

snow755

In this case you may not have a choice in the matter you may need too update it in order too get it back too normal

3. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 65816

FeliApple

Thanks for your reply. Does anyone have any idea so I can get out of this without restoring?

4. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Isn't there an iOS 10 jailbreak available that allows you to downgrade and/or dual boot? Since Apple already dropped support for the iPad 4, you'll always be able to JB.

5. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Try using RecBoot. I have used it in the past with some success.

6. cwerdna macrumors 6502

iOS 10.3.3 on iPad 4 isn't that bad. I have some at work.

I wouldn't want to run on iOS 7. That's way old and I'm sure there are many vulnerabilities in iOS 7 that were patched on later iOS versions. Some apps won't even work on iOS 7 any more. For some that do, you'll receive an old "parked" version.

7. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 65816

FeliApple

8. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 65816

FeliApple

After another restore, and another error 4005, I contacted Apple thinking they'd tell me the iPad was done hardware-wise. They told me to update the Mac (no way) and told me to update iTunes. Can a slightly old iTunes version be the result of a restore failing? I have no experience restoring because I never do (to, ironically, maintain old iOS versions) but I have no idea if that's true and/or a possibility. Thoughts?

9. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

I remember my iPhone 5 was stuck in the Error 4005 loop and it actually needed a new battery. Does your iPad hold a charge well? If not, you might need a new battery and then you can use RecBoot to exit Recovery Mode

10. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 65816

FeliApple

The iPad is not mine, so I don't really know. What's rare is that the iTunes logo and the lightning cable don't show up. The screen is completely black.

11. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

So that means it might be in DFU mode also. Either way, you would need software to kick it out of DFU without restoring or updating. I can tell you I have my iPad 4 on 10.3.3 and it definitely runs, but I honestly can't remember how better it performs on iOS 7 vs 10. I rarely use it as I have a 2015 iPad Pro

12. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 65816

FeliApple

Gave up on not updating. I tried to restore it twice and it failed. Maybe as you say, it's a hardware issue...