iPad iPad 4th gen 64GB for 250€ - worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vladobizik, Feb 5, 2015.

1. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I used to be a long-time iPad user but this fall I sold my venerable iPad mini in favor of an iPhone 6 Plus. Over time I have started to realize that I could still actually use an iPad and I miss it a lot. So I have started looking into getting a full-size model as a mini would be too similar the my iPhone in size.
    I found an offer in my area with a guy selling a seller-refurbished iPad 4 with 64GB (WiFi model) for 250€ (less than $300).

It would be my secondary or actually tertiary device, I would browse the web, read and occasionally game. Certainly no "serious" work.

Do you think it's a good deal? Do you think it makes any sense to buy such old technology in 2015?

I am a well informed tech geek, I realize the tradeoffs and limitations, I just want to know another persons' opinions as to whether or not it is rational to buy such a machine in this day and age and whether or not you think the asking price is a good deal.
    Thanks!

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The ipad 4 is still a great tablet and I just bought my oldest daughter one. $250 for that storage is a decent deal but make sure you know exactly what seller refurbished means. Is it covered by Apple and does it have a one year warranty? If so, I woild go for it. If not, might be worth shopping around more.

The 4th gen iPad is a good product though and will last a while. No worries there.

3. vladobizik thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, it probably has no kind of warranty. The seller sent me a photo of the purchase receipt saying it was bought in November 2012, which makes it just past the standard EU 2-year warranty.
    I did not expect a tablet this old to come with warranty anyway.
    But I have photos of the product and it looks to be in a great physical condition, it comes with the original box, a lightning cable and a wall adapter.
    So I thought that for 250€ it might be worth the risk anyway. I don't think I'll still be having it beyond 2016 at most.

I found that some stores over here still carry a few iPad 4s and this exact model is 499€. So I'd be getting it for half the price of a new unit, for some perspective.

4. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I would check what the Apple Store is selling on their website first . They sell certified refurbished products and comes with the warranty 1 year for us in the states so I assume 2 years in Europe ? I personally rather spend a little more for a warranty imo

5. vladobizik thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, Apple doesn't sell refurbished products in my country (I know they do it in the UK and Germany, not sure about anywhere else). In fact, the whole refurb market is virtually nonexistent here. You either get something new or second-hand from a previous owner. The whole concept of refurbishing is completely lost on businesses here.

6. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Ah that sucks . There is decent discounts for iPads here from Apple . Personally I think that's a good deal but I would buy new because I would want the warranty