Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Dear Friends

Good day

I current have a seven year old ipad. So, I plan to buy a new iPad

I do NOT need the best camera etc. standard display and camera is good enough

I use the ipad for web (browser), Music - mp3 mostly, Youtube , FB , mail and some basic apps

So I've been considering an iPad 6th Generation 128GB, 9.7 Inch, WIFI Only. This is the advert on the sellers web site .They also say "...a10 fusion chip with 64-bit architecture, embedded m10 coprocessor ..." on the specifications.

Could some one help me with the following

1. In which year was this iPad 6th gen released ? where can I get the FULL specifications (memory, latest supported operating system etc) for the same

2. Generally apple supports iPhones for approx 5 ~ 6 years. Is it reasonable to expect the same or even _more_ in this case

3. will this ipad 6tht gen be good to use web based whatsapp ?

4. what are the drawbacks of this 6th Gen

5. I plan to use all legit, NO jailbreak etc

thanks in advance for the replies and any other tips you wish to give me

best regards
Subu

Last edited:

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Dear Friends

Good day

I do NOT need retina display or the best camera etc

I use the ipad for web (browser), Music - mp3 mostly, Youtube , FB , mail and some basic apps

So I've been considering an iPad 6th Generation 128GB, 9.7 Inch, WIFI Only. This is the advert on the sellers web site .They also say a10 fusion chip with 64-bit architecture, embedded m10 coprocessor on the specifications.

1. In which year was this iPad 6th gen released ? where can I get the FULL specifications (memory, latest supported operating system etc) for the same

2. Generally apple supports iPhones for approx 5 ~ 6 years. Is it reasonable to expect the same or even _more_ here

best regards
Subu

Really no draw backs it just came out in Spring 2018! Good price and only two year old A10 inside with 2GB RAM and supports the pencil usage! It is a good buy compare to the Pro line. You buy it if you like to upgrade your iPad!

Reactions: Subu

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Dear Friends

Good day

I do NOT need retina display or the best camera etc

So I've been considering an iPad 6th Generation 128GB, 9.7 Inch, WIFI Only. This is the advert on the sellers web site .They also say a10 fusion chip with 64-bit architecture, embedded m10 coprocessor on the specifications.

2018. As it's rather new it supports the latest iOS version available. And the specs should be available in the apple site.

2. Generally apple supports iPhones for approx 5 ~ 6 years. Is it reasonable to expect the same or even _more_ here

I can't help with that to be honest as my first ever Apple device is this iPad and I bought it just two months ago.

I don't use Whatsapp but I don't see any reason to not be good.

best regards
Subu

I won't mention what this device lacks compared to Ipad Pro as I don't have Pro and I can't say how this impacts the user experience. For me the true drawback is its RAM. It's only 2 GB RAM and with the way I am using mine I am affected by this. Lost of reloading tabs in Safari, apps reloading in general.

Leaving this aside I think that this iPad is a good device for anyone that is looking for media consumption device.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Really no draw backs it just came out in Spring 2018! Good price and only two year old A10 inside with 2GB RAM and supports the pencil usage! It is a good buy compare to the Pro line. You buy it if you like to upgrade your iPad!

thanks !

also, is it only pro series that comes with 12 inch display ? are the others comming only with 9.7 inches ? is there some 10.5 or 11 inch model in between ?

regards

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
There is a 10.5 inch 2017 pro but it’s significsntly more than the 2018 6th gen and for your usage, the 6th gen is the Best Buy and future proof for a number of years

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
thanks !

also, is it only pro series that comes with 12 inch display ? are the others comming only with 9.7 inches ? is there some 10.5 or 11 inch model in between ?

regards

Pro models are redesign to have less bezel and has a square off chassis like the iPhone 5 edges/frame. Price is around $800 for 11”, 12.9” is $1,000. Because of the reduced bezel on the 11”, it the same size as the 10.5 physically. Come with an A12X and 4GB RAM unless you buy the 1TB storage which has 6GB RAM.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
There is a 10.5 inch 2017 pro but it’s significsntly more than the 2018 6th gen and for your usage, the 6th gen is the Best Buy and future proof for a number of years

Super !

this 9.7 inches : Is the actual screen size , measured diagonally from corner of screen to corner of screen or including the frame / including the bezels ? because the one I have now is 9.7 in actual screen size measured diagonally ...

thanks a ton for these amazingly fast replies

this forum and members just rock !!

regards
Subu

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Super !

this 9.7 inches : Is the actual screen size , measured diagonally or including the frame / including the bezels ? because the one I have now is 9.7 in screen size measured diagonally ...

thanks a ton for these amazingly fast replies

this forum and members just rock !!

regards
Subu
Same size as your current model. No bezel reduction. Only the Pro models get that!

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Same size as your current model. No bezel reduction. Only the Pro models get that!
Wow ! you've answered before I could edit my post (REAAAL fast). Could you please re read my post and confirm ... I'm measuring JUST the screen
regards
Subu
[doublepost=1543002095][/doublepost]this thread has been SOOO good ! thanks a ton for ALL the replies .. just suuuuper !!
regards
Subu

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
His model is 7 years old, there is definitely a smaller bezel on the newer iPads. The air body is thinner and lighter plus has smaller bezels compared to the older iPads. Obviously not as thin as the newer pro models but still a big improvement over what he’s working with

But yes the screen size is exact same at 9.7, just in a smaller and thinner body

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
one more question :
is there a way to mirror this to a smart TV. the smart TV is on the same wifi network, is a samsung Tv.
[doublepost=1543002375][/doublepost]
His model is 7 years old, there is definitely a smaller bezel on the newer iPads. The air body is thinner and lighter plus has smaller bezels compared to the older iPads. Obviously not as thin as the newer pro models but still a big improvement over what he’s working with

But yes the screen size is exact same at 9.7, just in a smaller and thinner body

THANKS !

Appreciate you confirming the bezel reduction, but I'm happy with the same screen size

So thanks to both the replies !! I'm just rocking here looking at the support !!!!!!!!!!!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
one more question :
is there a way to mirror this to a smart TV. the smart TV is on the same wifi network, is a samsung Tv.
Never something I’ve attempted to ty so I don’t know for sure, I can run YouTube and Netflix and mirror it onto our smart tv
[doublepost=1543002505][/doublepost]
one more question :
[doublepost=1543002375][/doublepost]

THANKS !

Appreciate you confirming the bezel reduction, but I'm happy with the same screen size

So thanks to both the replies !! I'm just rocking here looking at the support !!!!!!!!!!!

Here’s a good pic to compare the bezel difference

Attachments

• 4DA9F293-678B-4B3E-88BD-6FE270D02DE0.jpeg
    4DA9F293-678B-4B3E-88BD-6FE270D02DE0.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 209

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Never something I’ve attempted to ty so I don’t know for sure, I can run YouTube and Netflix and mirror it onto our smart tv
[doublepost=1543002505][/doublepost]

Here’s a good pic to compare the bezel difference

yes, youtube is quite easy. but other sites ... I don't know ...
[doublepost=1543003423][/doublepost]Thanks a ton everyone
I've almost decided to go for this ipad 9.7, (normal) 6t gen ... and you've really helped in that process
I'm signing out for tonight. Please do NOT mind If I do not acknowledge your replies immediately
will visit back tomorrow
regards
Subu

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Web.whatsapp.com doesn’t really work well on any iPad. The website will constantly redirect you back to www.whatsapp.com. You might force it to go there if you’re quick enough to tap on reload in desktop mode, but it won’t remember that the next time even if you bookmark it. In short WhatsApp just doesn’t work easily on iPad. I just use my laptop (desktop browsers work consistently), or a chromebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.