iPad 7” will be the Apple TV remote

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Patrick J, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Patrick J, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I think that 7” or thereabouts is the ideal size for an Apple TV remote.

Rumours keep pointing to a smaller form factor, but we all agree that it doesn’t make sense for Apple to diversify a market it already dominates. They just don’t do that.

[edit] This is why I believe that a 7” tablet won’t be a smaller iPad, neither will it be marketed as such. It will accompany the Apple TV.

2. The Great Boony macrumors regular

Good lord.

3. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

The concept of a device to control a TV is not so far fetched. Perhaps that is what Jobs solved - a TV display with a built in Apple TV and some kind of iPad or iPod Touch device to control it using Siri.

4. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Seems pretty logical to me. iThink that the 3.5” screen is too small for a remote, by contrast, 10” is getting on the big side, and is better for viewing webpages and such.

Around 7” would seem like the right size to have Siri enabled previews, trailers, related content. It would distinguish itself sufficiently from the iPad and iPhone. iRemote. iControl.

It also solves the problem of shouting across the room at your electronics, as the mic is right in your lap (Xbox, anyone? “XBOX - BING!!!!”).

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Apple has so far produced iOS based remote apps for its Apple TV that work on all iOS devices. IF Apple released a 7" device then it's logical that it would utilize this app. What's NOT logical is that Apple would produce a device that functioned primarily as a remote so your premise is more than a little farfetched.

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

The iPod touch would be the remote before a seven inch device would or how about any iOS device could be the remote.

Don't we already use iPhones and iPod's for AppleTV? How woul the screen too small. To say its too small would be saying its too small to use on a phone

7. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

The iPhone is a... Mobile phone.

A dedicated apple tv remote would have multimedia content on screen and could work as a secondary display to the tv, therefore needing a bigger screen.

8. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

Only problem with this is...

There won't be a 7in IPad ;)

9. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Except, if ANY of that made sense, it could be done through an app. We already have iOS devices acting as Apple TV remotes through the "Remote" app. Another device, especially a dedicated remote-only device, is totally unnecessary and a stupid idea.

10. minstrel2012 macrumors newbie

sounds it will be true.

11. Kizmatti macrumors newbie

Apple tv remotes

I don't see Apple making a 7 inch screen device solely for a dedicated Tv remote as you suggest.

The FREE remote app that can be downloaded onto the current IPhone, IPod touch, or IPad 1 or 2 is more than sufficient for remote functions on a TV. I wouldn't buy another device for remote function because it has a different screen size.

Being that my house hold currently has 3 IPhone 4s, 2 iPod touches, 2 IPad 2's, a 2011 Mac Mini, 2011 IMac, and a 2011 Mac Pro, I find no use in a 7 inch IPad dedicated to remotely controlling any of the Tv's in my household.

As you can tell I like Apple products, and they work together seamlessly or I wouldn't have purchased what I currently have, but another device would be redundant at this point, and for what you suggest just bad marketing on Apples part.

12. joeyboyyy91 macrumors member

I think 7inch would still be too big. something about 5.5 - 6 inches would be better to hold.

Its a good idea, potentially it could be ridiculously thin, as really it would only be an input device.

Whatever happens im sure the remote for apple tv will be gorgeous, and probably radically different to 'normal' tv remotes.

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary, come again?

You really think something the size of an A5 paper to be a comfortable remote?

No, the new Apple TV will be about:

• Content (they are going after cable and their lousy offerings and prices)
    • Siri (Voice controlled)
    A large remote is not going to revolutionize anything. Sure, they may offer an remote app to use with iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad but it will not be the primary remote.

There is also the argument of price. Bundling this 7" remote would make it prohibitively expensive!

14. urkel macrumors 68030

And a 7" iPad is what? A revolutionary new product that distinguishes itself in a completely new way? I'm all for. 7" iPad but let's not pretend this is anything but a screen size option for existing products.

And who would create that multimedia content? Apple? They're not in that business and the people that are capable of it aren't interested in creating content that such a limited audience would be allowed to view.

I do feel that Apple will integrate iOS devices into AppleTV some day but I don't think that specific screen size will be a personal preference rather than a requirement.

15. bp1000 macrumors 65816

If I were apple and I was making a tv I would do away with the traditional remote in favour of a large screen touch display.

The apple remote works very well with movies and music along with album art on the iPad.

It would make sense to make the remote a similar but smaller form factor to the iPad. The large screen would allow you to view the program guide on the device and manage all the recordings and iTunes store content on the device so it doesn't interrupt the tv content. Also so you aren't straining your eyes to read it.

It would be bundled with the tv and iTunes would have movies and tv shows in iCloud too.

If I were apple...

I don't think we will ever see and iPad 7". What's the point, it's too small to really enjoy the content. I don't know why everyone is talking about it.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Your all wrong! They arnt releasing a 7" model. The 7" will be for retail stores to replace the current 10" iPad display things!

17. danahn17 macrumors 6502

No thank you.

The 7" Kindle Fire is $200. A 7" iPad will likely cost more than the Fire (due to better internals and such).

Apple's TV, though it may be amazing, will be expensive (like all Apple products). I would rather not pay an additional $200+ on top of that just for my TV's remote. That's like the cost of another TV.

18. newdeal macrumors 68020

Actually a 5" would be the ideal size for a remote. even a 7" is too big imo. Perhaps a 6" but even that would be stretching it unless the bezel was much smaller than current ereader bezels

19. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

If you believe the rumors out there, Apple is either looking at/getting ready to manufacture/already building something with 7" displays, presumed to some kind of iPad. If you think about the small size of a Touch or iPhone, that size would be okay if it simply was used to activate Siri or perhaps push some buttons, but what if the device does more? What if you could type on it? I'm not so sure that it is as far fetched as some are thinking. Yeah, it would be expensive, but one of the rumors on it was that the TV Apple is looking at releasing would be much more expensive than anything out there right now.

20. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

21. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Apart from there already being rumours in the wild about a 7” tablet, I believe it’s the great size for typing (my iPad quickly gets heavy in my hand).

I think that TV companies have figured out that people like having TV in front of them and something in their lap (twitter, fb, g+, etc). Ratings go up when people talk about a show they are watching. So these companies would definitely benefit by making apps for an apple iRemote.

22. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

OP, they can already make apps for the current ios devices and the iPad is already lappable.

It doesn't make any sense at all to build a 7" device for remote purposes only especially when the world has stated that there's absolutely nothing better than the iPad.

The kindle fire is selling(FOR NOW) not because of its size but because it's a cheap product from a very respectable brand. Just because a small percentage of people out here want 7" devices doesn't mean we are going to see one from apple.

23. Carouser macrumors 65816

I still have no idea why a 7" device is somehow the ideal approach for Apple's remote. They would be better off throwing in an iPod Touch or a modified one, to serve as a basic remote out of the box, allowing people to supplant it with their own iOS device if they so choose.

I think the OP is confusing what he or she wants with what is reasonable for Apple to do.

24. poloponies macrumors 68030

You keep describing an iPad but somehow think it would gain more traction if it's called a "remote". It's illogical for any company that has demonstrated a viable technology to suddenly backtrack and make it more restrictive. When 100% of what you describe can already been done with an iPad, just say you want a 7" iPad and then we can safely ignore you.

25. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

And iPod Touch would be easier to handle and more practical to use as a remote control than an iPad 7".
    Still, I don't believe that's going to happen like that. I think that there may be a Remote Control App (like the one that already exists) for those users with an iPhone or iPod Touch; but as a standard, out of the box, there will be a very small and simplistic remote (like the current Apple Remote Control), with the addition of voice input for SIRI (if it gets implemented at all). Also, I really hope the remote will be Bluetooth and no longer IR.