Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Just purchased a new Air 2. Also bought the white Smart Cover. I am noticing that the cover does not unlock my 2 about half the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The same issue happens when I use the Smart Cover from my wife's Air 1. Would you return the Air 2 because of this?

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Just purchased a new Air 2. Also bought the white Smart Cover. I am noticing that the cover does not unlock my 2 about half the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The same issue happens when I use the Smart Cover from my wife's Air 1. Would you return the Air 2 because of this?

Wondering. Is this a leftover Air smart cover, or a brand new Air 2 cover? You will see on the back of the packaging a picture of the Air 2 speaker grill to show it's the new one.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't have my Air 2 to confirm yes, but from what I've read elsewhere the iPad Air covers are suppose to work fine w/ the Air 2. I think the white cover is new for the Air 2 anyway. So, yes, I would def. take it in, along w/ the white cover and see which one is defective.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Wondering. Is this a leftover Air smart cover, or a brand new Air 2 cover? You will see on the back of the packaging a picture of the Air 2 speaker grill to show it's the new one.

This is a brand new Air 2 cover I bought at the Apple Store yesterday. It is the new white cover.

----------

I don't have my Air 2 to confirm yes, but from what I've read elsewhere the iPad Air covers are suppose to work fine w/ the Air 2. I think the white cover is new for the Air 2 anyway. So, yes, I would def. take it in, along w/ the white cover and see which one is defective.

Thanks. I don't think it is the cover, since the same problem happens with two different Smart Covers. I know it is no big deal to slide to unlock, but I hate to think I spent all this money if there is something wrong with the iPad itself.

Jdgriffin811

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
Mine has the same problem

I just got a new iPad air 2, but my cover is a generic one. But it doesn't lock or unlock the screen. The setting is confirmed turned on, but no functionality. I have even tried moving a powerful magnet around the edge of the iPad air 2 to see if it does anything and there is no locking or unlocking.

When I use the same magnet on my old iPad 2, it unlocks and locks repeatedly. I'm thinking about bringing it back to the Apple Store to possible swap it out. I paid way too much for this for it to not work.

Last edited:

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
On two occasions my iPad wouldn't wake up after opening up these cases cover. I had to do a home button/sleep button restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.