iPad Ipad air: Extremely faint shadowy line across middle of screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by princebig7, Nov 7, 2013.

1. princebig7 macrumors member

I've showed the issue to a few people and they have been looking at me like I'm crazy (actually just a little OCD) lol. The shadowy line is so ridiculously faint going horizontally vs my screen in portrait mode. You can only see the slightest line if there's a completely white screen. I got myself all worked up from reading these forums that instead of enjoying the air the first thing I did was inspect and stare at every little thing I thought could be a defect. I hate playing the apple lottery of exchanging iPads cause my issue is barely noticeable, if I wasn't looking for it I probably would of never seen it. Do I wait a few days too see if it will correct itself cause its brand new maybe it will completely fade out?
    Am I being ridiculous? I'm coming from a mini and looking at the mini screen I don't see this shadowy line so I don't know what to do. Any new Air owners experiencing this? I would hate to exchange it and get an Air with screen discoloration or dead pixels cause other then an extremely light shadow the Air is perfect! Thoughts, comments feedback is much appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. macred macrumors regular

Apple has a rather dodgy history when it comes to iPad displays. On one hand the faithful love to brag about Apple superiority as much as Apple takes great delight in charging fat profit margins. On the other hand as a customer I expect the quality I pay for, yet I've been an Apple customer too long to kid myself about getting it in all cases.

You're best bet is do what you want.

3. Poder macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have exactly the same issue on my 128GB iPad Air : a very very faint horizontal line (middle of the screen, portrait mode) that only shows on a white background. I only see it if I look for it. Someone also reported this somewhere in the "Screen defect" post with pictures. Given that perfect LCD screen does not exist I keep and enjoy mine.

4. princebig7 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for your input. Do you find yourself looking for it when a predominantly white page is up, like macrumors forum for example? Do you think it will fade out over time?

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

return it. Especially if you got it from Apple.

Right now they are in early failure analysis time so they want to get defective and possibly defective units. And you will be in your return period so you can take in the full box and get a retail swap pretty darn easy. At least from Apple. Other retailers YMMV

6. Poder macrumors newbie

No I am not looking for it and I cannot see it when I browse those forums for instance. I have no idea if it will fade away, but I doubt it will. I you go for an exchange you expose yourself to get a screen with other effects in the way and get trapped in the exchange loop... ;-)

7. princebig7 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly! That's what my huge fear is getting trapped in the loop.

8. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

Had the exact same thing! Bought mine from apple and will return that this weekend. I already bought another from BBY, as I figured if I have to exchange anyway, I'll take advantage of the $479 walmart price match and and extra $25 back from amex. New one doesn't have the faded line!

9. princebig7 thread starter macrumors member

Weren't you worried you would get a much worse issue and be trapped in the return loop?

10. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

Sure I was, but then there's apple's extremely liberal warranty policies. No questions asked replacements, friendly genius employees etc. It would be fine regardless.

11. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Mine doesn't have this line, and I just looked pretty hard for it (against my better judgment) after reading this thread and seeing something similar in another thread.

I mention this only to confirm that there is indeed variation here, if not a clear defect, and that it's not simply a design issue that all of the screens share.

12. princebig7 thread starter macrumors member

The line is so ridiculously light I need to have a complete white page up and put my face pretty close to the screen. A normal person wouldn't of noticed and when I show it to people they can't see it except for one. I know I'm OCD with detail but I think I just need to accept there's no such thing as a perfect screen and to be happy that my screen could have worser issues that people are describing on here. I have a genius appt tomorrow so I'll see what they say.

13. MacintoshDan macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure mine has the same problem, but the line isn't faint. You notice it when scrolling white backgrounded items like webpages and such. I don't know if I should risk exchanging or not. I might just wait a month or so and exchange then at apple. Or I might take it back to AT&T today....

14. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

If it's not noticeable during normal usage, then keep it. Stop trying to look for it.