Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit today shared a teardown of the resurrected iPad Air, confirming specs and providing some additional details about the component parts of Apple's new middle-tier tablet, which is compatible with the first-gen Apple Pencil.

ipad-air-teardown-ifixit-800x600.jpeg

The iPad Air is identical in size and thickness to the 2017 10.5-inch iPad Pro, and just a bit lighter weight. iFixit notes that outwardly, the only design differences include a new, darker Space Gray color, the absence of a camera bump, and two speakers compared to the iPad Pro's four. The new model number is A2152.

Opening the iPad Air up reveals an internal layout and central logic board similar to Apple's 2017 iPad Pro range. The dual-celled 30.8 Wh battery is a little bigger than the 30.2 Wh Apple advertises on its site, and a provides a step up from the 27.6 Wh battery in the 2014 iPad Air 2. Battery life is advertised as up to 10 hours.

Meanwhile, Apple's A12 Bionic processor is layered over 3GB of RAM, and iFixit confirms the rear camera remains at 8 megapixels.

Otherwise, as iFixit notes, the size is similar, the Pencil support is similar, and the chips are similar to the old 10.5-inch iPad Pro. However, the Air lacks the latter's ProMotion 120 Hz technology that's now exclusive to the 2018 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro. ProMotion automatically adjusts the display to the movement of the content, for fluid scrolling, greater responsiveness and smoother motion.

The new iPad Air is harder to take apart than the late 10.5-inch iPad Pro, since it lacks the latter's stretch-release adhesive pull tabs and includes extra adhesive near the top of the screen. As such, iFixit gives the new iPad Air a 2/10 for repairability, the same score the new iPad mini earned in yesterday's teardown.

Article Link: iPad Air Teardown: A12 Bionic Processor With 3GB of RAM, Bluetooth 5 and Larger Battery, But Lacks ProMotion Display Tech

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is probably my favorite size iPad with the 10.5 display. I’m completely content that they added the A12 processor and True tone, Apple Pencil support, however, if they would’ve added Promotion display, this would’ve been a ‘home-run’ by my standards. But still, a nice refresh to the the Air alongside the refreshed Mini.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Only thing I really lament here is the loss of quad speakers, though for this sort of device/ use case I suppose it's really not a massive issue for most people. Other than that a really solid device for the money, and makes more sense in the line to me than the 10.5 Pro did while being so close in price to the 11".

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Boring refresh.

Boring comment.:p

I Have the iPad Mini 2, was a present for my girlfriend but rarely used it when abroad, she left it here last time, have little use for it, sometimes comes in handy but could easily do all and more on my 2012 13" MBP, sadly my Tv provider does not have a web browser viewer, is available on the iPad though, don't see that much TV, better stream from other sources, pick and watch instead of the content that's available from my provider, Tv sucks overall.

The Air seems to be a good upgrade from earlier versions, for those who have it, enjoy.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
IMHO, the 10.5" iPad Pro from 2017 is a better buy right now.

It's the 2019 iPad Air with a better display (pro motion) and better stereo speakers that actually sound like stereo. The only advantage of the 2019 iPad Air is the A12 processor. But the A10X processor in the 2017 iPad Pro is more than powerful enough for most people; when the 2017 iPP 10.5" came out, professional reviews and benchmark tests indicated it was as fast or faster than many mainstream laptop computers. I would conjecture that very few people need their iPad in 2019 to be more powerful than a typical laptop from 2017; and those that do can pony up and buy the 2018 iPad Pro.

Still, I'm happy that Apple is making the 2019 iPad Air. It's a good option for people who want more than the basic 9.7" iPad but can't afford the 2018 iPad Pro. I'm also happy that Apple has not retired the 10.5" form factor. The increase in screen size over the 9.7" model, while modest, is still enough to be a meaningful improvement, and yet the difference in size and weight between the two models is hardly noticeable.

Last edited:

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
To offer something more affordable under the ‘Pro line’. Considering everything it’s offering, it’s fairly competitive in features and it has first Gen Apple Pencil support. The 10.5 is like the perfect median of a size of an iPad that’s not too large or too small either.
A lot of people don't get this. When trying to save your company money, you come to the realization that really, any available iPad will do just fine for almost any purpose, including the new iPad Air. I was recommending the 9.7" iPad, but these days I recommend the iPad Air. Latest components, low price.

Reactions: G5isAlive

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
A lot of people don't get this. When trying to save your company money, you come to the realization that really, any available iPad will do just fine for almost any purpose, including the new iPad Air. I was recommending the 9.7" iPad, but these days I recommend the iPad Air. Latest components, low price.

The smart connector functionality is also very useful for those wanting it for laptop replacement...(bluetooth keyboards dont have the seamless functionality)

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
A marginal improvement over the iPad Air 2 from 2014.

Would love to know your definition of 'marginal.' More Ram, much faster graphics and cpu, more base storage, pencil support versus none, more battery, better display (True Tone and larger), brighter display, wider gamut, Smart Keyboard support versus none, better bluetooth, better wifi, better FaceTime camera...

The only thing that wasn't drastically improved was the form factor. And the only new features missing, FaceID, ProMotion, Pencil Gen 2, and quad speakers, can be had for a mere $300 more.

Marginal? I must have missed the /s

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The smart connector functionality is also very useful for those wanting it for laptop replacement...(bluetooth keyboards dont have the seamless functionality)

And there’s no loss of connection/lag with the smart connector. Bluetooth keyboards are fairly good today, but with the smart connector, it really eliminates both of those concerns.

IMHO, the 10.5" iPad Pro from 2017 is a better buy right now. It's the 2019 iPad Air with a better display (promotion) and better stereo speakers that actually sound like stereo. The only advantage of the 2019 iPad Air is the A12 processor. But the A10X processor in the 2017 iPad Pro is more than powerful enough for most people; when the 2017 iPP 10.5" came out, professional reviews and benchmark tests indicated it was as fast or faster than many mainstream laptop computers. I would conjecture that very few people need their iPad in 2019 to be more powerful than a typical laptop from 2017; and those that do can pony up and buy the 2018 iPad Pro.

Still, I'm happy that Apple is making the 2019 iPad Air. It's a good option for people want more than the basic 9.7" iPad but can't afford the 2018 iPad Pro. I'm also happy that Apple has not retired the 10.5" form factor. The increase in screen size over the 9.7" model, while modest, is still enough to be a meaningful improvement, and yet the difference in size and weight between the two models is hardly noticeable.
Yup I tend to agree with you now.

When this we first announced I would argue “No this one is $150 cheaper and has a more powerful processor! This is a good thing!” But now I’m realizing for the average person these processors are a push (especially with the 4GB RAM in the older pro) and combine that with the fact that I’ve seen many sales of new or refurbished iPad Pro 10.5 for the same or even cheaper price than the Air 3. I was *this* close to pulling the switch on a refurbished 10.5 Pro on amazon for like 400 (combined with a $75 open box Smart Keyboard deal on eBay) to replace my 9.7 Pro. But honestly I realized the difference between the 2 is just not that great. Plus I really love the ability to have the free Office suite when I occasionally need it.

Reactions: roncron

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Meh update imo. Getting the 2017 iPad Pro seems like a better decision.
I agree - my 2017 iPad Pro 12.5, at least so far, has given me no issues the last 16 months since I purchased it. It doesn't bend so easily, has a phone jack, and still has touch id. I have no interest in face id - it's more expensive, and I honestly don't want my eyes bombarded by IR radiation. The only improvement I'd like would be to expand touch id to the whole display rather than just the home button, and to be able to use the newer pencil with it. The old pencil charging method - inserting it into the lightning port - is awkward. I guess I should knock on wood, as others in this thread have mentioned some issues with the 2017 models. I think the best buy on a MBP right now is for the 2015 models, the last with the older keyboard model and non-flimsy display cables. Neither of those "features" would have been necessary if Apple wasn't so focused on thin. If they'd just go back to the 2015 design with processor and SSD updates I'd probably buy one.

Last edited:

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
IMHO, the 10.5" iPad Pro from 2017 is a better buy right now. It's the 2019 iPad Air with a better display (promotion) and better stereo speakers that actually sound like stereo. The only advantage of the 2019 iPad Air is the A12 processor. But the A10X processor in the 2017 iPad Pro is more than powerful enough for most people; when the 2017 iPP 10.5" came out, professional reviews and benchmark tests indicated it was as fast or faster than many mainstream laptop computers. I would conjecture that very few people need their iPad in 2019 to be more powerful than a typical laptop from 2017; and those that do can pony up and buy the 2018 iPad Pro.

Still, I'm happy that Apple is making the 2019 iPad Air. It's a good option for people want more than the basic 9.7" iPad but can't afford the 2018 iPad Pro. I'm also happy that Apple has not retired the 10.5" form factor. The increase in screen size over the 9.7" model, while modest, is still enough to be a meaningful improvement, and yet the difference in size and weight between the two models is hardly noticeable.
Agreed. I was debating between the iPad Pro 10.5 (2017) and the new Air. The Pro had the better display, but only LTE-A and Bluetooth 4.2.

In the end, the wait for the new Air to arrive in store and the $560 price after tax on the Pro is what made the decision for me. Seeing this tear down confirms I made the right decision with the Pro.

Reactions: roncron
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.