iPad and a PC in the UK - what will iCloud offer me... Anything?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

As with many people...... My only Apple product is an iPad.

As with the majority of people....... My computer is a Windows PC.

As with 62 million other people......... I live in the UK.

For all us people, what will iCloud offer/mean to us?

I was very much hoping for some online data storage centre integrated into iOS 5, so I could save all my files into the cloud for safe keeping and access by other devices over the long term. A bit like a fully integrated Apple version of dropbox

But unless I'm missing something, it's nothing like this.
    It seems to be a temporary storage area, apart from iTunes music, that keeps Apple devices in sync, and holds onto thing like photo's for a limited amount of time.

So can someone please explain to me, and the rest of us, what does iCloud actually offer us?

2. darkside flow macrumors 6502

It will mean nothing, because iCloud hasn't been announced for the UK and doesn't look like it will be for the foreseeable future.

Problem is iTunes Match breaking UK law and the record labels there not wanting to cooperate just yet.

My guess is that Apple doesn't want to launch their service with a major (the most major, in fact) service missing. Without iTunes Match, iCloud is just a free service they would be providing and that's not kosher for them.

3. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

In what way has iCloud not been announced for the UK?

It's the main thing plastered all over Apple's UK homepage.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I use my iPad to edit documents, so I'm looking forward to using iCloud to keep my documents in sync between my computer, iPad, and iPod touch. Right now, I have to upload my file to dropbox, or email it to myself every time I make a change to it on my iPad. I often find myself sitting at my computer ready to continue work on a document, only to find that the latest verson is still on my iPad. I then have to fish out my iPad, email or upload... If iCloud works the way I think it should, it'll smooth out my work flow quite a bit!

I also think app developers could use iCloud to sync data between devices. So I could play Angry Birds on my iPad, and pick it up on my iPod touch where I left off. There are many apps that could benefit from this ability, if the developers would implement this feature in their apps.

5. Mdifilm macrumors regular

Not sure why you are using dropbox that way, I use pc and Mac and I have design projects on dropbox. When I am at my studio I would just open the file directly from dropbox and when I am done with it, save it there, go home, and continue working, no need to worrying which file is the latest, Icloud is actually the samething as dropbox. Just streamlined a bit more and much way streamlined for music than dropbox would be.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But when you edit a file in iPad, you have to manually save the file to Dropbox. I often forget, or maybe I happen to be in a spot without Internet connection when I make the change. Like you say, iCloud is the same as Dropbox, only more streamlined -- it's the streamlined part I'm looking forward to.

7. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny