Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silverlink

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I’m determined, however hopeless it may be, to have a mobile phone minus the full carrier plan commitment. I think I have the equipment I need, I just need the help to make it work.

• I have the iPod touch 3rd generation, running ios4
  • iPad 3G (unfortunately running 3.2.1)

My plan is to create a wireless hotspot on the iPad, tether the iPod touch and essentially have a Skype connection that is always on.

Issues – and questions maybe you can answer?

• iPad running 3.2.1 is not jail breakable unless I restore to previous OS?
  • My iPad has been through the jailbreakme.com method twice and it’s bricked it both times (full restore as a new ipad required); have iPad 3G related fixes been made to jailbreakme.com?
  • Any wireless hotspot created on the iPad will shut down when the device is locked?

I did consider a mobile wifi device like Sprint's MiFi, but it's $60 a month. :eek:

leons

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
3.2.1 JB is fine now. (I am writingb his from one).

A more versatile solution to consider is what I do. Get an iPhone, put a blackberry data chip in, and run skype there with no voice plan.

iPadztr

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Pluto avenue
I'd like to try this. Although I lready have iPhone 4, I just want to experiment if this is possible. Just need an iPod touch now :D What's the new gen for iPod touch?

reddevils9119

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Home: CT School: NEU
Virgin mobile sells a pay as you go mifi device...
Anyway, in theory this should work, but I would think that you would burn through your ipad's battery relatively quickly. Also, as far as I know, 3.2.1 iPads can be jailbroken now, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Silverlink

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
3.2.1 JB is fine now. (I am writingb his from one).

A more versatile solution to consider is what I do. Get an iPhone, put a blackberry data chip in, and run skype there with no voice plan.

thanks, using your logic I could take out the ipad 3G sim card, mount it to a DIY sim card holder, slot it into the contract-free iphone, setup a hotspot on the iphone and let the ipad piggyback off that while getting skype calls thru the iphone.

Gvillechris

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
iPad wireless hotspot???

I'm fascinated...how does one create a wireless hotspot using an iPad? Mine is 3G and my wife has an itouch...do tell.

Silverlink

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I give up

Jailbroke the ipad 3g, created mywi network, then connected iPod touch 3rd Gen running 4.0 to the iPads mywi network. Skype would not receive calls while touch was locked.

Jailbroke the touch, installed insomnia but still didn’t receive a call while locked- now Skype was warning that this version isn’t supported on unmodified devices so no calls were coming through, even with app running.

Took the iPad 3G sim card, created a DIY sim card holder for it, inserted into an iPhone 3GS running ios4 and configured the phone to use just the data plan I got with the ipad. Skype would not receive call, locked or unlocked.

Jailbroke the iPhone, installed insomnia but still didn’t receive a call while locked- Skype again warning that this version isn’t supported on jailbroken devices.

Now I’m at the point where I get no Skype calls on any device, even when the app is open!

Silverlink

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I'm fascinated...how does one create a wireless hotspot using an iPad? Mine is 3G and my wife has an itouch...do tell.

go to jailbreakme.com on your ipad - you will now have cydia installed. Open cydia and search for mywi, install and use the app to create a mini wireless network, using your ipads 3G connection

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
This all seems very complicated and I really don't see a way to do it without running down the battery.

Also I wouldn't trust 3g to be reliable enough for making/receiving calls.

Silverlink

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
This all seems very complicated and I really don't see a way to do it without running down the battery.

Also I wouldn't trust 3g to be reliable enough for making/receiving calls.

I agree it's too complicated. 3G is fast enough for voice calls and battery drainage isn't as bad as you would think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.