iPad availability in the US (as of 8/1/10) - UPDATED: BOUGHT AN iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SiMBa37, Aug 1, 2010.

1. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

My wife really wants an iPad, she's content with the Wifi only 16gb model. I live in NY w/n proximity of 3 apple stores, and no one carries it, and they are not helpful in terms of their shipments. The 4 Best Buys within 45 min driving distance are also sold out.

I went ahead and ordered online today, est delivery date is 8/19!! Wow, didn't realize supply was that low.

Lets say I find one in a store between now and then, will Apple let me return the mail order one without a restocking fee?

UPDATE (8/2/10) - BOUGHT AN iPad (See post below)

2. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

As long as it is still sealed and unopened. You may have to pay for return shipping, however.

3. SiMBa37 thread starter macrumors regular

I was contemplating just bringing the unopened box with the receipt directly to my local Apple store and returning that way, think its possible?

4. pdhahn macrumors member

I feel your pain. I also ordered online and the waiting is killing me. I've heard a couple stories of delivery occurring a day or two ahead of schedule, so I'm hoping I might get lucky too.

5. iThinman macrumors regular

I routinely buy things on the online store, go to the apple store and if stock, purchase and cancel my online order while the guy rings me up. As long as not shipped yet, no big deal, and if it shipped already, it's only a couple days from you at that point anyway.

6. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

I'd recommend checking out your small Apple resellers around your area. You'll be surprised by the amount of mom & pop shops that are authorized resellers. Apple has a nice tool for finding them here: http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/index.html. You can limit your search for just places that sell iPads too.

I managed to find mine at a resellers when Best Buy and the Apple Store were sold out. If the store is nice enough, they may even have a waiting list that is shorter than the other places if they're out of stock.

7. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Try www.macmall.com. Last I heard they had WiFi in stock and they don't charge sales tax (assuming you aren't in the same state that they operate out of).

8. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

That is a nice tool. I found a couple Macxprts around here and a Maccafe, whatever the hell that is, that carry Apple products. Already own an iPad but nice to know for the future.

9. MoneyBagger macrumors newbie

Please avoid MacMall unless they tell you they actually have the iPad you want in stock. Pre-ordering with them is a lot slower than through the Apple Store.

10. SiMBa37 thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate the link, gave it a try but all that resulted were the Apple Stores in Long Island, NYC, and Connecticut. It may work for other metro areas.

11. Anthony.L macrumors member

I've bought two now from one of my local Apple retail stores by just walking in. The key is the lower end models are in either the highest demand or the lowest quantities. Both times they have had the most expensive one in stock (64gb wifi + 3g), but not the least expensive (wifi 16gb).

Short story, buy a higher model and walk out today with one in hand!

12. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Try Tekserve?

13. Saberj macrumors regular

I ordered online. Found one in store about 45 minutes away about 7 days before it was supposed to ship. I just went online and canceled. Simply put, if you find one, check your order status and cancel the one online.

14. r-sky macrumors member

I was able to get my 32g Wi-Fi from Best Buy last week after just three days of persistence. All the BB stores in the MD/DC/VA area open at 10am. They all told me they did not know when an Apple shipment would come in, but usually was overnight and on shelves first thing in the morning.

I made a list of 4-5 that were somewhat nearby, using the BB store locator on their website, and started calling each store in the morning at 10am. Took a minute or so to talk with person who answered, total of about 15 minutes. On the third day I hit the jackpot - they had the exact model I wanted. Went over and picked it up.

One BB store would let me purchase an iPad with a credit card over the phone and then go to pick it up in their store, but that was with a 32g 3-G model. The store that had the Wi-Fi only that I wanted said first-come-first serve. So I jumped in the car and soon thereafter had it in my hands! :)

15. pdhahn macrumors member

How long did it take for the website charge to disappear off of your credit card?

16. AndyLpool macrumors newbie

Sorry to butt in, I did exactly the same and it took about three days to drop off the account.

17. pdhahn macrumors member

No need to apologize. That was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks!

18. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

Try using your zip and specify iPad on the drop down. City names don't seem to work too well in dense areas.

19. SiMBa37 thread starter macrumors regular

Did that, just came up with one re-seller who didn't have it. On the plus side, just check Best Buy.com and 1 store right near my work says they have in store availability, I'll have to give them a call before I leave, perhaps I can pick it up.

I assume that apple products bought in Best Buy can still be brought to the Apple Store for service if something goes wrong, right?

20. Wailord macrumors 6502

Yeah, any products covered by AppleCare can be brought in to the Apple Store. Thank God, too. Dealing with Best Buy's customer service would be a total drag after dealing with Apple's.

21. steamtoy macrumors regular

Try ebay. I've sold 10 ipads as buy it now. Combining with bing cashback you also save a lot

22. Garand macrumors member

Wow - guess I lucked out. Decided to get an ipad on Friday - was targeting the 32Gb wifi. Went to Best Buy at 2pm and they still had a 32 wifi and a 64 wifi/3G. So I went with the wifi. I plan on using the ipad for a year or so until Ipad 2.0 comes out and then letting my daughter use the old ipad.

23. SiMBa37 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have to purchase apple care in order to bring your pad in for service within the warrenty period? I assume no.

While on the topic, do you guys recommend Apple Care for the iPad. Its 1/5 the cost of the product! (at least for the model i'm interested in)

24. Wailord macrumors 6502

No, AppleCare simply extends the phone support from 90 days to two years and the hardware support from one to two years. All iPads (actually, I'd assume all Apple hardware) come with 90-day phone support/one-year hardware support standard.

As for whether or not I'd recommend it, I dunno. :p

25. JAG77 macrumors member

Yayy

WOW. Thank you very much for this! I ordered my 16gb wifi on July 28th through the online Apple Store and they said it wasn't going to ship until the 11th! I called a local store and they had them in stock for me to pick up today! The Apple case I got from the online store shipped in about 3 days, so I already have that.