iPad iPad color gamut… again

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ron7624, Jun 29, 2014.

1. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

In multiple threads I have seen raging comments about color gamut issues between the iPad Air and retina iPad mini. I have both and I have commented that I could not see very much the difference between the two.
    People have replied with test results and what have you.
    I pulled up a quickly (and poorly) taken picture that was in my photo stream. I was standing behind the mother who was actually taking the picture and I grabbed a quick shot with an iPhone 5.
    I still say there is very little difference. I chose this shot because of all the different colored clothing involved. I used an iPhone 5c take this comparison shot.
    Do you see much of a difference? If I get blasted for using this shot, please post a shot you want me to use and I will re-photograph and post it.

Attached Files:

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

The pic on the left appears to have a little more color but not by much. Besides that I do agree there really isn't much difference between the two pics.

3. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

People find odd things to complain about when it comes to their devices. I never understood the purpose of going into a pitch black room, turning the brightness on my iPad to 100%, bringing up a black screen, and then measuring the light bleed and hotspots on the panel. When in actual use are you going to replicate this scenario?

But, different things are important to different people. Yeah, I see a little bit of a difference between the two; the iPad Mini looks a little bit more washed out than the Air, for starters. It's not enough to bother me. My wife can't really see a difference between her non-Retina iPad Mini and my Air, though, so everyone sees the things that matter to them.

4. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I don't see any difference between the pictures, but I am viewing them on a retina mini, so....

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Taking a picture of an LCD screen then asking someone to look at it on there LCD screen is completely pointless. If you have an issue with the colour on your idevices buy an i1 display pro and download the colortrue app for calibration.

6. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

7. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

I'm not the one with a problem, I'm the one without a problem. Read my original post more closely, it is others that complain

8. Skika macrumors 68030

This is a poor representation of the colour gamut differences. I went to see them in the store, compare them side by side and there is a much bigger difference between them, Air is clearly superior.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

But my point is still valid. Taking a photo of an LCD changes the colour because of the camera used. Therefore posting two pictures to demonstrate colour differences (good or bad) is a waste of time.

10. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It's not as bad as people think it is. I own both, the air and the retina mini. Both are great and the color on both is outstanding.

11. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

You can continue to say it repeatedly, but visually - to my eyes - the picture posted is a very close representation of what I saw. That's the reason I posted it. There just isn't that much difference. Yes, the air has slightly richer color, No, it doesn't make that much difference.

12. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Outside of this forum, you will never hear of iPad colour issues.

People here like moaning, and thus want a professional grade product for consumer pricing. Ultimately, to 99.999999% of people, they don't care about the difference in colour, because there is no point at which they will have both an iPad mini and an iPad air side-by-side in a situation which requires identically colour-calibrated LCD screens.

Oh, and don't get me started on those that leave a checkerboard on the screen for 20 minutes at a time trying to reproduce image retention!

13. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

lol...exactly.

14. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Despite my love of the retina iPad mini it is obvious that the Mini displays much less colour then the Air (I have both). If you want to compare the two screens, use a colorful, well-taken picture instead of a low quality picture with similar colors and poor lighting. Also, professional comparisons (read: Anandtech) were already available in reviews last year. So I don't see the point in this post.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

When I compared my mini and Air, there was a difference that could not be mistaken.

16. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Your method of wanting to show a difference is completely pointless. Taking a picture of screens introduces an entirely new element to the mix completely clouding any point you are trying to make. Which really doesn't matter anyway because most can see a difference especially when side by side.

If you can't, then good for you, your eye isn't very trained then. And that's fine. But don't try proving that they are so close in color gamut. Professional tests can be found on the web using equipment and it proves there's about 30 percent greater color saturation on the air.

I do professional photography and videography for a living so I can say with much confidence that there's definitely a difference to my eyes as can most others on this forum.

17. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

It's settled fact that the rMini has a inferrer color gamet compared to the iPad Air. It can also be agreed apon that there are many, many satisfied rMini owners out there like myself who are completely happy with their rMini. End of story. So please move along there's nothing to see here.

It's sort of funny but since we don't have new things to complain about we're started rehashing the old stuff.

18. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

I never said there was not a difference. My point is that it doesn't matter - it's not that much of a difference. The iPad rMini is still a magical, wonderful device - just as is the iPad Air.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Then we agree! The difference does not matter to me as I no longer own a Mini.

20. carmona macrumors newbie

Indeed I don't see a reason to compare colours of two different iPads. The only situation I know where colors need to be right is when showing my photos to the customers. And when I do, I do it on just one iPad of course. :D

Anyway, like Apple fanboy mentioned, there are calibration tools made for computers that work for an app to show at least the photos of your photo roll with correct colours.

As he told there is colortrue, and I use SpyderGallery. It's the same, but just for the Spyder sensor and you can download them for free...

21. cynics macrumors G4

If a computer or benchmark can measure it then people will compare it.

Personally I can't tell much of a difference side by side, and I cannot tell a difference at all if I hold them separately. That is all that matters to me in the end.

HOWEVER, if asked I would want the device that is better, even on a technical and unnoticeable level. It is my money after all.

22. msh macrumors regular

Not just this forum. Here is the review of the retina iPad Mini display from Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed/3

The ret mini doesn't even display sRGB (not exactly a high standard itself) and is apparently the only Apple device to fail to do so! Maybe most people won't notice it today or even tomorrow but someday they might and it would be nice to know that Apple had the consumers back when that moment arrived. For me it happened the moment I got it home.

It was irritating to have both an iPad Air and ret Mini which just reminded me of the inferiority of the ret mini display. Equally irritating is that Apple fails to disclose this to potential buyers. At least it is easy to return to Apple which is exactly what I did.

I can only hope that the new version will correct this. But unless consumers complain, Apple will have no incentive to change it.

23. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I had both and agree 100%, my thread on the subject was closed as the Rmini owners were up in arms. I bought mine online $80 less than Apple sell, so couldn't return and i sold it on ebay for what i paid less costs. Took 2 weeks to sell.

The Rmini is not worth the $$ IMO. I would get the new Samsung 8.4 S if buying now. Cheaper too.

24. cababah macrumors 68000

The main complaint for the original mini was low resolution; not color gamut. Apple addressed that with the rMini which now has a very high res display but same gamut as before. It's not like Apple intentionally screwed people over since the mini isn't the flagship tablet like the Air is.

The Air has the better display. Nobody can argue that but $100 should get you a bigger and better display.

25. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The air and the mini are both flagship devices. The whole point of giving the mini the same specs as the air was so that the only distinguishing factor was screen size.