Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ipadluvr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Hey guys I know no one wants to hear this but my iPad and 2 others (bought from 3 different states) seem to have the yellow screen defect. Cool blue towards the left and yellowish toward the right. Anyone else have this? It's very apparent esp on a white background.....

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Hmm, that would be odd. I wouldn't have thought LED screens would have this problem. It would be one thing if it was just a color temp issue, but going from blue to yellow across the screen seems surprising.

saireea

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Pittsburgh
The ipad is back lit and not edge lit so you should really see no color differences whatsoever. It is common though on side lit led devices that you would notice more blue, simply because led lights give off a blue hue.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
I notice a yellowish tint, but honestly, I think the color works fine for reading, on my mbp I've color corrected it with a slightly warmer yellowish color to be easier on my eyes. The default blue tint is actually a bit to harsh on my eyes. I like the color warmth on the iPad.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Dont notice a thing and I shoot photos and videos for a living. I can spot poorly calibrated monitors and screens a mile away. Looks fine to me, maybe a tad on the cool (blue) side, but very minor.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Why even begin to take notice of such tripe? He's just an Apple hater, probably jealous of the kids at school with an iPad, trying to spread dissatisfaction. He'll be showing his pals all the responses here when he gets back to classes, to show how he was clever enough to get a few iPad users nervous about their screens.

Ipadluvr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
I have a Mac Pro, 2 MBpros, iPhone, iPad, airport..... Basically every single apple product you can buy.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
turn up the brightness.

my display is great, and I am very picky about display calibration. love the ipad display.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Now that you mention this I looked at my screen and the white bg of the forum has a yellow tint on the top left whereas it gets to a more white on the bottom right.

Also have the light leaking issue. Wasn't a big deal but looks like a did get a messed up display. Gonna go get another tomorrow.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
And here we go again! How many times do I have to say it: there's no such thing as a completely uniform display?

And I have had two ipads in my possession, and both had very different color temperatures.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You know what, I think I see it.

I wonder if it is just an uneven backlight. But really, it is there. I will try to capture on bits tomorrow.

WilliamG: i have had a lot of displays. My current three are basically perfect. 30" ACD and two Dell 2007fp's. If they had this issues, they would have gone back a long time ago.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
You know what, I think I see it.

I wonder if it is just an uneven backlight. But really, it is there. I will try to capture on bits tomorrow.

WilliamG: i have had a lot of displays. My current three are basically perfect. 30" ACD and two Dell 2007fp's. If they had this issues, they would have gone back a long time ago.

Yes yes I understand, but I have had many, many displays in my lifetime, and PLENTY of them have had not completely uniform backlights/color casts.

Anyway, I forgot, here are my two iPads. See the difference? The left one is warmer than the other (which looks quite green by comparison), and neither has completely uniform backlight.

This is VERY typical.

Which do I prefer? Neither, really... Be aware these are crappy iPhone pictures, but you can see the color temperature difference easily..

photo-26.jpg

photo-3-1.jpg

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Yes yes I understand, but I have had many, many displays in my lifetime, and PLENTY of them have had not completely uniform backlights/color casts.

Anyway, I forgot, here are my two iPads. See the difference? The left one is warmer than the other (which looks quite green by comparison), and neither has completely uniform backlight.

This is VERY typical.

Which do I prefer? Neither, really... Be aware these are crappy iPhone pictures, but you can see the color temperature difference easily..

*Image snip

You are welcome to settle. But keep it to yourself.

Mine works great

Great, too bad we aren't talking how it works.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
If you took the time to read, you would have noticed that the OP was talking about a color issues on a single display. Your photos a comparison of the color temperature between two iPads is absolutely irrelevant.

What was that useful information again?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
If you took the time to read, you would have noticed that the OP was talking about a color issues on a single display. Your photos a comparison of the color temperature between two iPads is absolutely irrelevant.

What was that useful information again?

You can clearly see from my images a NON-uniform display, which the OP describes.

Let's see what you contributed: "My displays are great."

Let me spell that out for you again: :rolleyes:

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You can clearly see from my images a NON-uniform display, which the OP describes.

Let's see what you contributed: "My displays are great."

Let me spell that out for you again: :rolleyes:

Maybe you really can't read. I stated that there are uniform displays.

Meaning, people do not have to settle for uneven displays. Let's see how many people drop in here and say their iPad is perfect, will you still claim that those with uneven display should just take it because WilliamG says there are no even displays?

Get over yourself, you are just another apologist.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I thought most Apple products have an issue with yellow tint? I've owned an iBook and a Macbook and both have an issue with yellow tinted screens. OSX gives you the option of recalibrating the screens color though, which helped a lot. I was able to adjust it so that it has a slight bluish tint to it. Does the iPad not have the option to recalibrate the colors?

yayitsezekiel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Irvine, CA
I thought most Apple products have an issue with yellow tint? I've owned an iBook and a Macbook and both have an issue with yellow tinted screens. OSX gives you the option of recalibrating the screens color though, which helped a lot. I was able to adjust it so that it has a slight bluish tint to it. Does the iPad not have the option to recalibrate the colors?

Not to my knowledge - perhaps when a jailbreak is released there will be a way to calibrate the screen

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My 3GS has really bad yellow tint that suddenly gradients in at the bottom half inch or so of the device. It looks pretty crappy, but I've mostly learned to ignore it.

On my iPad, I didn't look that close, but after reading this thread I see it faintly. It seems to not be as pronounced on the widest end of the discoloration, and the gradient ramp is a lot smoother across the screen, so it isn't as noticeable. I can barely tell its there, and I have a trained photographic eye that can usually tell if something is color balanced to within a point or less when it comes to darkroom stuff. I'd say my device changes a point to point and a half across the entire screen in portrait, which most people won't see and is within most photographer's error range when balancing.

If it was a hard change and not a gradual one I would be more upset, like how it looks on my 3GS. That is actually one of my reasons for upgrading the 3GS this summer--that yellow smear has been pissing me off for what--almost 10 months now? The extra features are a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Hell, even my professional 26" H-IPS WUXGA display with a polarizer has a small amount of shift across its surface, especially center to edges. That's not even from viewing angle, just the panel itself. It isn't a huge difference, but gradual like the iPad, though maybe a touch less extreme, but its hard to tell over the surface of something that is 26" vs 10". Point being that most all displays have some form of this problem. That is why display calibration hardware always says to hang the device in the center of the display, to get the most accurate color reading because the calibration can only be provided uniformly across the device using color profiles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.