iPad EU News (Abandon all hope, ye who enter here..) ("Are you nuts?!" - Steve)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yixian, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yixian macrumors 65816

There's iPad news and leaks coming out left right and centre now the US release is nearing but there has still been basically zero news about the UK/European release despite our launch now roughly as far off as the US launch was when pre-orders began.

Has anyone heard any whisperings or anything?

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Nope. I guess the Big A are focusing on the US launch and will concentrate on other markets once that's out the way. :mad:

3. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

They need to learn to delegate, how many staff do Apple employ in the EU..

4. Ashmanspice macrumors regular

It's pretty frustrating, no indication of pricing etc. I'm gonna be so jealous of our friends across the pond waking up throughout april and reading the news from their ipad (or whatever they will do with it!)

5. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Launch at end of April, no price confirmed yet, though many of us expect the starting price to be in the region of £379-399. Considering the VAT rate and the usual UK 'Apple tax', that is not a bad price.

EDIT: Not a bad price as it is not much more expensive than in the US. Otherwise, I think the iPad has a lot of potential to have the price reduced or to include a lot more features next time around.

6. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

I really think £350 is the price to aim for but we'll see.

I'd be happy with a god damn release date and pre-orders..

Let's face it, it's effectively April and "late" supposedly refers to some time in the 4th week of the month, so we're looking at just over ~21 days until EU launch and it's unusual not even to have a price at that point..

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Just noticed that the UK iPad page is showing the Guardian's website instead of the NYT...

[​IMG]

Nice to see Uncle Rupert isn't in complete control... yet.

8. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Yeah, the pics changed on March 5th when the iPad pre-orders opened for the US and they updated all the iPad pages worldwide. A nice bit of localisation, I thought.

9. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

£350 wont happen, at that price apple would be selling the iPad for less here than in the States when you take VAT into account. I agree it would be nice, it would be nice if it was free, but that doesn't mean it is going to happen.

10. Stoney79 macrumors member

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something next week with pre-orders starting Monday 5th just as all the hysteria kicks off stateside. That's my guess.

11. LaNex macrumors 6502

I hope you're right. I am totally jarred of with the lack of love coming from Apple to the UK right now. That it should bother me that much is both amusing and bizarre (only Apple can do this to me, usually I couldn't give a fig), but I'm getting really downhearted with the lack of news.

12. ABG macrumors 6502

I was interested a month ago. But not now. I don't find the price "unbelievable". I find the fact they have it in the UK store with no price, no pre-order and no ability to buy "unbelievable".

13. trevreyno macrumors member

I think Apple are going to wait to see how sales go in the US before annoucing a firm date for the UK.Seeing that some US preorders are now being pushed back to April 12th doesn't make me feel very confident of the "late April" availability for the UK.Lets just hope that if the ipad is a sellout in the US that the extra stock does not get diverted to there with the rest of us getting pushed into May/June.

14. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

God, if it gets delayed beyond April... sigh..

15. rogerram macrumors regular

iPad Envy

I'm really suffering from iPad envy & thinking should I get one from eBay at an inflated price! However I want the 3G that will be here anyway at the end of April-or will it??? If I'd won the Eurolottery I'd nip over to New York & get one anyway-no such luck!
    The whole shebang is just so frustrating with no price, no pre-order date, no shipping-just no information & I wonder what Apple is playing at-certainly not doing much for UK or the rest of the world customer relations-it's so annoying-come on Apple give us the info.
    Good to have a good moan though...

16. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

A scratch card might be enough, you don't need £40m. The last time I've been to the US, I paid £265 for a return ticket from LHR to JFK. Add some cheap hostel prices to that if you really want to make it cheap; buy a pair of Timberland boat shoes, a pair of designer jeans and some mainstream clothing items that would be outrageously overpriced in the UK (Abercrombie and Ralph Lauren come to mind); and you almost traveled free. Add an iPad to that and you are still within £1200, but you have some decent stuff.

When I'm in the US, I buy American Eagle, Gant, Timberland and RL like a lunatic. But with electronics, keep the proper and duty/VAT-paying route. They can take undeclared items away and they can charge you. It's not worth it.

But as I said, I don't think that Apple will price the iPad so that it will make sense to make an effort to buy it in the US. You will have to have it badly to make the journey.

17. jonnyb macrumors 65816

In these desperate UK-news starved times, we need to hang on to every and any little thing. Thereore, I'm taking as a sign of imminent preordering the fact that the UK Apple store main page now no longer has the 'Learn More' link and pic to the iPad. It has been replaced by a spot about calling customer service about general store questions:

http://store.apple.com/uk

My hopelessly optimistic mind says that this is because in the next few days the iPad spot will no longer be needed as the iPad will take its place along the top row of things you can actually order.

Why delete the only mention of the iPad from the main store shop window unless you were about to put it back in a different place?

Well, it's possible...isn't it?

18. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen! :)

19. Bentron macrumors 6502

You're right! My only guess is they are receiving calls from confused customers who click on the link to buy it but can't.

20. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Hmm..perhaps but I wouldn't want to deflect those interested potential iPad customers I'd be embracing them or at least continue to redirect them to the iPad information pages.

I perfer to think they're re-arranging the shop window for an imminent new arrival in the prime selling position!

(Please Apple. Pleeease)

21. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

I can't wait to get a preorder in as soon as they let us do it. But I also can't help feeling a bit smug that the Americans will be basically Beta testing it for us. A week from today this place will be full of threads complaining about this and that to pick through and see if there are any reasons to wait at all.

22. kultschar macrumors 6502a

I have also had enough so bit the bullet and purchased one off ebay after 2 days of stalking for a good price.

I managed to get a 16GB for around £430 delivered (I believe UK price will be 399 quid). I live out in the Falklands therefore I would have to pay around 30 quid for delivery even if I bought from UK (no custom/import charges here).

Baffled about lack of pricing info from Apple however maybe they are trying to discourage people buying from US if they reveal the price i.e. could be higher then the touted 399 mark

23. Balloonless macrumors member

Expect the prices to be £499, £599 and £699 for the wifi models.

and £599, £699 and £799 for 3G models

24. Bentron macrumors 6502

Hopefully :)

I just checked the German and French sites and their link is still there, so I don't know why ours has disappeared... :confused:

25. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Anything is possible with UK Apple prices, would be a bit of a kick in the nuts though if prices are indeed that (I reckon 399, 499, 599 but wouldnt suprise me if your right)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.