iPad for car navigation – perfect setup / selfmade mount

Discussion in 'iPad' started by icanboogie, Jan 28, 2011.

1. icanboogie, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

Hi,

after ages of looking for a nice solution to put an iPad in my car without too much of a hassle and weird-looking monster-mounts, I finally found something that works perfectly for me. Maybe it's an inspiration for others, too: I guess I am not the only one with this problem.

My problem was, I have a really nice sturdy snap-on-hardshell on my iPad, which makes it difficult to put it in most readymade mounts, like the swedish company BRODIT has:
    http://www.brodit.com

but they do have little basic mounts, specially designed for all kinds of cars. Normally, they just serve as blank plates for combining with all kinds of device-related special mounts. But I found out that they also go perfectly well with: Yes, velcro!
    And so does my hardcase! Putting the soft side of the velcro on the iPad does not bother the "feel" at all, it even adds some special furry feeling to it.

And with this, the installation of the iPad, inside its hardcase, in my car, works like a charm – without any big & ugly mount taking up too much space. And it's dirth cheap, too!

Below are some pics of my setup. you can find some more on http://www.ipilot.de

[​IMG]

the brodit-clip with the velcro on it. without the ipad, it still looks kinda subtle. (its not cheap at about 20 Euros, but is worth it. maybe there are other clips that work nicely as well.)

[​IMG]

the soft velcro on the back of the ipads hardcase (which a very good choice! I never take it off) goes well with the hard velcro on the plate. easy to apply, easy to take off, yet very sturdy and no danger of falling off from harsh breaking or else.

[​IMG]

that's how it looks. (The app I use is called "copilot hd", it is quite ok. I don't think there are any other apps specifically designed for the ipad out right now. Oh, and I like the 2D view, the program has 3D as well, of course)

Its pretty great to check emails while stopping at a red light (I would not recommend to do this while driving, seriously :eek:), finding places, playing music playlists through the cars audio-system (connection with cheap cassette adapter works pretty well!) or simply enjoying any other iPad-functionality while on the go.
    :D

2. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

TomTom and an iPod Nano ? What's cool is that you're on the other side of the world from me, so I don't have to worry about another distracted driver.

3. elan123 macrumors 6502

That is freakin siick. Verra niiice!

4. icanboogie thread starter macrumors regular

icanboogie

Oh, and as Mr. Willie points out:
    The distraction while driving, resulting from the iPad and Navigation App, methinks is far less than, e.g. a combination of a TomTom and another tiny-and-difficult-to-read-and-use-device, like an ipod nano or so....:)

And since brightness can be adjusted in 4.2 without jailbreaking, and since the app has a dark night mode, it also is quite ok to use in the nighttime...

5. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

I rather like it. Looks nice and clean.

How does the weight of the iPad hold up against the velcro?

6. icanboogie, Jan 28, 2011

icanboogie thread starter macrumors regular

icanboogie

The weight was a concern for me, too. But it turns out that it holds perfectly fine, even after many, many times of putting on and off.
    (And also in portrait mode, if you like to. BTW: who on earth uses portrait mode on iPad? I literally never do) Even if the velcro might wear out in a couple of months or so: A new pair of stripes will cost about 2 Euros or so.

That's the beauty of it: it is a really tiny, cheap, and yet very sturdy and usable solution.

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Nice solution, for those who don't live in a desert.. it would never fly here.

8. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

The 'easy to remove' Velcro idea, I dont like it.

Brake a bit hard, the iPad slams forward, impaling itself on the gearstick?

:eek:

9. icanboogie thread starter macrumors regular

icanboogie

That's just fine.
    It's easy to remove if you do it manually, 'peeling' the ipad from its mount.
    Breaking, steering etc. does not affect the adhesiveness of the velcro. I tried it out. Solid as a rock.

Besides, If I would ever have to step in the break so hard that even THIS junction would crack, I think I will have other worries than a possibly broken iPad...

10. kamalds macrumors regular

11. icanboogie thread starter macrumors regular

icanboogie

Aircon works fine even with the iPad in the way of the middle outlet (which I close when iPad attached) The other outlets to the left, right, the upper window and the air from below seems more than suffice.

12. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I would never trust velcro to hold my iPad. Also, you are completely blocking your vents. In the winter, I would be afraid of overheating my iPad with the hot air blowing on it.

I chose a Ram-Mount for my in-car iPad solution. My original thread can be viewed here.

Here is a photo of my iPad in my car. BTW, I use MotionX GPS Drive HD as my GPS. It is iPad specific and for only $24/year you get voice directions. It has 2D and 3D modes. Varies based upon daytime and nighttime driving. I really like it.

[​IMG]

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The iPad would have to go backward, not forward, to find its way to the gearstick. ;)

14. icanboogie, Jan 28, 2011

icanboogie thread starter macrumors regular

icanboogie

Thanks everybody for your feedback!

I feel a bit like the guys who say: "hey, baking soda is the only medicine/detergent/chemical you will ever need"...
    but still, this velcro thing really has more grip than one might think, and makes what it should, quite nicely.

1. I did not apply it punctually, but on a larger area with double stripes. therefore, it does hold well. I wouldnt use it if it didn't.

2. I close the aircon outlet behind the ipad, so there is no overheating/-cooling problem. The other outlets are way enough for a perfectly working aircon.

3. I have nothing against the available mounts with flexible tubes etc., but mostly they look ugly and also, my main point, they do not hold the iPad WITH the hardcase on. I do not want to strip this from the device everytime I get in the car.

4. I am aware that this setup is not an engineer's dream of ultimate craftsmanship, but it works amazingly well - and it is the best looking solution I have come across, hands down.

5. Cables for audio and Power can easily be plugged in, too.

6. The place for it is just perfect. Higher would hinder my view, below or to the side (like the posted swan-neck thing from Hammie) would distract me way too much: looking at it while driving would mean to turn my head quite far - i dont like that

7. It is inexpensive. And I am happy about it everytime I get in the car – thats why I wanted to share it with you guys! :)

15. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

You guys obviously don't appreciate how strong the velcro bond is!
    Sometimes you see a fairground attraction where you wear a velco suit then run & jump at a velcro wall. Great fun!! :D

16. LarzStarz macrumors member

I wonder what the iPad thought when it's audio out was plugged into a cassette car stereo from 1988. :p

17. icanboogie thread starter macrumors regular

icanboogie

"ouch!"?

:D

18. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Actually, 1991. ;)