Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
UPDATED for the iPad mini 3 and iPad mini 2.

Since the retina mini is slightly thicker than the old mini, I put together a roundup of cases that are specifically marketed as being for the iPad mini with Retina display. Some older cases might work if they aren't very form-fitting. These cases should work without any problems since they're advertised as such.

----------

Apple's Smart Cases and Covers
YTIpyce.png

-----

Poetic Slimline Case for Apple iPad Mini 2 with Retina Display (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic), various colours - $5

71pApA%2B2aJL._SL1500_.jpg

51oz8eGU7KL._SL1500_.jpg

-----

i-Blason 2nd Generation i-Folio Slim Hard Shell Stand Case Cover for Apple iPad mini with Retina Display Case, various colours - $10

81vdal0krJL._SL1200_.jpg

81awRjMSkRL._SL1200_.jpg

810TE6tOGVL._SL1500_.jpg

-----

i-BLASON Apple New iPad Mini with Retina Display Case (2nd Generation) Auto Wake / Sleep Smart Cover Leather Case (Elastic Hand Strap, Multi-Angle, Card Holder) With Bonus Stylus 3 Year Warranty, various colours - $15

71qHvarorNL._SL1200_.jpg

-----

MoKo Apple iPad Mini with Retina Display Case - Ultra Slim Smart shell, various colours - $10

715HbxHSlGL._SL1200_.jpg

-----

Photive SlimPad iPad Mini 2nd generation Smart Cover Case - Ultra Slim Smart Cover Case for The New iPad Mini, various colours - $10

516o2jmLSUL._SL1200_.jpg

71lZquO7W1L._SL1200_.jpg

-----

KAVAJ leather case cover "Berlin" for the new Apple iPad mini, 2 colours - $45

71NLRkagxJL._SL1500_.jpg

71eN%2BNndAOL._SL1500_.jpg

-----

[Non-Slip] SPIGEN [Tough Armor] iPad Mini Retina Case, various colours - $25

61QahVj4QwL._SL1000_.jpg

61wLQ-xRu2L._SL1000_.jpg

-----

Snugg iPad Mini 2 Retina Leather Case, various colours - $25

71CPrD1u2bL._SL1200_.jpg

-----

Acase iPad Mini 2 with Retina Display Case / Cover, various colours - $16

71UAWxeUhnL._SL1200_.jpg

-----

*screen protector* Tech Armor iPad Mini with Retina Display and iPad mini Screen Protector, anti glare, "HD," or privacy - $8

813LyjkaX4L._SL1500_.jpg

811hOTXFyyL._SL1500_.jpg

81NOG33H-fL._SL1500_.jpg

-----

MoKo Slim-Fit Case for iPad Mini 2 with Retina Display, various colours - $10

810JehCNxjL._SL1200_.jpg

81zzr-70eJL._SL1200_.jpg

-----

CaseCrown Ace Flip Case for Apple iPad Mini with Retina display, various colours - $15

81zumHsd%2B1L._SL1500_.jpg

-----

SupCase Slim Fit Folio Leather Case Cover, various colours - $14

91qG6zb2VmL._SL1500_.jpg

-----

AmazonBasics Clear Back Cover - Compatible with the iPad mini Smart Cover, various colours - $9

61%2BwetOubWL._SL1500_.jpg

-----

Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Series Case, various colours - $42

51tuICHC00L.jpg

-----

Twelve South BookBook for iPad mini - Vintage leather case for iPad mini, various colours - $67

61P64v--bLL._SL1000_.jpg

61hAR1%2Bow5L._SL1000_.jpg

-----

Speck Products FitFolio, various colours & designs - $27

41LGbcTS8UL.jpg

81%2B3n8XIaWL._SL1500_.jpg

-----

Kensington KeyFolio Pro 2 Bluetooth Keyboard & Stand - $49

41jIdAgEkZL._SX425_.jpg

51AjJFIuTjL._SX425_.jpg

-----

Targus Versavu, various colours - $31

71J3XA8XXyL._SL1500_.jpg

-----

Belkin Dot Cover with Stand, various colours - $36

81bdMgoSyGL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
This case is identical to the Poetic Slimline:

http://amzn.com/B00G9YMBSA

I am pretty certain that they are made by the same manufacturer and just have different brand names stamped on the cover.

It costs 1 cent plus $4.99 shipping (the black one anyway) which for me was half the price of the Poetic. Also the pictures of the Poetic are more accurate as the speakers are not covered at all. I am comparing this to the Poetic because the material and functionality is identical to the Poetic case I have for my Nexus which is why I am assuming they are really the same case.

Shipping was very quick. I ordered 11/13 and received my package in Florida on 11/16 even though I was not expecting it until 11/22

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Nearly all of these are not compatible with the mini retina bc there is no cutout on the back for the second microphone hole.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Nearly all of these are not compatible with the mini retina bc there is no cutout on the back for the second microphone hole.

Interesting... I didn't notice that. Time to send some emails to the sellers.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
iPad mini with Retain display - Case roundup

This is what is frustrating me with a lot of these case manufacturers. They are all just slapping the "compatible with new iPad mini retina" without realizing why they aren't. The extra thickness does make a difference. Some fit, but not properly. And the mic hole is an obvious shortcoming.

The Poetic seems like the only game in town right now other than the wildly priced Apple cases. I'm holding out for some real options.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
Interesting... I didn't notice that. Time to send some emails to the sellers.

Yeah good point.

Are the slits at the top and back (near the top) the mic holes? Which one is new?

I ordered a loop mummy case since they said it fits the retina but I doubt it would have a slit for the new mic hole.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
This is what is frustrating me with a lot of these case manufacturers. They are all just slapping the "compatible with new iPad mini retina" without realizing why they aren't. The extra thickness does make a difference. Some fit, but not properly. And the mic hole is an obvious shortcoming.

The Poetic seems like the only game in town right now other than the wildly priced Apple cases. I'm holding out for some real options.

Fintie also has a few cases with the cutout for the mic.

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Fwiw I got a Skinomi rear protector skin for my miniR today and it has the second mic hole. Fits great. Not a full case though, obviously.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
You know that the difference is 0.2mm or 0.00787402" in hight hence all cases still fit and that the new retina iPad has a second microphone which means they actually don't, right?

According to apples specs the difference is 0.3mm.

I sent an email to Incipio asking if they are doing an ultra slim snap on feather case specifically for the retina mini and they said it is due out in 2-4 weeks time. I have always used Incipio cases on my iPhones and they are always an excellent fit and quality.

meihcydna

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2009
anyone ever tempted to just cut off the lid on the smart case? i love the back casing but prefer to not have lids on my ipads.

makavelli

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
The Kavaj Case Does Not Fit the iPad Mini with Retina

I purchased the Kavaj iPad mini retina case and there is an issue with the power button staying depressed while in the case. My mini would randomly attempt to power off and get stuck at rebooting. :mad:

The Photive case also does not fit the iPad mini with retina

freechef

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010

I received the poetic a few days ago and I confirm it does have the second mic cutout.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
No all mini case will fit the Mini 21

Found this out trying a hard case that said "Mini/Mini 2".

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
I currently can't decide between a bestskinsever (back) or a back cover, any suggestions? I have a read smart cover at the moment.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
I'm REALLY undecided for a case for my mini 2. It's mainly gonna be used by my crazy 1 1/2 your old kid so I'm looking for a durable, yet sleek case with a multi angle kickstand & a nice screen protector. The Spigen cases look perfect but no kickstand. Leaning toward the Poetic Slimline. Can anyone tell me how thick/hard & durable the actual case is ? I'll prob get it being that the screen is also completely covered. My kid is really starting to like his mini hockey sticks. Lol

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX
I'm REALLY undecided for a case for my mini 2. It's mainly gonna be used by my crazy 1 1/2 your old kid so I'm looking for a durable, yet sleek case with a multi angle kickstand & a nice screen protector. The Spigen cases look perfect but no kickstand. Leaning toward the Poetic Slimline. Can anyone tell me how thick/hard & durable the actual case is ? I'll prob get it being that the screen is also completely covered. My kid is really starting to like his mini hockey sticks. Lol

Had a ZooGue on my iPad 4 and absolutely loved it. Too bad its sold out for the Mini:

http://www.zoogue.com/ipad-mini-case-prodigy/

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I got the apple leather case, even though it's much more expensive than it should be and i feel stupid spending that much... happens to be a really nice case. Mine fits so perfectly i'm amazed by it. It's even and accurately cut to the nanometer it seems. BUT i've read posts here from others that indicate i may have gotten lucky.

I wish apple made a case without the front cover though. It's really the back I want protected, I like to keep the front open on my stand so i can view the notices as they come in.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Anybody here anything about Moshi's VersaCover ?

It doesn't fit: one corner won't go in. Many hard cases have similar issues (Speck SmartShell, Joy Factory SmartSuit mini, Switcheasy CoverBuddy). Even the Tech21 Impact Mesh will have issues, as it fits tighter than many TPU cases.

Funny enough, the Ampjacket for iPad Mini by Kubxlab fits fine, though. Just no hole for the second mic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.