ipad mini 2

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by m0nkeyb0y, Jul 5, 2017.

1. m0nkeyb0y macrumors member

m0nkeyb0y

Installed beta 2 on my 32Gb mini, and boy is it slow! I like the new dock, but unless there are some serious improvements in performance, I'll be permanently downgrading to ios 10.

2. Dave-Z macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's pretty slow on my iPad Mini 2, too. But I think performance will improve closer to the final release. Apple no doubt has very verbose logging for debugging purposes and they'll be optimizing the code as they go. I wouldn't make and final decisions until it's done.

I'm keeping it on my Mini but that's also not a primary device, so...

3. twdawson macrumors regular

twdawson

I tried it this afternoon on my 16 gig mini 2 and it was horrible so I am looking in to blocking g the update when it comes out.
    I have restored back to iOS 10 and it's useable again.

4. adbe macrumors 6502a

It comes and goes on my Mini2. I'll have days where it's usable, albeit notably slower than 10 (this is a beta, so I expect that), and days where it's infuriatingly bad. I'm holding out till beta 3, before I bail and roll back to iOS 10.

5. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Is it very slow for everything? I mostly use it, now, for reading books. Hope it runs OK - pain not to update at some point since it keeps asking you

6. adbe macrumors 6502a

It's currently pretty bad for web pages. I haven't tried iBooks yet. I wouldn't stress too much just yet though as we're still firmly in beta territory here. The GM will be faster.

7. Dave-Z macrumors 6502

Agreed. Web page loading is frustratingly slow. Probably a bit is related to the fact that content blockers aren't working right. I use my Mini 2 on iOS 11PB1 when I can, but if I need to get some browsing done quickly I grab my Air 2. To put it in perspective: just reading these lengthy threads on MacRumors is fine. But if I had to browse to NewEgg or Amazon to look up some products.. No thanks.

I've been reading (Apple-purchased ePub books) in iBooks on it without issue. Runs fine. Works well. No issues I can see.

8. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

The Mini 2? Yes. /s

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but didn't want to start a new one.

Already iOS 10 runs like a dehydrated dog. From what I'm reading, on iOS 11 it runs like a dehydrated dog with a broken leg. Does that sum it up?

10. adbe macrumors 6502a

The mini 2 is fine under iOS10. IOS11 is night and day. I think I’m going to roll back, and revisit when the GM drops.

11. Dave-Z macrumors 6502

Safari feels faster in public beta 2, but that might be because content blockers are working again.

Lots of bugs fixes from public beta 1 to 2, but I find that overall it runs a bit worse now (today I was stuck in Mail, for example, and couldn't get out as buttons and gestures did nothing even though the Mail app itself was fully working).

12. adbe macrumors 6502a

Well 7 is no better. I'm thinking 10 might be the practical end of the road for the mini 2. For casual use running iOS 11 will be fine, but I think I'll take the security risk and stick with 10. My mini 2 is my bag toss device anyway.