Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The upcoming iPad mini 4 will be the smallest the line-up has seen, equivalent to a miniaturized version of the iPad Air 2, according to a new design render video shared by uSwitch and Nowhereelse.fr's OnLeaks channel. The render gives the iPad mini 4 a thickness of 6.1mm, the same as the iPad Air 2, and less than the current 7.5mm thickness of the iPad mini 3.

ipad-mini-4-render-800x375.jpg

The design render video backs up a part of a previous rumor that claimed the next iPad mini would adopt the slimmer form factor of the current line-up of iPad Air models, alongside the Air's 8-megapixel rear-facing iSight camera and a fully laminated display with anti-reflective coating. Today's report gives no news on the iPad mini 4's internal upgrades, nor its camera or display changes, but Apple will undoubtedly aim to make the new generation of mini a bit more substantial than the simple addition of Touch ID that was introduced with last year's model.

Apple is expected to reveal the new line-up of iPads at the next major company keynote, rumored as of now to be taking place on September 9. Alongside the iPad mini and iPad Air, the company is likely to showcase the so-called "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" at the event, and possibly even finally reveal the next-generation Apple TV set-top box.

Article Link: iPad Mini 4 Again Rumored to Be Smaller Version of iPad Air 2 in New Design Renders

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
I wish they'd do what they did with the Mini 2 - have it as a smaller version of the current "big" iPad. I don't see the need for the spec difference.

The Air 2 is quite the machine though. Normally I would wait to buy whatever the latest is but I found a resale Air 2 for a good price and jumped on it for my wife. My Air 2 is fantastic .. 3 core CPU + 2GB RAM, I don't see what more APple is going to add to the next one to make it worth while paying full price.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
iPhone 6S Rumored to Be Smaller Version iPhone of iPhone 6S Plus.

But the big difference is that iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S+ are the same and latest generation where as the iPad 4 mini will be one generation behind for its internal features compared to the latest model of iPad Air (at the time of its release).

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
The Air 2 is quite the machine though. Normally I would wait to buy whatever the latest is but I found a resale Air 2 for a good price and jumped on it for my wife. My Air 2 is fantastic .. 3 core CPU + 2GB RAM, I don't see what more APple is going to add to the next one to make it worth while paying full price.

Depends on where you are coming from. I am skipping Air2 since my original Air is good enough for now. Im sure there will be bells and whistles on Air3 that will make it better than the 2, not to mention Air1.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

Maybe that's where the rumoured iPad Pro comes in (I wish Apple would announce it soon, i'm getting fed up with calling it rumoured haha). I have a iPad Air 2 and it's a brilliant tablet, the multitasking features in IOS 9 beta work really well on it. The only thing i think Apple can do to improve the iPad's is to make a bigger one i.e. the iPad Pro.

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
oh really i thought it was going to be a bigger iPad Air 2 with 4 GB of RAM called Mini

/s

That's not the point. The iPad Air 2 will be "last generation" by the time this is released. It's not like the 6/6+ where one is larger but basically the same specs.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
That's not the point. The iPad Air 2 will be "last generation" by the time this is released. It's not like the 6/6+ where one is larger but basically the same specs.
Basically the same specs if you ignore the camera.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
This is clearly what should have been released last year, instead of the somewhat insulting Mini3, with only TouchID as an update over the Mini2.

However, the evolution of the Mini has never fitted with expectation - the Mini2 was a huge jump from the first Mini release, and carried with it all the same spec as the Ipad Air released at the same time.. A7 chip, etc (although for nitpickers the screen carried a higher density/ppi than the Air, to fit in the same number of pixels in a smaller size screen, but a fractionally lower colour gamut.)
So perhaps they gave the Mini2 too much? And the Mini3 just sort of balanced it out.. holding back some features until this year.. et voila, the Mini4.

zahuh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2004
Why do all reports say iPhone's and iPad's coming Sep 9? I thought iPhone's were released in Sep, iPad's and others in Oct and Nov. If Apple updates everything, including the Apple TV Sep 9, what's left to announce? A new watch or new product? I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I picked up a rMini 2 to give a test run since I was always curious of the size. I really liked the compact size and weight. All these people who say the 6 Plus will replace it for everyone are crazy (but it will for some).

Ultimately, I found it too small and noticed some eye strain. Things like reading the Reading List slide out were very small. I would have lived with it had I used it in a different way than my ipad 3, but I wasn't playing games like I imagined (holding it with two hands and just using my thumbs), instead I was still holding it with my left hand and playing with my right.

Many sites are now like Macrumors where the layout dynamically changes but does not get larger in landscape. I just found it made more compromises than benefits for me, but others love it and I hope Apple does a great update.

I'm worried though, this is the year I will finally upgrade my iPad 3 and the only iPad Air 3 rumors are that there will be NO iPad Air 3. :(

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
thanks god -
so my kid they have big suprise coming this fall

mini 4 thinner like ipad air 2 small size 7.9, very fit for my kid age 5

with newest hd resolution

oh wow - amazing

Reactions: iPadCary

Ludatyk

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2012
Texas
Maybe that's where the rumoured iPad Pro comes in (I wish Apple would announce it soon, i'm getting fed up with calling it rumoured haha). I have a iPad Air 2 and it's a brilliant tablet, the multitasking features in IOS 9 beta work really well on it. The only thing i think Apple can do to improve the iPad's is to make a bigger one i.e. the iPad Pro.

I wonder whether that rumored iPad Pro is the rMB... We are all expecting a iPad in 12inch form. But plenty of reviews state that the rMB is pretty much a iPad. Granted, the rMB lacks a touch screen... But the general census is that it lacks performance.

The Air 2 is not underpowered... It's perfectly optimized for iOS 9, but its simply not a Mac. With the introduction of the rMB and as Apple try to improve on its shortcomings. What will become of the iPad? I mean... If I had to choose between a iPad or rMB, I'll choose the rMB. I think down the line the rMB will be the deciding future of the iPad.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I wish they'd do what they did with the Mini 2 - have it as a smaller version of the current "big" iPad. I don't see the need for the spec difference.

This has been the only thing hold us back from buying a new mini. With the new iOS features so process/graphics intensive it's a real mistake to buy any iOS without the latest/greatest processor.

Reactions: iPadCary
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.