Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Any chance Apple allows the ipad mini the option to activate a plan and act as a phone?

I currently carry around my phone 100% of the time and the ipad about 50%.
I always use the headphones/headset when talking on the phone.

It would be fantastic to have a single device like an ipad mini that can act as a phone.

Will we ever see it?

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
in a word?

Any chance Apple allows the ipad mini the option to activate a plan and act as a phone?

I currently carry around my phone 100% of the time and the ipad about 50%.
I always use the headphones/headset when talking on the phone.

It would be fantastic to have a single device like an ipad mini that can act as a phone.

Will we ever see it?

NO!:cool:

tiiim

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
I think the 3G data is closest we will get. But they wont turn it into a phone. The Galaxy note is the closest you will get. Maybe in several years down the line when the blur between phones and tablets gets closer you might see some hybrid solution but not this year. But I suspect at that point phone calls will follow you to whatever device your holding/using. :)

gpatrick15

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Atlanta, GA

Would it really be fantastic, though? I see fewer and fewer bluetooth headsets when I'm out and about, but if you so chose to use an iPad Mini as your main phone, what happens when you leave your bluetooth headset at home? Or if you lose it? Surely you won't be walking around town or your office with a giant iPad held to your ear.

tiiim

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
Would it really be fantastic, though? I see fewer and fewer bluetooth headsets when I'm out and about, but if you so chose to use an iPad Mini as your main phone, what happens when you leave your bluetooth headset at home? Or if you lose it? Surely you won't be walking around town or your office with a giant iPad held to your ear.

Ask Galaxy Note users :)

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008

It might not be for some- but I always have my iPhone when I leave home and I always have my headphones wrapped around it. I never forget.

To be fair- I make very few phone calls.
I just don't feel the need to be on the phone talking to someone every step I take. For an individual who uses the phone in the field to communicate to workers- no it would be a good solution.

It would be nice to have the choice.
Oh well

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Well, recent price leaks for the rumored iPad mini indicate that it will come in both wifi AND 3G configurations.

I am a big guy with big hands, and I could probably use a 7" iPad as a phone without looking too silly. I will have to wait to actually see it in the store, but the thought is intriguing. I already have an iPad 1 with UNLIMITED 3G service for $30 a month. Since I am grandfathered in as one of the original adopters of the unlimited service, I should be able to transfer it to the iPad mini....sooooo I could use VOIP apps to make free calls. I already use my iPad 1 to make free calls....but it is too big to carry around as a phone. A 7" iPad mini however might be right on the edge of acceptable size wise to use as a phone for a big guy like me.

Should be interesting. Looking forward to the unveil on Oct 23rd. :)

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

Will we ever see it?

You must be kidding!:p Apple will not even give us a SD slot, USB port, some freedom from iTunes and you want them to allow us to use the mini as a phone?:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.