iPad mini uses a virtual bezel … well, sort of

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yr Blues, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/23/ipad-mini-ignores-unintended-touches-near-bezel

"For iPad mini, we reduced the width of the bezels on two sides of the display. So although the screen is smaller, it’s even more prominent. Rethinking the screen meant we also had to rethink the software behind it. iPad mini intelligently recognizes whether your thumb is simply resting on the display or whether you’re intentionally interacting with it. It’s the kind of detail you’ll notice — by not noticing it."

2. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

Well, I was hoping that this was something they would come up with in the future to make the bezels even smaller -- I'm almost sorry to see that their doing it already. I wonder if the current side bezel width is determined by the current screen technology limitations, or what Apple considers to be the minimum desirable width? Hopefully the former, and we'll minis come out a bit smaller in the future for better pocketability.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

This is another reason for why the iPad 4 existence doesn't make sense. The iPad is in need of a redesign and smaller bezels will have to be part of that. So not only is the iPad 4 still a bit heavy, its also looking pretty outdated with the giant bezel so a new model with smaller bezels and the new manufacturing process s it could get the less reflected bonded glass, slick new tapered edges and black backing.

4. Zillio macrumors newbie

Lets wait and see how good this software solution to "not having enough bezel to grip the iPad" works. For example, will it make the edges of the screen unresponsive.

5. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

I guess they could do that too, but that would be mostly a cosmetic difference --- and it's not like Apple is hung up on looks, or thin edges or anything ... :p

6. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

As the virtual bezel is perfected on the mini, I'm sure it'll migrate to the 9.7" iPad … but then where do you put the home button and camera?

7. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Love it, the iPad 3 is the greatest thing since sliced bread (before iPad Mini) now for some reason the design is "stupid" and "heavy".

8. Powrie macrumors 6502

The iPad 5 will incorporate everything they learned from making the iPhone 5 and the Mini.

It will be redesigned into the new form factor that is lighter and thinner.

They had to make the 4th gen to update the internals so it would balance with the power of the retina display.

9. DoctorYuyi macrumors member

wat.

The same place they are at now. What makes you think they'll move? They didn't move on the mini. And why do you think the entire bezel is nonexistent? Only the side ones were reduced.

Your post fills me with so much wat.

10. Kendo macrumors 68000

I think he is wondering with this technology progressing, eventually all 4 sides will have virtual bezels to make the iPad that much smaller and lighter but have the same 9.7" screen. In which case I'd assume they would just make the top and bottom bezels slim enough to carry the camera and Home button, kinda like the size of the iPhone 5.

11. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

they'll hide it in the slim bezel

maybe make the home button the size of the icon instead of the circle

12. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Pocketable iPad = iPod Touch