Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
If the latest ipod touch has two there is no reason the mini should not have two. I love the back camera on my ipad 3 but the ipad is too big to be carrying around to take pix. I just got a google nexus 7 which is great and would be 100 percent perfect with a rear camera because it us so portable. I just hope apple doesnt release the ipad mini 1 with only one camera like they did with the ipad 2.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
If the latest ipod touch has two there is no reason the mini should not have two. I love the back camera on my ipad 3 but the ipad is too big to be carrying around to take pix. I just got a google nexus 7 which is great and would be 100 percent perfect with a rear camera because it us so portable. I just hope apple doesnt release the ipad mini 1 with only one camera like they did with the ipad 2.

iPad 2 has 2 cameras, front and back. Otherwise a nice opinion why not post it on your blog?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
[/B]

iPad 2 has 2 cameras, front and back. Otherwise a nice opinion why not post it on your blog?

Most of what gets posted here is opinion, and does not require a blog
MR is a community that shares opinions, ideas and rumors

OP, I'm still not sold on the need for an iPad Mini, but some rumors have it being a neutered version of the iPad without a retina display and other goodies

It will make for an interesting release to be sure if it comes

Also, your thread title seems to indicate the iPad Mini will definitively have 2 cameras, but your post makes it a wish of yours
That will be a little confusing for other posters
You might want to consider changing that to something more descriptive

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I think that there will only be a front facing camera, like the Nexus 7.

That wouldn't make sense because it would seem like a step backwards not only from the iPad, but also from the iPod Touch.

BTW. I know in communities like this people can be aggressively angry at anyone who uses the iPad as a camera, but is anyone watching the Olympics? I'm surprised by how many athletes are going around using the iPad as a camera. Also, at a recent trip to Disneyland then whenever a large crowd event occurred (fireworks, parade, character sighting) I'd see dozens of iPads pop up over people's heads. It may not be acceptable as "cool" to people on these forums but among the mainstream then it's definitely being accepted as camera. And a 7" version with front facing camera would only make it better (especially when you're shoulder to shoulder trying to watch a parade and the guy in front of you blocks your view with their iPad)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
That wouldn't make sense because it would seem like a step backwards not only from the iPad, but also from the iPod Touch.

BTW. I know in communities like this people can be aggressively angry at anyone who uses the iPad as a camera, but is anyone watching the Olympics? I'm surprised by how many athletes are going around using the iPad as a camera. Also, at a recent trip to Disneyland then whenever a large crowd event occurred (fireworks, parade, character sighting) I'd see dozens of iPads pop up over people's heads. It may not be acceptable as "cool" to people on these forums but among the mainstream then it's definitely being accepted as camera. And a 7" version with front facing camera would only make it better (especially when you're shoulder to shoulder trying to watch a parade and the guy in front of you blocks your view with their iPad)

yeah when i was at the grand canyon recently a lot of people were using them too. It was generally older people though. lol

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012

Agrees. I see nothing wrong with using a tablet to take pictures, if you can put up the picture quality on today's crop of tablets. Never understood why it wasnt "cool" to do so.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Agrees. I see nothing wrong with using a tablet to take pictures, if you can put up the picture quality on today's crop of tablets. Never understood why it wasnt "cool" to do so.

Of course there's nothing wrong with it, it's just goofy. Unless it's the only camera you have with you I just don't get it.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
As long as their is a front facing camera for facetime it's fine. I think the amount of people that would be truly upset their is no rear camera is minuscule at best. I've used the rear camera on my iPad once, just to see if it worked.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

The reason I think there won't be a rear facing camera is to keep down costs. I don't have any problem with people using an iPad to take pictures.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

I agree with you completely...and while these cameras DO cost money, it's literally a 'few' dollars. Not a significant amount in the grand scheme of the final production cost. (in reference to the Fruit Cake comment...not yours;))

I've also noticed the wide use of the iPad at the Oly's as cameras. I was actually surprised...as until now, the ONLY person I've seen use it really was my mom:) She's 60...and has spent her life taking pictures (I'm 41 with 3 younger brothers...and we have easily a couple hundred 'albums' that she's put together over the course of our lives)...up until 3 years ago, film only. Since we've purchased her a digital camera and an iMac, she's really gotten in to editing her pics, different album and book/calendar gifts, etc. The iPad shots she's taken (with the kinda crappy iPad 2 camera) have actually turned out quite nice! I was surprised...and this past weekend brought my iPad 3 with me to the Air show...more to dump memory cards after shooting with my DSLR. However...in a pinch, I shot a 4 or 5 minute HD video of one of the shows (F22 Raptor performance) and the final product came out amazing! It's not a half bad option...and it's a helluva view finder :)

J

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
They'll skip the rear camera on the first gen then add one on the next!

A lot of people I think use the front much more than the rear for facetime and stuff, the smaller tablet would be more of a media consumption/e-reader than anything else probably.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I agree with you completely...and while these cameras DO cost money, it's literally a 'few' dollars. Not a significant amount in the grand scheme of the final production cost. (in reference to the Fruit Cake comment...not yours;))

J

it does cost not much but in the case of the n7 this is what they did. Even the placeholder for a rear camera was there, only missing was the rear punch out and the camera module itself. Android are generally more generousl on hardware, so for them to skip it makes me wonder about apple intentions..

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Fruit Cake,

This, in my opinion, is the exact reason they'll do it. THE 7" option with cameras. Obviously, the FT cam will be there on the front as it's now ubiquitous across all devices---iMacs, iPods, MB and MBPs, iPads, iPhones...I'm confident the front cam WILL be there. BUT...the wild card, and the thing that may put the iPad offering over the top (of the competitors 7" offerings) IS that back/5 or 8 mpxl camera. I think I read somewhere on the iPhone or iPad builds that the camera was under $10 US. In my opinion, this will allow Apple to charge $299 for it, an extra 50 over the closest competition.

Again, just my humble opinion...but it's surprising how many photos are there on Flikr and other sites that give the 'brand' of camera used to capture...using the iPad. Those of us that frequent this site are certainly more gadget oriented and may choose not to use the iPad as a camera....but it IS being used, and in a 7" form factor it's less unwieldy than it's older 9.5" brother. Less heavy as well. I've owned each iPad and I can remember firmly believing that Apple would NEVER put a 'back' camera on the iPad (from the original to the transition to the iPad 2)...but the second generation model came out, albeit with a crappy camera and definitely surprised me:) I just don't think they'll leave it out...especially considering the market and competition. They'll likely be able to swallow that 32% profit margin vs. the 35% (without camera)...and again, dominate the 'space' for tablet computing.

All again, just my opinion. Although I'm not so sure I believe Apple is going to release a 7" model yet. Obviously the scuttlebutt is that it's happening or being tested...but as we've seen in the Samsung trial pics that have leaked--LOTS of products they've designed, produced and tested have yet to see the light of day...and this is only in the phone segment of their product population. Imagine how many iPad prototypes are in Jony's cellar?

J

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
i wish the front facing camera on my ipad was of better quality. It's so grainy when I take pictures with it. No problem with the back camera but... still.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
If apple is smart they'll add a camera on both sides, hell i woukd be ok with a cheap one or like the 3gs camera

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
There are so many apps that use the front camera AND the rear camera now. I don't think Apple can omit either at this point.

Document scanners. Check deposits to banks. Barcode scanners. Language text translators. Can they make a device that excludes so many kinds of apps by omitting a rear camera?

And Facetime alone is, I think, important enough to Apple to want that front camera.

I kind of think '2 cameras' is quickly approaching the level of 'volume buttons' in terms of how important a feature they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.