Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
One of the things that separated the larger iPad (plus keyboard combo) from a macbook air (especially the 11" version) was that the iPad excelled at media consumption but was generally limited in productivity.

With Office out as well as some other similar recent alternatives, could this change the market for the Macbook Air?

I don't have the macbook air, but I have found using say, google drive for documents and spread sheets to be frustrating at times on my ipad. times where I wish I had a mouse to point at something rather than touching. the lack of functionality, etc.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
One of the things that separated the larger iPad (plus keyboard combo) from a macbook air (especially the 11" version) was that the iPad excelled at media consumption but was generally limited in productivity.

With Office out as well as some other similar recent alternatives, could this change the market for the Macbook Air?

I don't have the macbook air, but I have found using say, google drive for documents and spread sheets to be frustrating at times on my ipad. times where I wish I had a mouse to point at something rather than touching. the lack of functionality, etc.

No way in hell for most of us.

Just read what you wrote above - in bold.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but I have found using say, google drive for documents and spread sheets to be frustrating at times on my ipad. times where I wish I had a mouse to point at something rather than touching. the lack of functionality, etc.

This is why iPads are not going to kill laptops. Creating and managing documents particularly large documents are not viable on the iPad. I'd much rather edit a large spreadsheet on my laptop then on the iPad.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
iPad + Office could kill MacBook Air?

"Kill"? Seriously?

The iPad:
- Can't run two apps on the same screen
- Can't reply to an email with an attachment
- Has no screen size larger than 10"
- Has no ability to use a mouse or trackpad
- Has no ability to interact with USB devices
- Has no real file system

I can see how some people who just surf facebook/youtube might try to make the iPad + BT keyboard their only computer, but for most of us the idea of the iPad ever replacing a laptop is ludicrous.

Last edited:

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
"Kill"? Seriously?

The iPad:

I can see how some people who just surf facebook/youtube might try to make the iPad + BT keyboard their only computer, but for most of us the idea of the iPad ever replacing a laptop is ludicrous.

This.

Nothing wrong with choice, if it replaces it for some - then good on them. For me, it won't. I don't want to be messing around with a 10" touch screen all day long.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
There's plenty of decent apps for productivity that are roughly as capable that don't require a subscription or 'software rental'. None of those have killed the MacBook Air. I doubt this will either. What you'll see is heavy adoption in enterprise where subscribers already exist or plan to sign on, but even assuming (quite unrealistically) these people decide to forgo a MacBook Air it's just too much of a niche to even make an impact in sales.

Ainkor

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
I think for 95% of people, it can now. There is a few paradigm shifts that need to be made though.

When I reply to an email with a changed file, I attach the file. The new way is to link to your favorite cloud app. It benefits me in that I don't have to pay for the bandwidth to send the file too.

I've spent 3 plus years modifying my work flow to support the ease of carrying just an iPad and I'm pretty darn impressed with the capabilities of the new iPad version of office.

Another shift I see is a simplification of documents. In the past I'd spend a long time adding functions to spreadsheets that seemed like a good idea. Over the years I've pared that back and been going with a more minimalist approach. This too is a good thing.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
There are plenty of apps that can do what MS Office apps do, at least for me and probably many if not most other people. The iWork's apps are just the beginning of the list. If these have not helped the iPad kill laptops, then MS Office won't either.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
There are plenty of apps that can do what MS Office apps do, at least for me and probably many if not most other people. The iWork's apps are just the beginning of the list. If these have not helped the iPad kill laptops, then MS Office won't either.
iWorks =/= MS Office

The difference is that MS Office for the iPad brings true compatibility to the table (at least in theory). For those who need that, it is a big step. If compatibility is poor or most don't need it, then you are correct.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I don't think it will kill the laptop, but for me due to work still being stuck in the tradition of using Office, my iPad and a small keyboard can most definitely get the job done when I need to write or edit (with track changes) a document or get started on the structure for a PowerPoint that can then be cleaned up whenever I get home to my laptop. The bluetooth keyboard supports basic shortcuts for formatting, which allows for comfortable writing. Editing, meanwhile, can definitely be done with an onscreen keyboard. And I don't mind the subscription given I pay a university rate of $80 over four years total, which is not much in my mind; within 4 years, I would have spent money on an upgraded Mac Office version anyway.

Kill, no...but certainly boost its productivity clout. And it's important to remember that productivity still doesn't mean Office for everyone; enterprise and the workplace seem to be loving their iPads. We use them in healthcare and absolutely love it for entering in patient information or getting our daily work done; custom EHR software was used for this purpose and the availability of Office doesn't contribute to this at all, but I am constantly productive on my device nonetheless. And it's format is perfect in a way a laptop never really was for wandering the hospital floors.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I think for 95% of people, it can now. There is a few paradigm shifts that need to be made though.

When I reply to an email with a changed file, I attach the file. The new way is to link to your favorite cloud app. It benefits me in that I don't have to pay for the bandwidth to send the file too.

I've spent 3 plus years modifying my work flow to support the ease of carrying just an iPad and I'm pretty darn impressed with the capabilities of the new iPad version of office.

Another shift I see is a simplification of documents. In the past I'd spend a long time adding functions to spreadsheets that seemed like a good idea. Over the years I've pared that back and been going with a more minimalist approach. This too is a good thing.

+1

For those who do things in a specific manner, an iPad wouldn't replace a laptop.

For those willing to look at their work flow and adapt to a lighter, more portable device, you really can accomplish most any task people do.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
"Kill"? Seriously?

The iPad:

This may help with one of the major complaints.

http://www.cultofmac.com/272038/multiple-attachments-app-lets-you-send-yes-you-guessed-it/

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
As has been pointed out, too many deficiencies to truly replace a imputed just yet.

I think many here would point to older folks as a good example of someone who could life with just an iPad. My mother is in her 70s. She would not be able to life without the variety of email attachment options. She creates cards, prints envelope addresses, has an extensive library of documents she refers back to regularly, she would have a cow with all the tab reloads on the air, etc...

She would not be able to get by with only an iPad. And I don't even consider her an extreme case.

Can it work for 90% of what you do? Sure. But that last 10% is tough.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
The reason I hate this MBA vs. iPad topic (that seems to come up once a month) is because it all depends on the person and their needs.

My parents do not have any serious need for a computer. They have an old netbook that sits collecting dust. My mom uses a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy phone. My dad is still happy with his old Blackberry.

My wife rarely uses our Mac or laptop at home. She gets by just fine with her iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

If I wasn't in school, I could probably also survive on just the iPad Air and iPhone 5. That being said, when I was at the hospital for week when my son was born, I did do my school work on my iPad using Safari and Pages.

As far as work goes, my employer provides a windows desktop. When I work from home I use a remote app from my Mac Mini. However, working from home is a choice. I can also access my work desktop using the same app on my iPad or iPhone, but that is not ideal.

On the other hand, you have people who have heavier needs for their work or other interests. Those people will likely always need at least a laptop, if not a full blown desktop like the Mac Pro.

I just don't understand why everyone feels the need to make these blanket statements based only on their personal needs.

/rant

Happy Friday :D

DancyMunchkin

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2014
You would think one ounce of common sense would result in the conclusion an iPad will not kill any laptop, regardless of the size or weight of the laptop, and threads like this would not be started.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
"Kill"? Seriously?

The iPad:

While I agree with you and others that an iPad is not a MacBook Air killer, much of what you said can (and possibly will soon enough) be rectified by Apple's next version of iOS or even a software upgrade in iOS 7 for some of the stuff you mentioned.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
While I agree with you and others that an iPad is not a MacBook Air killer, much of what you said can (and possibly will soon enough) be rectified by Apple's next version of iOS or even a software upgrade in iOS 7 for some of the stuff you mentioned.

When it does feel free to come back to the thread and let us know ;)

I sure won't be holding my breath...

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
It is very unlikely that Office on the iPad will kill the MacBook Air or any laptop for that matter. For one thing, the subscription model does not lend itself well to an iPad only use case. Office 365 only makes sense if you have multiple devices, including a laptop or desktop.

However, I could see more people going to the desktop + tablet combo rather than carry around a laptop. With multiple device cloud syncing and complete Office compatibility, many users might find Office on the iPad sufficient for their needs whilst away from their desktop. You can buy a Mac Mini plus iPad for about the price of a Macbook, and most people already have a monitor and external keyboard that they use with their laptop when docked. It is not necessarily the ideal setup for everyone, but Office on the iPad makes the desktop + iPad setup a little more attractive.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Can it work for 90% of what you do? Sure. But that last 10% is tough.

That last 10% isn't just tough! it's a deal killer! I'm on my iPad quite a bit more than the laptops but there are times when the laptop is the only solution or the only way I can do what I need to do. There are things you just can't scale back for iPad use or games you love and simply have to play them on a PC.

I've always argued that tablets were never created to replace laptops but rather to augment them as being one of the tools in the household computing tool chest.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think for 95% of people, it can now.

no way. What easy-peasy wrote above pretty much nails it. I'd just add that an inability to see two windows on the same screen, whether in the same app or different apps, is necessary for doing serious work. Having the screen dominated by a single window cripples productivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.