Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andygabriel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Hi MR,

i would like to have some advice from current ipad owners. i'm going on a 4 weeks vacation and i'm a in a dilema. Should i take the ipad or my macbook on the trip.

Basically all i'll need my computer during my trip will be for web browsing, skype, email, facebook(Upload some pics) and save my pics on the ipad and also show off pictures from back home to family and friends there (i.e i have to upload some pictures on my ipad before leaving). I'm also planning to bring an external hard drive to save pictures taken while i'm on holidays just in case i can't upload all of them on the ipad because of its limited harddrive space.

Should i take an ipad or macbook?

Have anyone traveled with their iPad for this long? If so, how was the experience.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Either Macbook or both.

I could survive a day with the 'pad, but ultimately need my 'pro to get me through, mainly ton update rss podcasts that aren't hosted on iTunes.

As for hard drive space and uploads, I would again suggest the MacBook. Although the 'pad is awesome in its own right it's more of causal experience and I'd hate to be using it as the portal to toss up files to the net...

Just my opinion though to each his own.

Also, 4 weeks is a long time, if you need to restore for whatever reason, I'd hate for anyone to be stuck in that kind of situation.

Let us know :)

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I have only taken a 10 day vacation with my iPad, but I can honestly say that my Macbook will probably never leave my home again. For your listed uses...in combo with your HD....you should be fine.

You didn't say how much free space you had. I have about 15 gig free on mine and shoot in .jpg so I would think would have room for plenty of photos. Even if I took 2000 photos at 4 mb each, I would still have tons of room to spare.

Be brave, ditch the Macbook and travel light. :D

Steve

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I am leaving today from Greece to return to Montreal...I took the iPad with me only...for one entire month...and it went very well.

Sync evereything you want on it before you go, then just take it along, nothing more, you can do it. :)

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
Basically all i'll need my computer during my trip will be for web browsing, skype...
Where are you travelling to? I recently returned from a tour across China and whilst almost all hotels offered free Wifi it was too slow/patchy to use Skype and I often ended up having to pay for high-speed wired Internet. If you don't take the Macbook you may need to invest in something like this

Sean :)

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Where are you travelling to? I recently returned from a tour across China and whilst almost all hotels offered free Wifi it was too slow/patchy to use Skype and I often ended up having to pay for high-speed wired Internet. If you don't take the Macbook you may need to invest in something like this

How is this better than an Airport Express?

Kenal0

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
Ipad all the way. You can do everything you mentioned in original OP with ipad and the portability combined with the battery life is a huge plus.

Kenal0

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I would say the laptop or both. If you are just going to be at your relatives house and not running around a lot then the weight isn't an issue. If you have both you are covered for any situation. You can use your laptop in the house and take the iPad for out and around.

I can get by with an iPad alone if need be but I certainly don't prefer it to my laptop. Some people seem really excited that they don't have to take their laptop out of the bag at security in the airport but how long does that actually take?

It also seems that people that say they manage to replace their laptop with the iPad have spent tons of money on apps to do so. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on apps not to mention all the accessories. It begins to become more expensive than a low end Macbook at that point.

For a trip of anything over a couple of days I would take my laptop. I sometimes do shorter trips into the city and stay a night or two to shop and in this case I might go with the iPad only.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Both, It's just better, If i would go on a trip and i had an iPad I'd put my MacBook Pro deep inside my bag and have the iPad for the trip, if i was at a hotel/destination, I'd take the iPad everywhere i could and leave my MacBook Pro at the hotel for syncing and more

damnyooneek

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2005
all you listed is fine with an ipad. with the exception of video chat on skype. i would bring an ipad. plus its a vacation. enjoy it. you won't need to spend much time on your computer.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I didn't say it was. I said the OP "may need to invest in something like this", which would include the Airport Express

Oh, ok. I was wondering if the product you were suggesting was doing something special. :)

I normally take an Airport Express with me when traveling. It is perfect for establishing a personal WiFi hotspot in a hotel.

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
Oh, ok. I was wondering if the product you were suggesting was doing something special
Oh sorry! One nice feature for travelling is that it can be powered via USB, so one less power adapter to lug about with you

cfs123

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
I am currently traveling with my iPad and MacBook. I am traveling for a month so I decided to take both. Although I rarely use my a macbook I am glad I brought it because I need to do little work related things while I am gone. Although these are not intense projects, they include needing a word processor. This is not an issue for the iPad but there is no app I have found to trust with my work load as of yet.

However, other than important work related production, I barely use my MacBook. I use my iPad for everything else, especially work related reading with PDF, etc.

On a side note, if you plan on taking lots of video, you should think about taking your laptop.

Hope this helps.

CFS123

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
I wished I could only go with iPad. However,

My company's remote access requires Java which is not able to run on an iPad:mad:

Another issue: no webcam means no video chat with my family:mad:

While MacBook Air is not heavy at all, the battery time is really miserable compared to iPad; and without 3G, I have to carry a Huawei WWAN modem (not a big deal, though). The built-in webcam also helps......

See my thread I posted yesterday on this exact subject. I used my iPad for 2 weeks recently on a business trip and vacation, and did not miss my laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.