iPad Owners: What is your opinion of the onscreen keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pruppert, Apr 3, 2010.

1. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

I've read some comments here that people are able to type faster on the iPad than on their laptops. Is this true?

Do you prefer typing in landscape or portrait?

Is two-handed typing in landscape really that feasible?

What are your other experiences/opinions of the onscreen keyboard?

2. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I haven't had enough time to play with it yet, but it seems pretty easy to more or less peck at with like 3 fingers.

3. phishindsn macrumors regular

I like it so far. I like the ability to hold and hit another key, I just never could get that to work right on the iPhone. Would I write my life's novel on it? probably not, then again my life's novel is about a page long, so maybe I would.

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I do not have one yet as I'm waiting for the 3G model, but I did play with one for about 30 minutes this morning and am pleased with the onboard keyboard.

I do a cross between touch typing and hunt and peck and it worked well on the iPad.

In all respects I was blown away by the unit and can't wait for mine to get here.

5. MegaDell macrumors member

You've gotta peck at it with your index fingers like someone who doesn't know how to type. It's too small to fit your actual hands like on a regular keyboard.

6. shujin macrumors member

I find the typing good. It is about the same as typing on a netbook in respect to size of the keyboard. I feel it's one of those things where youbwill get better the more you use it. I like typing on this better then my iPhone. I am still debating on whether to get the keyboard dock when it finally comes out.

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

So far I have found that I can type better than I expected in portrait mode with one hand while holding it by the bezel with the other. The same kind of works in landscape mode but in that case it's better to put the iPad down and type with two hands. Overall I'd say I'm happy with it.

8. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

So much easier than i thought! Landscape is just like a regular keyboard:)

9. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Yes, a LOT easier than I thought it was going to be!

10. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

If I sit up to a table, I can type like normal on it when it is flat. It is pretty much 1 finger unless i have it on my lap. Not mad at it. Typing a paper for school on it in a few. (As soon as I stop distracting myself playing with this thing.) :)

11. crobbins macrumors 6502

I've been impressed by how simple it is..I was expecting it to be harder!

12. MarkCap macrumors newbie

I like it. I can type with my thumbs in portrait mode, just like my iPhone, and I can type normally in landscape, if I'm typing more than just a search or URL.

I typed this post on it. It's super easy and intuitive.

13. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

I'm one of those that types faster on it. I'm not a touch typist so that might have a bit to do with it the letters are just so much easier to see that I don't have to pause at all my typing sounds like a machine gun rofl you don't have to abbreviate anything or capitalize it either the iPad does that automatically for you so it makes it a lot faster.

Just typed all this without using anything other than letters the iPad did the rest.

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Im pleased with it. I type with a hybrid touch-type + hunt & peck that I've "perfected" over the years. I'm a reasonably fast and accurate typist with my bastardized typing style. No problem adjusting to the iPad even after less than an hours' use.

My wife is a touch-typist. She's having a little harder of a time since she can't rest her fingers on the home keys. It'll take her a while to adapt most likely.

15. Pared macrumors 65816

If I sit it on my lap, I have absolutely no issues typing at all. I don't know about holding it up, though. Seems difficult to do.

16. freitas macrumors member

Landscape is great! Still not as good as a keyboard for the touch typists. But way better than the iPhone. Portrait is a bit clunky with thumbs. Overall much more usable than I ever imagined. Typing this post on the iPad now. The only gripe is that it would be nice to have cursor keys to quickly reposition the cursor.

17. OriginalNerd macrumors newbie

OriginalNerd

I really like the keyboard. I can easily type on it without making many mistakes. It seems to be very reactive to fast touches and you can easily flow through the message. I can see using it to type long messages without issue. He only thing you need is a comfortable position with it on your lap and you are good to go. So far I really like it.

18. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

It's a lot easier than I thought it would be. In portrait, I like using my thumbs. My hands are big enough so I can.

I haven't tried landscape much yet.