Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

121314-chitika_ipad_traffic.jpg

All Things Digital reports on new research from ad firm Chitika predicting that the iPad will account for over 2% of all Web traffic in North America by the end of next year.
As of this month, the iPad accounts for 0.83 percent of all traffic on Chitika's network, research director Daniel Ruby tells me. And at current growth rates, which have been steady since the device's launch, it should hit 2.3 percent by the end of next year.
Chitika offers an extensive ad network serving over three billion ads per month on over 100,000 sites, and thus serves as a reasonable gauge of Web traffic in general.

Ruby also notes that the iPad is already matching Linux in terms of Web market share in North America according to Chitika's numbers. A report several months ago indicated that iOS as a whole had surpassed Linux on a global usage share basis, but did not break out iPad-specific numbers.

Data from the third quarter of 2010 released earlier this week estimated that the iPad represents 8% of worldwide mobile PC sales, nearly double the share of Apple's Mac notebook lines.

Article Link: iPad Predicted to Represent 2% of North American Web Traffic by End of 2011

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
The more the better -- should bode well for HTML-5 adoption.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
at current growth rates, which have been steady since the device's launch

Heh, just wait till Christmas is over, and then iPad 2.0 next year. That trend line growth rate is going to increase very soon.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Personally... I think they're underestimating. If iPad 2.0 does not disappoint (which I know... there are a couple members here that if SJ doesn't deliver their iPad on a silver platter and do their laundry, they'll be disappointed no matter what Apple does... :D )... anyway... if iPad 2.0 is a strong as indications may be and Apple keeps upping the game like they have, I think the numbers are low. I know way too many people that want one but are waiting for 2.0.

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
It has to be so because Chitika is extremely competent in making Ipad "projections". Like the time they projected the initial sales projections and counted every sold Ipad initially twice and finally four or five times until giving up the project altogether.

Funny that they've got guts to be back making projections. And funny that MacRumors editors don't remember the epic failures of past. But hey, a rumor is a rumor is site traffic!

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
If true, that is a harsh blow to Linux. Simple (some would say dumbed down) and inexpensive would seem to trump free but too complicated to be used by most people.

Seems obvious, and I would bet that is how it will shake out, but don't over simplify. Open source work in general, including Linux, has done a lot for Apple. I hope the relationship doesn't sour. Linux makes a good development environment, and great servers, and many Apple projects would be far less if OSS weren't around.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
According to MY research, it will be 13.543% by the end of 2011.

I think Chitika needs to check their math.

In the mean time, I have this bridge that I'm not really using anymore...it's still in great shape, practically new for all intents and purposes...I just haven't been giving it the attention it deserves. Please email me with a reasonable offer, and I'll get back to you. Low-ball offers will be ignored.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Oops sorry I didn't know I used meh iPad so much! ;)

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
wow, a Chitika estimate and a link to the mind bending estimate from DisplaySearch... Macrumors hitting on all cylinders today :rolleyes:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

The revolution is well underway, folks.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Good in some respects horrible in others considering these products are so net dependent and Apple bowed out of the Server game. HTML 5 won't be ratified until I think 2013. This leaves a lot of time for companies that may not like Flash or Apple to build a loose HTML5 specification that works better for Windows and/or Linux in some browser other than Safari just to smart Apple and open up room for more of the incoming tablets that aren't from Apple.

Apple should buy into the server market just to protect their long term investments/position in the market.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Good in some respects horrible in others considering these products are so net dependent and Apple bowed out of the Server game. HTML 5 won't be ratified until I think 2013. This leaves a lot of time for companies that may not like Flash or Apple to build a loose HTML5 specification that works better for Windows and/or Linux in some browser other than Safari just to smart Apple and open up room for more of the incoming tablets that aren't from Apple.

Can you spell Silverlight? ;)

Microsoft even demo'd Silverlight applications (1080p video) running on an Ipad during their recent Silverlight conference.

micro-642x497.png

Apple should buy into the server market just to protect their long term investments/position in the market.

Apple had a wonderful opportunity to do just that by announcing a partnership with either a Tier 1 x64 server vendor or VMware when Apple killed the Xserve.

But they didn't.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
No USB port
No SD slot
No OS X
No camera(s)
No Flash
"Walled Garden"
Just a big iPod
Another in a long string of colossal Apple failures
It'll never sell
:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

But I love mine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.