iPad Pro iPad Pro 10.5” Transfer speeds test

Discussion in 'iPad' started by d5aqoëp, Jun 6, 2019.

1. d5aqoëp, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

I got the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter for transferring files between my iPad Pro 10.5” and Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB USB 3 flash drive which has USB 3.1 Type A connector.

File used: A 4 GB ipsw firmware file and timed the transfer using stop watch to calculate speed.
    Result? Success. It really works

Pros:
    • Yes it works. My flash drive is seen as EXTREME256 in Files app of iOS 13 beta 1.
    • Transfer speed from flash drive to iPad was 88 MBps which is higher than USB 2 speeds which cap out at under 40 MBps.
    • Now you can download huge files to iPad using Safari and transfer them back to your flash drives using this specific adaptter
    Cons:
    • Needed to be powered by inserting a lightning charging cable into the dongle to power the device.
    • Transfer speed from iPad to flash drive was 38 MBps which is mediocre and is USB 2 type speed.
    • Files app hanged crashed many times when Copy function was used. I had to use Move option which resulted in Copy on both devices and did not delete the file from source destination.
    Link to buy the connector on amazon.com
    https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-USB3-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM

2. 01011010 macrumors newbie

Can you please which connector did you use for the flash drive?

3. d5aqoëp thread starter macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

I used USB 3.1 Type-A connector as that is the connector on Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter (Not USB-C)

4. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

Impressive! Didn’t think it’d work like that.

5. 01011010 macrumors newbie

Thank you

6. john.spirou Suspended

john.spirou

So, if you are on the road... You can't do that... Such a shame. You need to carry a power bank for this.