iPad Pro iPad Pro 11” Screen Issue?

LouiseG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Scotland
Just picked up my new iPad Pro 11” today. On setting up I felt something sticky on the side where the pencil charges. On closer inspection it appears there is a very very small gap between screen and metal. This follows all the way down the side. Other 3 sides appear ok and screen goes right to the metal.

Anyone saw similar? I attempted to photograph it. Arrow points to where sticky part is more prominent, can just see the small extra black spot.

IMG_7961.jpg

zea

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
My 12.9 is like this too. Just the top (where the pencil goes), it’s flush on all the other sides. It’s a very tiny gap, and can’t ever really notice it. No issues so far. I decided it was fine enough as the rest of the iPad is perfect.

VSMacOne

macrumors 601
Oct 18, 2008
I would take it back. I’d hate to have issues with the seal later down the road.

Royksöpp

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
A small gap is perfectly normal. I've had a very small gap like that on all my iPads (Air, Air 2, 10.5). However, yours is unusually wide. I would return or exchange it.

LouiseG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Scotland
I took my iPad back to John Lewis today and they have agreed to swap. Unfortunately they didn’t have any stock so I am getting one shipped out. Hopefully no issues with that one when it arrives!

Reactions: Mr.C

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Mine does not have this issue either I just checked mine. I’d say, why not go ahead and exchange it.

Danz91

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
Well guys I think I have finally found a fix!
After 3 replacement iPad pros over the last 8 months and trying almost everything it turns out that all you need to do is go to Settings>Accessibility then disable Tap to Wake and restart your device.
Since doing this 2 weeks ago I have not noticed a single stutter, everything has been smooth.

I suggest that everybody try this for a week or so and report back on here to let us know how it goes.