Ipad Pro 12.9” (2018) vs 10.5”

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ofarlig, Jan 12, 2019 at 8:49 AM.

1. ofarlig macrumors regular

I got a good deal on a 10.5” iPad Pro a month or so ago and I been using it with the keyboard cover since then. I use it both as a laptop replacement instead of my Macbook Pro I sold and as a tablet. I don’t really work on my iPad at all as I have a work laptop for that so it is mostly browsing, doing some bills /investments and other private economy stuff, netflix/youtube and such.

Lately I been thinking about getting the 12.9” 2018 model instead to have more real estate for doing dual screen of apps and such but I am wondering if it will become too unwielding.

How is the 12.9” (and the new keyboard in general) to use in your lap/stomach? I often recline and use my 10.5” in my lap or put it on my stomach while laying down to watch youtube and stuff. In certain positions I wish the 10.5” was a bit more sturdy but when I been looking at the 12.9” in the store the footprint seems to be much larger so I am worried it might become harder to use like this.

2. 1rottenapple, Jan 12, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 9:30 AM

1rottenapple macrumors 68000

I got the 12.9 specifically for dual window use. Having a full safari table is great for banking. The smaller iPad sizes uses the mobile safari. Your use sounds like mine. Having a laptop for “work”, the iPad gets used 90% of the time for me. I don’t have the keyboard because for me it defeats what a tablet is for me having a heavy keyboard. With a keyboard I believe it will tell unwield imho and defeats the purpose. I use the 12.9 2018 without a case. I do have a pencil for it. It’s been really great so far and I believe this is apples best product of 2018.

From reviews I think the 12.9 with keyboard is more sturdy compared to previous edition iPad because of the amount of magnets in the new gen iPad Pro.

3. millydog macrumors 6502

millydog

Screen size really does come down to personal preference. I have both of the iPads in question, the 10.5” and the 12.9” 2018. I also have a work laptop as you do.
    So, in regard to iPad usage, I admit to using the 12.9” 95% of the time now and I’ve only been picking up the 10.5” to update the apps on it. I had the 12.9” 2017 model prior to the new one with slimmer bezels and my usage then was more 50-50 between the two iPads, but now that has changed. I’m just using the 12.9” all of the time. I love the size of it at the table, on my recliner, on the couch and also in bed.
    Here’s the ‘but’....I’ve only had my 12.9” for around 3 weeks and I have been on leave from work since having it, so I haven’t been taking it to work with me daily yet. Although, my work laptop stays at work the majority of time so I’ll only be carrying the iPad. I have just ordered a new satchel style handbag that should fit according to measurements. I’ve also ordered the new Brydge Keyboard since I can then use it as a tablet without the keyboard or connect it and have a solid laptop feel for table or recliner when I wish to type for a length of time.
    I’m yet to determine if I will fall back to using my 10.5” for more portability, but I do have the option. I return to work in 2 weeks and I’ll try taking the 12.9” daily and see how it goes.