Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPad Pro iPad Pro 12.9" (2015+2017) Charging issues

weddlec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I have had a 12.9" iPad Pro since day 1. Love it. Mostly use it as a portable media player. After 2.5 years I got a 2nd gen one hoping the battery life or charging issues would get better, they didn't. I even took some advice I saw in multiple places and sprung for the 29 watt USBC Apple charger and the Apple Thunderbolt to Lightning cable. I have never seen it charge faster than 8 watts. They both barely keep up with it on continuous use at full brightness. I have seen minimal performance increase using the USBC charger VS the 12 watt one that came with them. Did this get better with the 2018 ones? Holding out for a mini LED display before getting a new one.

AutomaticApple

macrumors 601
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I have had a 12.9" iPad Pro since day 1. Love it. Mostly use it as a portable media player. After 2.5 years I got a 2nd gen one hoping the battery life or charging issues would get better, they didn't. I even took some advice I saw in multiple places and sprung for the 29 watt USBC Apple charger and the Apple Thunderbolt to Lightning cable. I have never seen it charge faster than 8 watts. They both barely keep up with it on continuous use at full brightness. I have seen minimal performance increase using the USBC charger VS the 12 watt one that came with them. Did this get better with the 2018 ones? Holding out for a mini LED display before getting a new one.
You could buy one and return it within the 14 day return period if the problem isn't fixed.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.