Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ascarafarastane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2017
un po' qua e un po' la
Hello, I read this article https://www.macstories.net/ios/testing-apples-29w-usb-c-power-adapter-and-ipad-pro-fast-charging/ stating that we could use the new usb-c power adaptor for macbook ( the 29W one ) to charge our ipad pro 12.9 faster. I asked about it to the Apple care and they didn't know anything about it apart that it's not the original power adaptor for ipad pro 12.9; what is it then, just a nerd thing that maybe works but could damage the ipad or shorten its battery life or is it for real?

sorcery

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Ring of Fire
The iDevices have some sort of smart battery charge protection so should work fine. Both in theory and practice.
The manufacturer also said that about the Boeing 787. And while that aircraft has only experienced a few in-flight battery ignitions, I shall remain charging my toys slowly, overnight, unless my usage profile changes.

Ascarafarastane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2017
un po' qua e un po' la
The iDevices have some sort of smart battery charge protection so should work fine. Both in theory and practice.
The manufacturer also said that about the Boeing 787. And while that aircraft has only experienced a few in-flight battery ignitions, I shall remain charging my toys slowly, overnight, unless my usage profile changes.
ahah, a little too paranoid for me, but I guess I got your point. Still I already bought the 29W adaptor so I'll let you know ;)

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
ahah, a little too paranoid for me, but I guess I got your point. Still I already bought the 29W adaptor so I'll let you know ;)

No need to be paranoid, Phil Schiller himself mentioned the fast charge capability. Frankly I'd be a lot more concerned about charging a Note 7, yet there are plenty of people who refused to return it.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I had my iPad Pro 12.9 from December 2 2015 to the release of the 9.7 iPad Pro mid march 2016 before I purchased the USB c power adapter and USB c to Lightning I love how fast it charges I'm still using it every day

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
...meaning what?

There's nothing to worry about charging your 12.9" iPad Pro @ 29W. Trying to be paranoid is silly - people take far greater risks with their electronics than merely charging something that was designed to be charged at that speed.

You don't see people charging their laptops using a 5W adapter for safety reasons, do you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.