iPad Pro iPad Pro 12.9 gen 2 review

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fabianvs, Jun 21, 2017.

?

What’s your favorite new iPad?

1. 10.5

80 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. 12.9

154 vote(s)
    65.8%
  1. fabianvs macrumors regular

fabianvs

2. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

3. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I've been to the Apple Store 5 times playing about with them both. Original idea was to upgrade my current 9.7" Pro to the 10.5 but every time I see that 12.9", wow!

My iPad comes with me to the office and therefore the size and whether it will fit in my current backpack matters. Haven't worked up the courage just yet to ask a Store employee if they can put a 12.9" in my backpack to check for me, I can imagine the look I would get!

I'm currently 90/10 towards the 12.9".

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That's what I'm doing. Purchasing both for different needs and uses.

5. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

Just get the Smart Cover for 12.9 off shelf and ask them to allow you to put it in bag - its about the size (sightly bigger) but not weight. But I think 10.5 is good enough if portability is an issue.

My 12.9 won't leave house unless I'm going on holiday. Naturally pick it up when at home on sofa and use with soft pillow on my lap and Smart Cover triangled. The 10.5 comes with me everywhere. I love the fact that these 'mature' devices fulfil my computing needs almost fully - more so when iOS 11 is released.

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I've got the new 12.9 but part of me is thinking of getting the 10.5 celluar 256GB to take out and about and take to work. my old contract is up soon so it would just be starting a new deal

7. MiniMe77 macrumors member

I got the 12.9 but quite tempted to get a 10.5 too! I won't but the temptation is definitely there.

Yesterday I transferred some photos over from my old 9,7 Air 1 and they look soooo good on the 12.9! Enjoying using the pencil for the pigment app too but need to start using it for other 'productive' things. Next step is to go through the Affinity Photos tutorials and try a few things out.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I'm using the pencil so much more with the 12.9 than I ever did on the 9.7

So if that I'm glad I made the jump

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the 10.5, but I keep being tempted by the larger 12.9" 75% of the usage will be home, but I will be traveling with it, and so I think the 10.5 may be better. While I have the temptation, looking coldly at my usage, i.e., what apps do I run, the 10.5 may be better. For instance reading via my kindle app or ibooks app. I think there will be less hand/arm fatigue. playing some games will be easier as those games require tilting/moving the iPad. I'm not sure I'll use the extra space in apps like Excel, though I can see it being useful in PDF Expert and maybe even note taking.

10. joker00 macrumors member

I was thinking 10.5 but bought the 12.9 to see if I would like it.
    So much room - turn sideways and writing a lot! it's a keeper.

11. emembee macrumors regular

emembee

Initial euphoria over 12.9 is likely to wane over time (give it say 3 to 6 months) when you want more portability, but if it is stuck on a desk then you won't feel hard done by. I bought gen1 cellular thinking I would take it outside but never have. Next time will go for 10.5 or smaller.

12. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

I did the opposite. Was afraid that it would be too big. Ended up going with me anywhere

13. fokmik macrumors 68000

hahah, after 30 votes..the score is 50% - 50%
    That how Apple should make their products...same features, but let the users decide about the display size and thats all

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

This is the thing 12.9 is seen as too big to take out and about but for me taking the 12.9 to work I’m more likely to get good usage out of it than anything else with the keyboard. 10.5 I think is perfecr if you are just going to other places and when you get home from a long day you just want to hop on the sofa and use it one handed or on it’s own and just relax it’s ideal.

The best of both worlds is having both. One for at home (12.9) and 10.5 for in bed or just one handed usage and for out and about.

15. Fozziebear71, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

I've had an original 12.9 since they were introduced and it is one of my all-time favorite Apple products. I am going to get two of the new versions as soon as iOS 11 comes out to replace my wife's and mine that we have now. I have read many posts where people say it's too big to take anywhere with you yet many of those same people will take a 13 or 15 inch laptop anywhere. I got the silicone case and ASK for ours when we got them and I take mine everywhere with no problems. Its thinner and lighter than a laptop and the battery life is phenomenal. Can't wait for iOS 11!!!

16. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

I agree with you completely! The 12.9 is phenomenal in every way

17. dhc921 macrumors newbie

12.9 at home, the new 9.7 with cellular in the car and traveling. I don't really need to use the pencil so getting both pro models will be way overkill. The regular 9.7 is just fine for everything but 12.9 is an ideal size for split screen.

If you only want 1 tablet I think 10.5 is a perfect choice.

18. Pspressart macrumors regular

I have had the original 12.9 Ipad since it was introduced. I have taken it everywhere. It goes to work with me. It entertains me at home. It accompanies me when I travel. It is mostly a consumptive device (i do use it for remote support at my office). With all of these parameters, the size has never been a problem. All of the advantages, split screen, for example, have far outweighed the perceived disadvantages. I just ordered a 2017 12.9 iPad with no regrets, to enjoy all the new features.

19. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

How is Duet Display performance wise with new promotion display and A10X ? Still some laggy/jittery screen refreshes or it is much better?

20. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Wife has the 10.5 (wanted something she could fit in most of her purses) but I'll be going for the new 12.9 in a few weeks. I have a great shoulder bag that is small, unobtrusive and stylish that is designed to hold the 12.9 so I've never considered portability legitimate issue. Sure, I don't like using a tablet that large in public but the same goes for the other iPads. I just pull out my iPhone in situations like that.

21. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

I didn't experience any lag or jitter! I am also coming from an iPad Air 2...
    --- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2017 ---
    I totally agree! I've never taken any iPad in public... mini, air or pro!

22. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

Agreed

23. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I can't get over how massive it, unless you NEED the extra canvas for professional illustration I don't see why anyone would get it over a laptop

24. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Well, it is much smaller than my MBP, also much less expensive. I have had my new 12.9" for over a week now and even as a small female, love it! To each his own! I am very much looking forward to IOS 11, just not enough to try the public beta.

25. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Going on two weeks, I love mine. The only thing stopping me from carting this to work is my commute. It is not unwiedly and gets wonderful battery life. I miss it while watching Art tutorials during my lunch hour.