Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I have the iPad Pro 2. Lately, I’ve been having an issue where the screen goes unresponsive. When I try to scroll or click on something, nothing happens. It’s an intermittent issue. Most of the time, the iPad responds as expected. It’s extremely frustrating. Heck, even powering down makes me want to scream because I can’t swipe power down.

Issue isn’t related to battery charge on the device - happened today when it was at 100%.

Any idea what’s causing this? I don’t have Apple Care on this device and hesitate to take it to the Apple Store because the issue is intermittent & they may not be able to reproduce it.

Any ideas?

Pharmaboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2017
I have the iPad Pro 2. Lately, I’ve been having an issue where the screen goes unresponsive. When I try to scroll or click on something, nothing happens. It’s an intermittent issue. Most of the time, the iPad responds as expected. It’s extremely frustrating. Heck, even powering down makes me want to scream because I can’t swipe power down.

Issue isn’t related to battery charge on the device - happened today when it was at 100%.

Any idea what’s causing this? I don’t have Apple Care on this device and hesitate to take it to the Apple Store because the issue is intermittent & they may not be able to reproduce it.

Any ideas?
Yes, mine is also unresponsive from time to time, especially when I play games. VERY frustrating. I run iOS 12 last beta version so I thought it was because of bad optimisation.
It happens when I touch a virtual button for 5 seconds or more.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
To the OP. Take it in and have it looked at. Go to an Apple Store (see below). Have Find My iPad disabled and back it up or a tech will not touch it. Unless they find an actual hardware problem that requires service, you will not be charged. Read the links below.

It is known hardware defect with 2nd gen iPad Pros.
You have a link to this? Nevermind, found one:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ipad-pro-problems/

There are some interesting issues with the 3rd gen (should be fixed in iOS 12.1.2),
https://www.cultofmac.com/595330/ipad-pro-bug-music-apps-stutter/

OTOH, I had a weird issue with my 1st gen 12.9" just last week on 12.1.1. Not quite the same but pretty close. I could not do a force-boot (Sleep and Home buttons for 10 seconds). I had to take it to the Genius Bar where it was wiped and re-set as a new iMac. An authorized service center told me the logic board was fried so I went to an Apple Store where they got me back up and running.

In any case, it's been 6 days and I have had no more problems.

Wondering if this really isn't an iOS 12.1.1 issue.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.