Ipad Pro Magic Keyboard and CoverBuddy combo order thread

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Finally received my 2020 switcheasy case(folio edition), Took longer than expected(3 weeks). First impression is that I like it. I consider it 90% compatibility with the 12.9 ipad pro 2020. When it's facing on back it doesn't close(only negative). But if you have the apple logo facing up, it does close. The switcheasy website only states the 11 inch model (folio edition) has official compatibility with the magic keyboard(see photo) I would still stick to this when the magic keyboard edition comes out because the back not closing doesn't bother me that much, I Will just keep the apple logo facing up and have a screen protector.

A228D0CB-C759-4C8B-B72A-5AF875507DD9.jpeg
5E79D762-32F3-46AA-8ED9-9CFFB9855E9E.jpeg
DB2A47BB-4E21-4DC5-A221-814FDB44E312.jpeg
A5BB5F74-05BC-4BBF-8B5C-3D3A36665F79.jpeg
84F6F23C-AE9A-41C7-AF9E-E8DB52ABA493.jpeg
238B0EE5-F36A-4D17-A8FF-19A36E055B87.jpeg
9DD8046E-EB36-4646-BCD5-76CE5A5AE42F.jpeg
535D4369-4679-4943-B88C-2189A3FD39B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: The Game 161
Comment

Greg DeChant

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2020
Finally received my 2020 switcheasy case, Took longer than expected(3 weeks). First impression is that I like it. I consider it 90% compatibility with the 12.9 ipad pro 2020. When it's facing on back it doesn't close(only negative). But if you have the apple logo facing up, it does close. The switcheasy website only states the 11 inch model has official compatibility with the magic keyboard(see photo) I wonder if they would fix this in the future. But I would still stick to this because the back not closing doesn't bother me that much, I Will just keep the apple logo facing up and have a screen protector.

View attachment 915761 View attachment 915762 View attachment 915763 View attachment 915764 View attachment 915765 View attachment 915766 View attachment 915767 View attachment 915771
Switcheasy has announced a new version of the Coverbuddy specifically for the 12.9 iPad Magic Keyboard. It's not available yet, but you can apparently pre-order it from Switcheasy.com. Here's an official video of the product:

Last edited:
Comment

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Finally received my 2020 switcheasy case(folio edition), Took longer than expected(3 weeks). First impression is that I like it. I consider it 90% compatibility with the 12.9 ipad pro 2020. When it's facing on back it doesn't close(only negative). But if you have the apple logo facing up, it does close. The switcheasy website only states the 11 inch model (folio edition) has official compatibility with the magic keyboard(see photo) I would still stick to this when the magic keyboard edition comes out because the back not closing doesn't bother me that much, I Will just keep the apple logo facing up and have a screen protector.

View attachment 915761 View attachment 915762 View attachment 915763 View attachment 915764 View attachment 915765 View attachment 915766 View attachment 915767 View attachment 915771
Switcheasy has announced a new version of the Coverbuddy specifically for the 12.9 iPad Magic Keyboard. It's not available yet, but you can apparently pre-order it from Switcheasy.com. Here's an official video of the product:
Yes. I made edits while u were typing. Thanks

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Thinking if to pre-order or not. I think it would be useful guessing it will be quite expensive with shipping costs as well?
- - Post merged: - -

Last edited:
Reactions: SimonMScott
Comment

The_Joker13

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2016
Florida
I’d order if not for the pencil holster and it still missing one side of protection. Not at all interested in a pencil for my iPad. So close, ugh.

Comment

SimonMScott

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Thinking if to pre-order or not. I think it would be useful guessing it will be quite expensive with shipping costs as well?
- - Post merged: - -
For the (doesn’t quite fit 2020 12.9” I ordered originally/stupidly) the shipping was around $25 for express shipping to UK.

Comment

SimonMScott

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Here’s my review / verdict on the 11” CoverBuddy!

@SimonMScott - feedback welcome! 🙏
@ahojfelixi - Great review! Well done. Very in depth and for 11” owners it looks pretty much perfect for their needs (as you say)! You forgot to mention how the Apple Pencil holder on the CoverBuddy also helps you to open the Magic Keyboard case too! :)

Glad it’s working out for you also, as I know you were hoping it would!

Also....

Update from SwitchEasy on updated CoverBuddy:

I got an email back from SwitchEasy about me enquiring about a few CoverBuddy issues:

When will the updated CoverBuddy for 12.9” iPad Pro be released?

“On or around 30th May.”

I suggested expanding the USB-C port/opening on the CoverBuddy to allow different size connectors/hubs, etc

“You asked me about if we can make width only expand because the cutout is small and can’t adjust the height because no room, right? I asked my team today, we will have a brand new tooling, the type c port cutout in this new tooling is a little bigger, because team modified the shape of this cutout to oval shape. I don’t know exactly how big that is until the final product comes out, which take about 55 days, will be ready around late June.

For CoverBuddy 12.9” version that works with the magic keyboard: this is not from the brand new tooling so the cutout is still small as the photo I sent to you earlier today. This will be available around end of May, probably on or around 30th May.”

Conclusion:

It wasn’t mentioned if the USB-C cutout would also be altered for the 11” AND 12.9” version, but I would say if anyone is still looking to purchase a CoverBuddy (especially for the 2020 versions for iPad Pro) I would hold off until June to get the best version for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahojfelixi
Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
@ahojfelixi - Great review! Well done. Very in depth and for 11” owners it looks pretty much perfect for their needs (as you say)! You forgot to mention how the Apple Pencil holder on the CoverBuddy also helps you to open the Magic Keyboard case too! :)

Glad it’s working out for you also, as I know you were hoping it would!

Also....

Update from SwitchEasy on updated CoverBuddy:

I got an email back from SwitchEasy about me enquiring about a few CoverBuddy issues:

When will the updated CoverBuddy for 12.9” iPad Pro be released?

“On or around 30th May.”

I suggested expanding the USB-C port/opening on the CoverBuddy to allow different size connectors/hubs, etc

“You asked me about if we can make width only expand because the cutout is small and can’t adjust the height because no room, right? I asked my team today, we will have a brand new tooling, the type c port cutout in this new tooling is a little bigger, because team modified the shape of this cutout to oval shape. I don’t know exactly how big that is until the final product comes out, which take about 55 days, will be ready around late June.

For CoverBuddy 12.9” version that works with the magic keyboard: this is not from the brand new tooling so the cutout is still small as the photo I sent to you earlier today. This will be available around end of May, probably on or around 30th May.”

Conclusion:

It wasn’t mentioned if the USB-C cutout would also be altered for the 11” AND 12.9” version, but I would say if anyone is still looking to purchase a CoverBuddy (especially for the 2020 versions for iPad Pro) I would hold off until June to get the best version for you.
Their customer service really does seem great but got to wonder why they didn’t just release one when it’s ready so the one on 30th may plus an even updated version?

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I know, it does seem great but also, why make so many different versions??
I have found I’m using my Apple Pencil more and more so I’m tempted to order the new version. I don’t use the USB port for anything but charging is the new version out from 30th may I think would be fine

That said don’t know if having a skin would be an issue with this case

Comment

SimonMScott

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2020
UK
I have found I’m using my Apple Pencil more and more so I’m tempted to order the new version. I don’t use the USB port for anything but charging is the new version out from 30th may I think would be fine

That said don’t know if having a skin would be an issue with this case
Hmmm...not sure. I guess if you want the most up to date version and be “safe” I would wait until June? Totally up to everyone’s needs though. I personally would like the larger USB-C opening, if only for attaching SSDs etc..

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hmmm...not sure. I guess if you want the most up to date version and be “safe” I would wait until June? Totally up to everyone’s needs though. I personally would like the larger USB-C opening, if only for attaching SSDs etc..
True, it sure will confuse people when they bring out another model ha

Comment

drkknte

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
Since I am beginning to use my iPad and MK more as a laptop, I’m exploring an semi-competitor‘s product. Its a modified case that cover the top half of the MK case with the iPad... like a bumper. It will be here tomorrow, but here is the link and a picture from a review with the MK. The risk is Less than $20, so we shall see!

i-Blason Case for iPad Pro 12.9 Inch (3rd Generation) 2018, [for Use ONLY with Smart Keyboard; Compatible with Official Smart Folio] [Halo V2.0] Clear Protective Case with Pencil Holder, Black, 12.9" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PQWGF1P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_fisZEbQ5FGPEN

C078EBFD-043D-4CB9-B064-F1B00FB55571.jpeg

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.