Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit is in the process of tearing down the iPad Pro, providing a closer look at how Apple organized the internals of the larger iPad. While the majority of the internal layout is similar to the iPad Air 2, there are some significant differences, including the inclusion of a brand new four-speaker audio setup.

ipadprospeaker.jpg

Each corner of the iPad Pro has a speaker driver sitting next to a capped resonance chamber. Each speaker is designed identically, as the iPad Pro shifts the speaker's function depending on the orientation of the device. The two speakers on top provide higher frequencies while the bottom speakers provide lower frequencies.

Once it removed the speaker drivers, iFixit uncapped the volume chambers, which Apple says gives the iPad Pro's speakers 61 percent more "back volume" than previous iPads. Underneath the carbon fiber caps are enclosures filled with foam, which are used to amplify the speaker's sound. However, iFixit notes that the speakers take up a significant amount space that could have been used to increase battery capacity by 50 percent. Previous iPads, due to the lack of premium speakers, were able to dedicate a greater proportion of space to battery capacity.

One of the first changes the team at iFixit noticed was that the logic board has moved to the center of the device, unlike previous iPads where it was off to the side. Additionally, the logic board's shielding had to be removed before iFixit was able to remove the logic board itself, unlike previous iPads.

ipadproteardownbattery.jpg

The teardown also found that the iPad Pro uses the DP695 Timing Controller, which may be an iteration of the DP665 LCD timing controller found in the 5K Retina iMac. However, as noted by iFixit, the iPad Pro's timing controller is likely modified to better use the display's refresh rate. Also, the teardown experts found that Apple has added adhesive pull tabs under the iPad's batteries, making them easier to remove.

Finally, iFixit's teardown offers physical confirmation that the iPad Pro includes 4 GB of RAM, which was confirmed by Apple's own Xcode tools in mid-September.

iFixit's teardown is ongoing, and this post will be updated if any other significant discoveries are made.

Update: iFixit has discovered that the iPad Pro has a 10307 mAh battery.

Update 2: iFixit has given the iPad Pro a repairability score of 3 out of 10, noting that the Smart Connector is unlikely to fail given its lack of moving parts and despite it being "virtually impossible to replace." The main issue is that the iPad Pro uses a lot of adhesive to hold everything together, making things difficult to replace.

Article Link: iFixit Teardown Reveals iPad Pro's Four-Speaker Design Fills Space That Could Have Held 50% More Battery

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Id rather a bigger battery than better speakers to be honest.. The only sounds my iPad air makes out loud at the moment is notifications.. if I even have it off silent. Everything else goes through my Beats Studios or EarPods.

I guess the question is how much the extra battery would weigh. I doubt the speakers way as much as the battery would!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Of course this is the only headline MR could have chosen. :rolleyes:

Stupid Apple putting decent speakers in this device. Because no one will be using it to consume audio or video and if they do they'd surely be using headphones or Bluetooth speakers. And using that space for bigger batteries wouldn't make the device heavier and more uncomfortable to hold for longer periods of time. /s

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Id rather a bigger battery than better speakers to be honest.. The only sounds my iPad air makes out loud at the moment is notifications.. if I even have it off silent. Everything else goes through my Beats Studios or EarPods.

For every one of you, there' s another that takes the opposite stance. Apple has obviously settled on 10hrs being the goal for battery life when it comes to iPads. At least for now.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I guess they were going for a balance of weight, battery life and speaker quality. When they first showed the 4 speaker design the first thought I had was all the space that could have otherwise been used for battery. 50% more battery could have caused it to approach 2 lbs (maybe?) of weight though.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Did you all see there is a USB 3.0 controller on board. I wonder what that will be used for in the future. That is a first in a tear down a chipset that is not used or not obviously used yet. I wonder if they have plans to release a lighting to usb 3.0 break out box.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
I guess the question is how much the extra battery would weigh. I doubt the speakers way as much as the battery would!
the speakers are tiny, their enclosures are what take up space. watch the iPad pro announcement video. and yes I am sure if they filled all that space with batteries it would be quite a bit heavier

XMZ-250

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2014
Home
So you'd rather need 50% battery and no speakers? Duh!
It would still have a speaker, but the problem is it took up a large space inside the device. Majority of the internal of the speaker is almost an empty space probably used to make less vibrating inside the iPad.
image.png

Reactions: scarecrowmac

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Did you all see there is a USB 3.0 controller on board. I wonder what that will be used for in the future. That is a first in a tear down a chipset that is not used or not obviously used yet. I wonder if they have plans to release a lighting to usb 3.0 break out box.

It's used by the dock connector for the keyboard.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Honestly, you can't please everyone. Everyone always knows better than someone else.

I think Apple struck a good balance between sound/battery/weight/performance. 10 hours is excellent to me for a screen so large. If you're using it at a desk, you will be close to power so can charge. On the go, seems perfect to me for 10 hours. I am extremely happy they improved the speakers. That's been one point of contention on Apple devices. Across their entire line.

If Apple increased the battery, it would have added weight and everyone would be complaining about how HEAVY it is. Lol. Its never good enough for some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.